Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer says I have to use the severe schedule all year just because we use salt on our roads here in NE Ohio.

But does KIA make that call for the region or is it a dealer-by-dealer call?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I reckon it would be a dealer call. I don't suppose salt is used all year round, and it shouldn't make that much difference to maintenance except for suspension components and underbody.

I'd be doing a service at the start of Winter, and again at the end of Winter, but nothing in between. I use the same logic for our garden equipment; change oil etc. at the start of the summer growing season and again at the end of the season. OK for the rest of the year.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
it'd have to be dealer call..

as Wry said, salted roads shouldn't make much difference to the servicing of the engine. They 'may' change the air filter more often. I'd just focus on hosing down the under-body regularly to prevent rust and so on.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
maybe this TSB for the US might help answer your question
Thanks, I've printed this to keep with my service log in case the dealer ever tries to hassle me. My Rio5 is my commuter car and sees 106 miles per day round trip. No bumper to bumper traffic, mostly highway 65-75 constant speed. I don't see a need for me to be on the severe schedule at all.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Laughable.

Well, went to the dealer and picked up my new Type A (regular) key. No problems.

For fun, stopped by the service manager and he says I am in a severe service area, by the book, due to the salt, but his dealership found it too expensive for people to do the 3750 oil change so they let it slide and require the 7500 mile schedule. But if anyone goes over 7500 my even a mile, they won't honor the warranty.

Here was my look: :mellow:

Am still waiting for any official determination from KIA. Am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
Get clarification from KIA head office for your particular state/city. I would not rely on anything said by dealership regarding warranty. Whoever tells you one thing might be out of job next day, changed dealership, etc. And if you would come to me with warranty claim and story that 'service manager' told you you can follow 'normal' schedule I would laugh and said, no buddy, we are in 'severe' schedule area. Dealerships are franchises - independent outlets with primary goal to Make money.
If you live in area where temps are +20C (+/-5C), where there is no sand, dust, pollutants, snow, rain, you name it you can follow 'normal' schedule; everything else is 'severe'.

Bottom line is get from KIA (not dealership) in writing schedule for you area and ask them to tell you state/city where 'normal' schedule applies so you can compare/argue.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not much better. Well actually, no better.

Well, KIA USA returned my email inquiry with a call yesterday.

They say the determination on which schedule to use is left to dealer discretion. Although my area falls under "salt use on roadway" and is therefore requires a 'severe schedule' by the book, she says most cars fall under 'normal schedule'.

She then asked if I drive less than 2 miles each time I turn it on, and then stop-and-go conditions. Since I was 'no' to both, she said I would probably be Ok with the normal service schedule. But there was nothing on paper to back that up.

Well, since the global manufacturer has nothing except the same owner's manual we all use, I have to default to using the OEM severe schedule for me. At least while in warranty.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
i was doing the oil changes every 3500~3750, but recently started doing them every 4k. nice round number, easy to remember. for me, it is every month and a half or so.

personally, i think 7500 is too much, as the rio only has 3.5 quarts and when i do the changes are 4k, it comes out black. trying to stretch non synthetic oil farther is asking for failure imho.

i pay $14 for an oil change, so it is pointless to stretch it out further.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts
Gotta hand it to Kia for writing that TSB. My dealer wanted me in every 3000 miles for an oil change. I laughed and said I actually read the manual. Its amazing how much money people waste on unnecessary maintenance. I think this is where dealers make most of their money. The other dealer near me has a maintenance program every 3750 miles. It costs $150 for oil, tire rotation, cabin filter, and to "inspect" the rest of the vehicle.....rip-off. I pay $35 for oil, tires and replace filters myself. I go every 7500 miles. I drive all highway.
Btw...dealer wanted $70 for cabin filter and install...lol. paid $15 from the internet

·
Registered
6 Posts
After you buy the car, the only way the dealer can make more money is through maintenance.
My guy emailed me telling me I was under severe, here in nashville TN, where we have beautiful mild weather year round mostly.
I took the car there, expecting the worst, and the service guys were great, they gave me normal maintenance. They make the same amount of $ no matter how they do ya, so they did the right thing.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
Don't understand why its so difficult to know whether to go severe or normal for service. Just read the severe requirements, if you fit that criteria then follow it, if not then follow the normal service, its only for your own benefit. Everything is on a case by case situation due to your own personal driving.
In my case I come under severe in the winter months, but normal the rest of the year, so I just go in every 6 months for service. My dealer has no problem with this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts