Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not seeing how to get this bad boy out. I see no screws, so I assume it's clips, but I'm afraid to pry too hard in case I'm missing something. Any insight?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind, I should've kept at it for a few more minutes and I figured it out.

If anyone else ever needs the info, all you need to do is pull out the ashtray and remove the screw behind there. Then pull off the recirculate knob, it just pulls off. Then pull on the trim that surrounds the radio, a/c controls, etc. It will pop off, just held on by clips. You will need to undo 2 electrical plugs here. Or you can just kinda hang it off to the side. Next you need to remove the two screws that are holding the upper half of the dash on, they are just above where the radio sits. Lower the steering column all the way if you have tilt wheel. Now you just need to start pulling on the upper dash piece towards you. It's all held on by little clips, and there are a bunch of them. Just kinda start working it from side to side and pulling. You will need to unplug a few more electrical connections, mine had 2, one for hazards switch, and one for the rear defrost. Some might have a 3rd, but my car just has a dummy switch there. Once the upper dash panel is out, all you need to do is remove the 4 gold colored screws, pull the cluster out a bit, and undo the 2 electrical connectors plugged into the back of it.

Now for me, I was swapping for a cluster with a tach. In order to keep the proper mileage, I had to dissassemble the cluster and swap the speedometer. There are a bunch of little tabs you need to press down & out to get the cluster surround away from the guage cluster itself. Once this is done, simply unscrew the 5 centrally located screws on the backside of the cluster, swap the speedo (it simply lifts out) with the one from your donor cluster.

Re-installation is the reverse order. Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
107 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about using that third dummy switch to mount a cruise control box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Rio with TACH!

WOW! Thanks for the Perfect Instructions StealthTT. It took me only about half an hour to take apart my dash and insert my CALIFORNIA cluster from ebay in my CANADIAN Rio. (hint these instuctions are good for 1G Rio's, it is different on newer models) ;)
It was actually cheaper to pay $40 on shipping from ebay for a KIA RIO cluster than buying a CHEAP working aftermarket Tach locally. :banana:
:hyper: Thank you :auto:
If anyone else ever needs the info, all you need to do is pull out the ashtray and remove the screw behind there. Then pull off the recirculate knob, it just pulls off. Then pull on the trim that surrounds the radio, a/c controls, etc. It will pop off, just held on by clips. You will need to undo 2 electrical plugs here. Or you can just kinda hang it off to the side. Next you need to remove the two screws that are holding the upper half of the dash on, they are just above where the radio sits. Lower the steering column all the way if you have tilt wheel. Now you just need to start pulling on the upper dash piece towards you. It's all held on by little clips, and there are a bunch of them. Just kinda start working it from side to side and pulling. You will need to unplug a few more electrical connections, mine had 2, one for hazards switch, and one for the rear defrost. Some might have a 3rd, but my car just has a dummy switch there. Once the upper dash panel is out, all you need to do is remove the 4 gold colored screws, pull the cluster out a bit, and undo the 2 electrical connectors plugged into the back of it.

Now for me, I was swapping for a cluster with a tach. In order to keep the proper mileage, I had to dissassemble the cluster and swap the speedometer. There are a bunch of little tabs you need to press down & out to get the cluster surround away from the guage cluster itself. Once this is done, simply unscrew the 5 centrally located screws on the backside of the cluster, swap the speedo (it simply lifts out) with the one from your donor cluster.

Re-installation is the reverse order. Hope this helps somebody.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts