Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi I have a 2008 kia sorento automatic..i would like to check the transmission/gearbox oil/fluid level... i kept the van idling check the dipstick.... only got oil on the tip... switch vehicle off.. checked again and it showed the gearbox dip stick is full.... I'm now so confused

MOD Edit of title and content to reduce the confusion.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,769 Posts
Hi I have a 2008 kia sorento automatic..i would like to check the oil level... i kept the van idling check the dipstick.... only got oil on the tip... switch vehicle off.. checked again and it showed the gearbox dip stick is full.... I'm now so confused
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,365 Posts
Honest question.
Have ever checked any fluids on a car before?
You check it while running.
There are usually 2 dimples or lines on the stick to fill to.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
511 Posts
Engine oil level has to be checked with engine off and ideally 10 minutes or more after it was shut off.
Porshe 911 for example would not even show oil level for 30 minutes after oil change, it has no dipstick but electronic meter showing level in dash instrument cluster.
Automatic transmission fluid is on the other hand checked with car running at idle on cars with ATF dipstick.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,365 Posts
Engine oil level has to be checked with engine off and ideally 10 minutes or more after it was shut off.
Porshe 911 for example would not even show oil level for 30 minutes after oil change, it has no dipstick but electronic meter showing level in dash instrument cluster.
Automatic transmission fluid is on the other hand checked with car running at idle on cars with ATF dipstick.
Well since his original question was about trans fluid that is what I addressed.
I would hope that people know to check the engine oil when the engine is off and has set for a while.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
718 Posts
As others above said, it needs to be checked with engine idling. (This is also true for sealed transmissions incidentally.)

It will read higher if the engine is off (which is perfectly normal since more oil will drain into the pan).

Some dipstick have two lines - one for "cold" fluid (bottom line) and one for "hot" fluid (top line).

Therefore, based on your post, you probably need to add some fluid.

Richard

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
465 Posts
There are 2 ways to do this for the engine oil. The first is to simply check the level on the car after it has sat on level ground for a few hours and has cooled down. At that time, the level should be right at the Full mark on the dipstick. The other way is to warm up the engine, stop it, let it rest for a few minutes, then check the level. It should be about halfway between the Low and Full marks. The second method is the one that Kia's manuals usually suggest, but either way is fine.

For the transmission fluid, you need to go for a 10-minute drive, return to the spot where you want to check the fluid level, then shift through all the gears (R, N, D) back and forth a few times. At this time, the level on the dipstick should be in the HOT range. Then much later after it has cooled down, top it off so it reaches the COLD line. Then re-check the HOT level again. This is all described in your owner's manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts