Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm a happy owner of a 2008 Kia Rondo, looking to expand the stable with an Optima SX.

I'll be meeting a private seller tomorrow to look at his 2011 Optima SX with the Technology and Premium Touring Packages.

Are there any problem areas I should be aware of to really focus on when looking over the car? Perhaps something to look for when I open the hood or put my head underneath the engine to look around? Any parts inside the cabin I should really check for, or things that might be likely to malfunction?

I have been browsing the forum and reading through some information, but was wondering if there are well-known issues to watch out for in a 2011 SX.

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Drive it and check for a pull left condition at any speed. First check all tire pressures and confirm they're 33psi all around. Drive on all road crowns-it should only drift to the sloped side, equally, and run true when no crown.
Everything else, take to a KIA dealer and ask for the 27 point safety check. Spend a little if the car is appealing to you.
Edit:
Also have them do a diagnostic scan to see if it's had updates or CEL's.
FYI; there will be a recall in May I'm told for a brake light switch replacement.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good, thanks for the tips on the pulling left and checking tire pressure before the test drive.

I guess it would be fine to pay equivalent to blue book value without trying to bargain very aggressively, if nothing sticks out at me as these cars seem to have been rather immune to the kind of depreciation I took advantage of years ago when buying my Rondo.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
Please note there is a TSB for the left pull, so unless it's crash damage it's known by KIA and there is a fix.

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
Tires on the SX can greatly affect the road noise and ride. The original Nexens got nearly universal negative comments from all the reviews. They were good for low rolling resistance, but that was about it.

I recently put 245/45-18 (stock size is 225/45-18) Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires on my SX, and the noise and ride are dramatically better than the Kumhos before them, which were better than the Nexens.

That stock size didn't do much to protect the flush-face wheels that come with the SX, so the bigger tires help lots with that, fit fine, look better, and the speedometer is now just about perfect for accuracy.

The only problem I've had was with the Electronic Waste Gate Actuator voltage, but that was fully repaired under warranty 10k miles ago, and everything's been fine since (26K now). It never stranded me, and there's lots of information on the subject over in the other Optima forum.

Remember that the 10-year/100,000 mile drivetrain warranty is NOT transferable to a second owner, unless it is sold (by a dealer) as CPO. I believe the warranty reverts to 6yr/60k miles.

The 2011 SX front seats were not particularly comfortable, and the 2012 (in the US) update substantially changed that. I've upgraded the front cushions, seat covers and heaters to get that update. It wasn't cheap, but was worthwhile since I intend to keep this car a long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts