Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91eagletsi-06optima
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Start the vehicle, center the steering wheel and secure the wheel.​
Now look down the inside of the front tire edges as you would a gunsite, you should see some of the back tire which would mean you have toe in. If can't see any of the back the tire the wheel is toed far out.​
Check both so you have a good idea which is the problem wheel before your measurements. Now take a tape a measure from one wheel to the other using the tread as your mark, do this from the front and back of the tire making sure you use the same tread mark from side to side do this for front and back.​
Ok front wheel drive cars should be toed out /16, due to the power wanting to suck the tires inward. Rear wheel drive toed in a /16 because the power wants to push the tires outward.
So say your front measurement is 42 13/16ths and your rear is 42 3/4 the front tires are toed out a 16th which is optimal for a front wheel drive. This applies if linkage and chassis parts are in working order. Your measurments will differ and adjustments can be made via tierod (with front tires off the ground) Sorry forgot to mention, lower vehicle before measurments are made.​
Toe is one aspect of an alignment which can be checked at home, a sawtooth wear pattern would indicate a toe problem, as a beveled wear points to camber problems​

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Ok front wheel drive cars should be toed out 1/16, due to the power wanting to suck the tires inward. Rear wheel drive toed in a 1/16 because the power wants to push the tires outward
-And you reckon that you can measure that with a tape? For one thing, parts of the car will get in the way if you try to measure toe directly. Your reasoning on +/- toe is also faulty; usually depends on the camber more than whether front/rear drive.

·
Registered
91eagletsi-06optima
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well unless your super fat, yes sir I reckon alot of people could make these measurements. The measurements are made off the tire groves if one cant bend down that far the dealer is right down the road, rack would be nice but you dont have to be directly under the vehicle​
I agree camber also plays a part, more so for the rear wheels. If you would please indulge us on your camber theory​
Sorry for bad wording a /16 toe would not be in range for a heavy truck but most smaller vehicles /16 - 1/4 toed in or out depending on drive. Camber is only responsible for 10% of tire wear, I work alongside a master tech that agrees with that. I let the machine check camber and caster, if your handy with tools and a torch this simple check will extend tire life and help one understand the fundamentals​

1 - 3 of 3 Posts