Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced battery in remote and now its not working on my car.

For say the sorento its a fairly straight forward process
http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/34549-remote-keyless-entry.html

but I can't find ANYTHING on how to do it on the Optima. I already tried using a jumper wire between pin 5 and 6 in the diagnostic, holding lock for 2 seconds (or hitting lock 2 times) with the car to the ON position, etc. I also tried 6 to the positive terminal of the battery without any luck. What seems to work on some of the other KIAs doesnt seem to work here. Is there some program button somewhere in the console that I don't know about :confused:

Any clue on how exactly to reprogram/program the remote to the car again. Much thanks! I have the 2003 Optima EX V6 if it matters :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Honestly I don't know much about key fobs, but try this simple 5 step reprogram
Its a shot in the dark but maybe......​

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I don't know much about key fobs, but try this simple 5 step reprogram
Its a shot in the dark but maybe......​
Is that suppose to be Kia Optima specific? Seems every car has its own way of programming it. Tried your instructions but didn't seem to work unless I am doing it wrong. In the Sedona for example, you open up the diagnostics thing thing and run a wire from a certain hole to another, then turn the key to the on position and hold the buttonfor a few seconds. Some of the other Kias and years have something similar, including I think the Sportage which has some sort of programming button you can hit under the dash.

Trying to find a trick like that for the (03) Optima :lol:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well I have an answer but it's not one you'll want to hear. I searched around at some retailers online and found this site which states the following:

Programming: This remote must be programmed by a dealer or automotive technician using the correct scanning equipment. You can make an appointment for this next time your car is being serviced.
Now I dug through the Shop Guide on KIA Tech Info and it mentions a software package called Hi-Scan Pro, my guess is that you need this package to 'sync' the remote and the Keyless device on the car.

Hopefully in this case someone will come along and prove me wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the dealer manual for the 2002 kia optima which should be the same. There is a section on programming. What it claims, (I havent dont it yet), is that there is a box to the left of the stereo behind the hvac centre bezel attached to the centre facia support bracket (LH). On this box is a switch, and the switch has a "SET" option, which toggles"programming mode" Where you associate the fob with the car.

transmissions frequency: 315mhz
output pattern: door lock, door unlock, trunk lid open

I am having trouble finding replacement fobs is my problem, why i found this post. I would have no problem programming them with the dealer manual i have. I havent asked the dealer how much they are yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ebay has them at $20 and up, call local salvage yards and they will usually have a big box of them for $15. Get the picture and part number for yours from ebay sellers. Now could you provide the exact instructions you mentioned from the Kia shop manual?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok sorry, this forum does not sign you up for email replies by default (sighh)

Like i said in another post, the unit i found from the wrecker does not have a switch on the side. it was from a 2004. I returned the unit, but probably i should have given it power and figured out what the etacs connection was. It was already associated to the fobs i had pulled out from the same car, and looking at the pinout, there are only like 4 pins connected to anything anyways!. Oh well. Maybe ill find one with the swtich on the side one of these days...

attached are the relevant sections of the manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the dealer manual for the 2002 kia optima which should be the same. There is a section on programming. What it claims, (I havent dont it yet), is that there is a box to the left of the stereo behind the hvac centre bezel attached to the centre facia support bracket (LH). On this box is a switch, and the switch has a "SET" option, which toggles"programming mode" Where you associate the fob with the car.

transmissions frequency: 315mhz
output pattern: door lock, door unlock, trunk lid open

I am having trouble finding replacement fobs is my problem, why i found this post. I would have no problem programming them with the dealer manual i have. I havent asked the dealer how much they are yet.

@donenothing

did you ever figure this out? I picked up some fobs from the salvage yard and want to try and program

·
Registered
21 Posts
i did not.
My car does not have the receiver part and i guess i just never bothered. It would be nice i guess to try again. But at the same time I havent had keyless entry in the last 15 years on any car i have had so its not something i am missing too much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i did not.
My car does not have the receiver part and i guess i just never bothered. It would be nice i guess to try again. But at the same time I havent had keyless entry in the last 15 years on any car i have had so its not something i am missing too much.
I have tried with a 2002 optima. According to the VIN it has security , but never had a remote?? I found the unit back under the radio area and it has a switch on the lower side right. I tried to follow the instructions , but without any success. Key on , switch on , remote press and key off, switch on and remote press. Neither did anything. I also got a unit out of the salvage yard (cheap) with the same negative success. I even tried the unit downstream from it swapping out. No access to the computer program to try that route. Dealer wants like a $100 to try it. I have been looking at other solutions for the software out there, but nothing so far. I wonder if there is an incorrect step in the switch method??

·
Registered
2 Posts
does anyone know if the stock wiring for these receivers is present if our Optima's didn't come with the RKE receiver? I bought the factory service manual but I'm having a hard time finding the connectors that plug this unit in. I bought a RKE reciever with the switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts