Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX (auto)
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From all the rios i see out of the states ive come to love the white signal lights is there any way to cover up or change that orange to the white or maybe paint it somehow a different color i hate the contrast it brings to the car

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
AGreed. I would also love to get the orange out of my headlights during. The appearance of them vs the white is so much worse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I figured someone would have a vinyl cutout for this by now? If not that is where I think the easiest most cost effective "mask" of the reflector would be. I don't mind it, but I am also not crazy about it either.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
The amber reflector is required by law in Canada... cant talk for the US. All vehicles have it. I wouldn't cover it up unless its amber reflective tape you are using....... if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
If I remember correctly at least in Canada when I had some moisture in my headlights the dealer said they werent encased units and were sealed by foam.

I'm not sure if you need to bake them to open them up

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Nice looking fb page you have going there and a great picture portfolio of the process!

Unfortunately even though I like the white look its illegal to change it in Canada :/

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Does any Canadian actually know for a fact that we can't cover them with a white/see through vinyl where the orange light can shine through?
I figured we would just have to have amber lights blinking when we turn. I'm sure there is a foggy white vinyl product that will let the amber lights shine through when they blink ? So that when not blinking they appear white but when you turn the amber light shines through.
I very much doubt you are required to have the amber lens showing all day. Since they aren't even lit up until you turn.
Just hoping another Canadian Actually knows if we can or not!

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
if you really want to change it and don't care about possible defect notices or whatever you guys get over there for having incorrect spec on your car, just get some from ebay or order from kia australia or other countries that have the white.

whether you'll have to do any re-wiring or not, unsure.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
yeah i don't want whole new headlights. Just want to find out if i'm allowed to buy a white (light permeable) vinyl and I'll pay a specialty shop to open up my headlight and put it on.
Have to wait and see if any other canadians do the research and find out if it's allowed as long as the amber shines through when blinking.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts
I have seen many people around where I live with smoked out headlights with no issues.....it covers the orange but you can still see the light coming through. I would think it would be ok as long as the light can be safely seen...I wouldn't want to make it so dark that it cannot be seen, that is pretty unsafe

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have to apologize for my ignorance here.... i we talking about your turn signal, or the reflector at the top of your headlight... the top reflector part doesnt have a bulb in it.

BTW, what ocd posted is pretty nice.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
We are talking about the "reflector" which actually has a bulb in there. In US however, it is not used as a turn signal and I have no idea why. It doesn't really make sense to me.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio SX Hatchback 6 speed Manual
43 Posts
i tried using vht night shades spray but it stood out to much i hate the orange i wish they had pre cut vinyl overlays for it my hyundai tiburon we used the overlays looked much better

·
Registered
116 Posts
My mistake... i took a look and yes i see the bulb.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts