Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 sephia, 1.8, 5spd. From the owner's manual seems like to check the manual tranny oil I have to pull the speedo cable with the head out and it is somewhere under the throttle body. What I have found has a plastic base and just electric wires coming out of it. No cables, but then I guess it will make sense that the car has electric speedo. Is this the right thing. How do I take it out, I tried simple pulling but it didn't budge. I wanted to stick a flat screwdriver under it and twist to loosen it but was afraid to break something. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From What I Remember All Manual Trannys Are Sealed Units So No Need To Check. But As Much That Is Involed With That I Would Take It To A Shop. Or Dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On my 98 you can check the fluid by pulling the ait intake and then if you look strait down there is a bolt head on the front of the tranny. If you undo the bolt and stick your finger in you should be able to feel fluid, if not add some up to the hole. If fluid runs out it is over filled and needs to be drained down to the hole. I change mine every 30,000 miles or so. I think there was a model change between 97 and 98 so yours may be diffferent. But on a manual transmission there is usually a drain hole at the bottom of the tranny and a check hole about halfway up the tranny. I will guess it is a bolt and not a plug but i could be wrong. I would give the tranny a good onece over just take a good look at it for a bolt on the bottom like you might find on your oil pan to drain your oil and one closer to the top. Hope this helps

matt

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. The bolt is pretty standard on all manuals, but mine seems to be different ('97). I found the speedo wire and can unhook it. There is a piece under it that seems to require a wrench to take off, it goes in the tranny vertically and from what the owner manual says it has a low and a full mark on it and it is also the gear for the speedo. I couldn't stick my wrench down there from above. Some other day I will try with a different wrench, space is tight and I don't have a lift. I am not really interested in chaging the fluid, just want to check the condition and the level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
on my 95 sephia i had to disconnent the electrical connection from the speedo cable and then twist the plastic piece of the top of the speedo cable piece. be careful not tolose a little pin in the top of what is still in the transmission. then take out the 10mm bolt that is on a metal tab to the side of the cable piece then just pull up on the plastic piece and it will come out. check the o-ring on it before reinstalling. you ARE supposed to check the tranny fluid every 3000 miles. it takes 75w90
GL4 oil. castrol is good can mix with conventional and synthetic oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts