Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get the crankshaft pulley bolt undone / done up on my Carnival's 2.5l K5 (KV6) engine without the engine rotating?

I notice the Rover KV6 has a locking pin - where's that on the Kia engine, I can't spot it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To answer my question, it looks like Kia's KV6 doesn't have provision for the flywheel locking pin that the original Rover KV6 had (seems like the starter motor has occupied that place on the Kia engine).

So I just hired an electric impact wrench to get it off (was hoping to avoid that (albeit modest) expense if it wasn't necessary).

So how do you torque the thing back up to "115-123 Ib-ft (157-167 Nm, 16-17 kg-m)" that the manual states without the crankshaft rotating? Or isn't it really as critical as the torque limits that the Kia manual would suggest? and just use the rattle gun again to do it up?

·
Registered
2001 Kia Carnival 2.5L manual & 2000 Carnival Auto
320 Posts
Example: if the 400ft.lb rattle gun has 4 torque settings.
Use the 4 to undo, and 3 to do back up quick.
(about right with air pressure/mechanical losses)
Initial undoing can sometimes take about 8 cycles of rattle - build pressure - rattle again....

Ensure the balancer pulley & retaining plate washer is seated correctly during re-assembly.

The crank balance pulley driving the air con/altenator should also inspected.
Its prone to disintegrating - Only pressed fit onto central hub.
Bit of a mystery - but sometimes happens after a service...

It can't be that the pulley is loose & wobbling !
Cause after driving 50km without the altenator drive belt - limit before battery dies...
I still needed to rattle the crankcase bolt off..

If anybody can share some thoughts...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Digital Impact Wrench

I bought one of these: Demac Digital Impact Wrench 1200. $A129 freight included. (Australian outlet, I'm sure it'd be available in other regions).

Has an inbuilt digital torque meter on the do-up direction. So to do up my crank pulley bolt I just dialed 160Nm on the screen & pulled the trigger. Done 2,000km since and the pulley hasn't fallen off.

I did some rough & none too scientific comparisons with my torque wrench using a bolt in a bit of 4x2 and it seems reasonably accurate.

I wouldn't be too quick to follow the advice in their blurb though - "Throw out that old torque wrench" - as the thing starts at 150Nm.

Can't comment on robustness as so far its only done one pulley bolt and two wheels, but I guess at that price it'd be an 'occasional-use-only' device. Fine for me! Worth it just for the speed & convenience of taking wheels on & off.

Cheers,
Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts