Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to locate and tap into the wire that turns on the back up light. I see from looking at the back of the backup light socket in the hatch door, that the wire color is solid orange. Before I start randomly cutting open wiring harnesses under the back bumper, has anyone done this and can point me to where and how they found this wire?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Driver's side rear underneath the car...there is a removable panel. That's where you remove a dummy plug and plug in a trailer hitch adapter. Since tail lights and brake lights are available there, might find back up light wiring in there as well. But it may be low power (signal) levels at that point, not enough to drive any other load. Trailer adapter that plugs in there gives isolation from the stock circuitry.

Your orange wire might be making only a short run to a power and signal box since much of the lights long run wiring these days is low level signal or odbc network data.

·
Registered
768 Posts
WAIT!
If you are trying to hook up the rear cam of a dash cam, it is simple.
The back up lights are under a pull off panel in the hatch.
Just use a tap to access the wire, close the cover and you are done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying to add back up LED LIGHTS to the camping trailer I just got. The 7 way plug has a pin for such a wire, but alas, most all the videos on connecting trailer lights are for 4 wire connections just for the Brakes/ blinkers, and tail (running) lights. When I do find instructions for a 7 way connector, they always tie off the wire for back up lights because 'we are not using it in this installation'... argh.

Under the car, removing the plastic panel at the rear driver's side, I see where the OEM four wire harness is already connected. Of course 'that one' does not include a wire for back up light as that is not included in a 4 wire plug. I did notice that the wire gauge was surprisingly small in most of these wires in this area. That must be the low power 'signal' that you speak of. There was a skinny orange wire, but when I pocked into it with a needle to test for signal, it had power when gear shift was in any position, not just reverse (I taped the tiny hole).

At the actual reverse light in the hatch, it has an almost regular gauge wire, I'm guessing 18 awg. Pulling the top trim cover from the hatch, I was surprised to only see very small awg wires (maybe 22 or less?) and only noticed one heavier awg wire (16? 14?). Is there some kind of controller board in the hatch or somewhere that senses some form of different 'signal' from each of the tiny wires, then draws 12v operating current from one or more heavy awg 12v full current wires to power the specific light, etc? I am not an Electr. Eng. and have not ran across this before.

I removed the back up light from the socket and tested the 12c signal from it's orange wire. It does in fact 'only' get 12v power when the shifter is in reverse. If in fact the only full 12v reverse circuit power is available literally at the socket, should I be OK tapping that wire and physically running it along the existing harness from the bulb, up through the hatch's rubber connector to the body, then down the side under trim to exit under the car?

Since I would be adding (2) LED back up lights on the trailer with +/- 20' of say 18 awg wire, what amp draw should I limit these 2 combined LED lights to? I see 18W, 24W, 36W, & 48W LED's. Amp draw for a pair of these combined would be 3, 4, 6 & 8 Amps respectively. From these choices, should I limit the amp level I choose to add to the existing back up light circuit?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I tapped that wire to put the dash cam into reverse mode when backing up. Over a year now, no issues. I just use one of those crimp on taps. You could possibly use a continuity tester to find that wire someplace else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also installed LED backup bulbs, they do draw less current than regular bulbs, if that is a concern.
Are the LED back up (just bulbs right) bulbs noticeably brighter for their purpose? Do you recall the type or specs you used? If you find a link in your Amazon or Ebay order history... very cool. ;o)
That sounds like a good mod. Any other bulbs you changed to LED? It seems like interior overheads are already super bright , so I assumed are already LED. Maybe misc. glove box or any lower cabin lights??

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yes, they are quite a bit brighter. I ordered several different ones, and I don't recall which ones I actually settled on.
I also changed the interior lights, they were a dull yellow. There is a thread on here about the ones I used.
Did not change the glove box light, did the two overhead the front, the rear seat, and the hatch light.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I don't recall which ones I actually used, but this will give you the size:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts