Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the cargo drawer above the ash tray drawer in a 2003 Sorento? There must be some way to release the retainer that is holding it in. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
You have to take out the side plastic bits that run from under the windshield to the the gear stick area. (some have them woodgrained). They are the bits that have the centre air vents in them. Once you remove them you will see some screws holding in the the whole HVAC system and the draws your mention (ash tray). Once that whole unit is out, from memory at the back of it is more screws that holds them all together...

Hope that is clear...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

At the risk of appearing really stupid, how do you remove those side panels where the center vents are located?

Just to be clear, I am referring to the drawer directly under the three ac, heating and fan knobs in the picture. It seems like there should be some kind of latch to just be able to pop the drawer out. Maybe that is just too easy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
We are talking about the same draw at least.
From memory, its screwed into place from the back, and to get to it you need to remove what i mentioned earlier.

I use this to remove the air vent plastics.
Auto Car Door Panel Trim Audio Refit Remover Tool Yellow Silver Tone | eBay
OR
Monza Car Trim Remover 5 Piece Set on eBay!

I have the full set like the red one and find it comes in handy for a fair few things.

To remove the centre air vents, i start at the bottom with one of those plastic tools so i dont scratch the plastic. You can use a screw driver (maybe with some towel over it to try not to scratch) but basically wedge it at the very bottom of the long piece that houses the air vent. Down around the cigarette lighter area.
If you open the bottom two draws, you should be able to get a good start on it. Then work you way up slowly and it just unclips all the way.
Behind them is the screws that hold the air con controls (HVAC) and the two bottom draws. Unscrew and then unplug the HVAC system. Remember which plug goes where.
(you may need to take the clock out first, cant remember if the clock unit slips over the top.)

Take out this whole unit and take it to a workbench or something. Lay it down on a towel or something not to scratch.
From the back of the unit, there is more screws that hold the draw into the whole thing. Unscrew them and the draw is free.

I took mine apart completely, from memory the draw does not simply pop out. This is due to the teeth/cogs that allow it to come out slowly and eject via the one push.

Can i ask what your trying to achieve?

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you take a look the swiggly line shows around the unit shows that that is all one piece.
And the arrow shows the best place to start pulling at. On the inside where the draws are. Just open the draws.
When installing i found its best to start clipping it back at the top.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts