Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Next question.... I wanted to leave my car in the garage in neutral so I could push it back after I worked on it. But I can't get the key out of the ignition.

How can I have both the key off and out and leave it in neutral? Darn safety interlocks!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
I haven't seen an automatic where you can remove the key unless you are in park mode. One of the reasons why I drive stick.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Figures. I come back to automatics after fifteen years and this is the state of things?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep. I can only imagine its the result of 1 or 2 people getting themselves runover by their car they left in neutral. The keys were in their pockets and the locals couldn't drive the car off of them. :rolleyes:

Its like this: An idiot light to tell you your airbag just deployed.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
your kidding right, :D that's to test your system when you turn on the ignition and will come on if its not working properly, nothing to do with when it deploys, but I'm sure the light will come on then :D

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
OK. Next question.... I wanted to leave my car in the garage in neutral so I could push it back after I worked on it. But I can't get the key out of the ignition.

How can I have both the key off and out and leave it in neutral? Darn safety interlocks!
Can't you just get in it and put it in neutral when you need to? Hardly seems like an issue to me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your kidding right, :D that's to test your system when you turn on the ignition and will come on if its not working properly, nothing to do with when it deploys, but I'm sure the light will come on then :D
I like my explanation better. :)

Can't you just get in it and put it in neutral when you need to?
Yes, but I've got cars scattered all over the garage and its easier just to shove cars around.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
You can always turn it off in Park, and use "shift-lock release" to move it to neutral.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
use "shift-lock release" to move it to neutral.
Ahhhh. Thanks. Wondered what that was for.

However, too much like work. Will if I have to. But am looking for operation like 60s-80 GM floor-shifter automatics. Just squeeze and choose a letter....

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
If you have a pick and a key, it is quick and easy. Pop the cover off with a pick, jam the key down there, and viola - shift it to neutral. I do it every time I'm working on my vehicles.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Yep. I can only imagine its the result of 1 or 2 people getting themselves runover by their car they left in neutral. The keys were in their pockets and the locals couldn't drive the car off of them. :rolleyes:

as conwel said, it's a light which indicates if there is a problem in the system, the same way any of the engine lights, oil, temp etc will come on if a problem is detected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts