Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been reading here for a while and finally decided to join the forum as I have decided my next vehicle purchase will be a Kia Sportage SX AWD in Black Cherry or possibly a Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD. Currently driving a 2008 Lexus IS350 blk/blk and will be trading it in for Sportage/Sorento eventually for more economy, utility and versatility. At the moment, I am leaning heavily towards the Sportage as I live a densely populated area.

I have been trying to find any color SX awd here in the SF Bay Area just to test drive but it appears this model is pretty much non existent on dealer lots here. I have read that they are rare over here on the west coast and that inventory is sparse, so I wanted to know what the best way is for me to go about test driving this model and eventally purchasing it without having to travel too far? Any help, tips and advice would be much appreciated and I look forward to owning a Sportage eventually. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,952 Posts
Kia doesn't send AWD to CA for FWD to WA.

I special ordered a FWD and waited 5 months for nothing. KIA Corp. is clueless in their help.

I had one brought up from San Diego.

You and I are somewhat limited because of the stupid Liberal CA emissions that WA, OR and a few others have adopted.

In general, inventory is sparse. They are selling everything they make as fast as they make them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So does that mean I need go to a dealer and special order the exact model I want in order to get a Sportage SX AWD? Or would it be possible for me to find a local dealer that could try to hunt one down for me from another dealer that maybe be further away?

In either scenario, should I expect to pay a premium for the Sportage SX AWD due to the lack of access to this model and if how much of a premium should I be prepared to pay on top of invoice less any holdback?

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
So does that mean I need go to a dealer and special order the exact model I want in order to get a Sportage SX AWD? Or would it be possible for me to find a local dealer that could try to hunt one down for me from another dealer that maybe be further away?

In either scenario, should I expect to pay a premium for the Sportage SX AWD due to the lack of access to this model and if how much of a premium should I be prepared to pay on top of invoice less any holdback?
Worthless to screw around with KIA ordering.

You can have the dealer try to find one or do it yourself like I did.

Got it for $400 less than if I had purchased locally but cost $800 to transport up here. Did all the search and purchase via internet except sending the check.

Should be easy to check dealers in WA and OR.

The 2 dealers in Boise ID get some CA emission vehicles and are the cheapest around.

Worth a one way plane ticket to pick up and drive home.

Be sure of the emissions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how would they know if the car has CA emissions on it?

What about people who move to CA from other states? They have to scrap their cars?

Man that sucks. I didn't know Cali's hippie rules made it up into OR and WA. :(

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how would they know if the car has CA emissions on it?

What about people who move to CA from other states? They have to scrap their cars?

Man that sucks. I didn't know Cali's hippie rules made it up into OR and WA. :(
Liberal Bastions: Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.

New Mexico might be on the list now and Arizona passed the law but the new Conservative govt. was holding up enactment.

The same vehicle is $400-600 less in a non-CA emission state.

CA DMV
Check the Label
"To find out whether a car or truck is California Certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the headset or frame. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California."
Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

CA DMV
How To Register A Nonresident Vehicle
NOTE: California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle (one with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase) unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49 state vehicle (vehicle manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country and do not qualify for one of the exemptions, you cannot register your vehicle and must immediately remove it from this state."
How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)

Answer: rid your local, state and fed govts. of Liberals.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got 2006 Kia Sportage at this auto auction taking place in California but the car had a salvage title as I didn't have enough money to buy a clean titled one, so I also had to do some repairings and change the title.

·
Registered
2011 SportageR SX AWD
78 Posts
I think all new Sportages sold in the USA are 50 state cars but I am not sure about that.

When I was looking for our new SX AWD I used Auto Trader, CARS.COM and AOL. I used 500 miles as the maximum and got a list of all available in California. I found what I wanted at a dealer in the SF Bay Area and purchased it. Shortly after I bought ours, all of the SX AWD were sold out in Calif. This was in Sept. 2011. The dealers didn't get anymore in until March of this year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies so far. I have been continuing my research since i started this thread and still have found it hard to find a new or used Sportage SX AWD in the SF Bay Area. The only sites that were able to locate some inventory were KIA.com and TrueCar.com. And even then the inventory is sparse.

Anyhow, I have decided on picking up a 2013/14 Sportage SX AWD in Mineral Silver, Bright Silver, or Black Cherry if I can ever find one. I'm waiting to see what updates if any there will be with the 2014 models vs 2013, which I'm guessing should be mostly minor and cosmetic. If everything goes as planned,I am hoping I will be able get into an SX AWD before the end of 2013 as I could definitely use the additional utility the sportage would provide me over my current vehicle, a 2008 Lexus IS350. I've also been trying to get an idea of what I should be paying for the model I want. It looks like a fully loaded Sportage SX AWD equipped the way I want will run me approximately $30,000~$32,000. Does that sound about right to those of you who purchased a new SX AWD?

Also would like to ask if there is anything I should be aware before I purchase this vehicle or anything I should negotiate for with the selling dealer when purchasing the vehicle?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
484 Posts
a 2014 probably won't have a ton of wiggle room in terms of pricing. Now a 2013 model once the 14's come out will definitely have more flexibility.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Take a look at the Ford Escape 'Eco-Boost' 2.0L or 1.6L Turbo AWD. I like my Sportage FWD and am planning to buy an SX AWD in 2016, but the other makers are charging hard with new models, upgrades, etc. Besides, the Sportage may be completely different then. It's a question of 'wait and see'.

'rid your local, state and fed govts. of Liberals.....'

Will miracles never cease? I agree with ngerald on something!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
484 Posts
I know here in Canada, Ford rips you off on the Finance Rates. 3.99% when you can get a 2013 Sportage for way less. In the US, If you build the SE model with the 2.0 AWD Ecoboost engine adding the sunroof as an option the price of the car is over $30,000 US. I think the AWD SX goes for less down there doesn't it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
TrueCar prices the Sportage SX AWD I want with the the navigation and all the trays and cargo covers and mats for about $30,000~$31,000 USD. It says 3 dealers within 40 miles of me can get me what I want for under $31,500. Now this is assuming the dealers actually have them in stock or are willing to find me one. I am considering using this service to lock in the price when I am ready to buy. From what I've read though, many people have had poor experiences using this service so I might have to do it the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Btw, can anyone tell me what the invoice price on a loaded Sportage SX AWD should roughly be in California? This would help me to get an idea of where to start negotiations as well as how much wiggle room I will have budget wise. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts