Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX Sedan, 2004 Mitsubishi Montero Limited, 2008 Suzuki GSX650F, 1985 Kawasaki LTD 454
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to install fog lights and a grille with chrome surround on my 2013 Rio LX Sedan. Should not be too difficult. Just take the bumper off and install the new parts.

So I checked www.kiatechinfo.com to see how the bumper should be removed and I started the job. Only to find out that after following all the steps on kiatechinfo, the bumper was still stuck on the car. I pulled pretty hard on the bumper it so see if it would just pop loose. But it didn't. Pulling any harder would probably break something, so I spent some time figuring out how to SAFELY remove that front bumper.

Below is a description of how I did it. Perhaps this is helpful to other people on the forum.

Follow step 1-5 from Kiatechinfo

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX Sedan, 2004 Mitsubishi Montero Limited, 2008 Suzuki GSX650F, 1985 Kawasaki LTD 454
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

According to Kiatechinfo, you can now remove the bumper. Yeah right. It's still very stuck!

Remove the head lamp units. Disconnect the connector. Remove the 2 bolts and pull the head lamp out. Lift it up a bit on the rear mounting tab, then pull it toward the front of the car. It should pop out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You will notice that the bumper is still secured to the car in the red circled areas. You can try and just yank it out, but I didn't want to ruin my front bumper.

Each side bracket (left and right) is mounted to the fender with 3 white plastic clips. You need to loosen the screw in each clip, so you can push the 3 white clips down through the fender holes.

The only way I was able to get to those Phillips head screw was with a small precision ratchet screwdriver that I bought at Home Depot. Work through the head lamp opening. Use a long Phillips head bit, the type you would use with cordless drills.
Don't take the screws all the way out, just unscrew them far enough so that you can squeeze the white clips down enough where they fit through the holes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Now you can see why the kiatechinfo method only works in fairy tales. The bumper has 3 snap fits (see red arrows) on that side bracket. You have to pull REALLY hard to get those off and I think the risk of damage is high.

Now the bumper is only connected in 2 more places (see red circle):

There are 2 snaps on each side (red arrow). Simply open them up a bit with a flat screwdriver and pull the bumper off the car

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now the bumper comes off!

Swap out the grille:

And install the lower grille plus fog lights:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

And....done!

Now do the wiring (I used a generic wiring kit from Ebay with switch, relay, etc), and just soldered it to the cables on the Kia fog lights.

Put everything back together in reversed order.

Hope this is helpful :)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
The front bar is pretty strong. It may look flimsy but it can take a lot. What i find is easy is you start in one corner and work your way around to the other. One big yank in each corner is all you need and its off.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the "big yank method" can work. But I think there's a fifty-fifty shot that you break a tab.

I pulled this picture from the Internet. That is exactly what would happen:

I think my method is safer. But yes, it is a bit more work ;)

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
Yup I tried the yank method yesterday and broke the first tab just like the photo. Going to do your method next since I took off the headlamps yesterday (easy to do) and seen how they were actually attached. Installed the new Turbokits CAI yesterday and it would have been much easier with that damn bumper off but I couldn't find the tool to reach the screws. Heading to homedepot to grab that tool.
Thanks for the post. Wish I had seen it yesterday.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
Quick tug to pop them over the grooves. I used my fist to give it a quick nudge. Pulling slowly doesn't do it for mine. If you can get your hand to lift upwards from the bottom while doing the quick tug helps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are 2 mounting tabs on the headlights (where the screws go). Pull the rear tab up a bit, and at the same time give the headlight a good pull/tug towards the front. It should pop out.

Without pulling the rear tab upwards, I could not get the headlight to pop out either.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
Quick tug to pop them over the grooves. I used my fist to give it a quick nudge. Pulling slowly doesn't do it for mine. If you can get your hand to lift upwards from the bottom while doing the quick tug helps.
There are 2 mounting tabs on the headlights (where the screws go). Pull the rear tab up a bit, and at the same time give the headlight a good pull/tug towards the front. It should pop out.

Without pulling the rear tab upwards, I could not get the headlight to pop out either.
That damn rear tab was making it a nightmare to remove the light! Got there in the end, after about 15 minutes.
Put a little bit of non-reactive lubricant in there to make it a bit easier to remove it next time. Genius.
I had to abandon my horn installation after I managed to only unscrew the front screws on the bumper and needed the car. Its very, very difficult to get the access to the rest :/

·
Registered
Kia Rio YB . GT-line 2018
213 Posts
That damn rear tab was making it a nightmare to remove the light! Got there in the end, after about 15 minutes.
Put a little bit of non-reactive lubricant in there to make it a bit easier to remove it next time. Genius.
I had to abandon my horn installation after I managed to only unscrew the front screws on the bumper and needed the car. Its very, very difficult to get the access to the rest :/
when i chanced my horn i just take out my right headlight ant unscrew en fastend the new horn thru the botom grill so i dit not take of the bumper

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio5 EX
203 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I'm trying to figure out how to remove my headlights. So all I need to do is remove those two screws on top and then work a little magic by where the rear screw went right? That's it? I DO NOT have to take off the bumper first to remove the headlights?

·
Registered
Kia Rio YB . GT-line 2018
213 Posts
Thats correct
Just thè 2 bots
ten lift up te tabs where te bolts where there is a litle tab so the headlight can not move forwarts
and then give te headlight a push forwarts
i only take out the centerplate between te headlights and the plugs of the top part of the bumper

1 - 20 of 29 Posts