Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2005 Kia Magentis (Canadian model). It has the stock sound system, in dash CD player and no changer installed. I am not able to change the stock system (I purchased the car with my parents and that is what they said). It has to look stock and still use the factory stereo. With the condition is there anything I can do? I already have a cigarette lighter powered FM transmitter which isn't that bad, but it is not really what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
for you, the best you could get is a HARDWIRED FM Modulator. Its a lot better than wireless. I have a hardwired one with the belkin auto kit. sounds great...for what it is. You get the best, clearest sound FM can be.. not CD quality, but it Will lbe the best you get without changing the head unit, unless if you can support Aux in. Which i don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. That is what I have been thinking, does anyone know which ones are the best?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
the one on crutchfield seems to be highly rated and comes with everything u need. even rca-mini jack wire. and for $30 u cant beat that. you can always buy a nicer switch from radio shack tho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Hey, Ipes, this is what I did for my Sorento. iPod install

I don't know if you've got a cigarette lighter to spare in your Magentis, but if you don't, you can always dedicate the main one. Otherwise, I saw in another how-to (www.ilounge.com, check out their in-car installations section, lots of ideas there), how you can wire your own power source behind the dash, so you don't tie up your cigarette lighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I am still trying to figure out how and where to mount my Escort 8500 radar detector. After that comes the ipod install and then possibly getting rid of the old school rearview mirror and installing either the kia homelink autodimming mirror if I can or a bluetooth enabled mirror. Anyone done that?
 

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by monster@Dec 8 2005, 12:18 AM
Hey, Ipes, this is what I did for my Sorento. iPod install

I don't know if you've got a cigarette lighter to spare in your Magentis, but if you don't, you can always dedicate the main one. Otherwise, I saw in another how-to (www.ilounge.com, check out their in-car installations section, lots of ideas there), how you can wire your own power source behind the dash, so you don't tie up your cigarette lighter.
But wait.. isn't your deck.. AFTERMARKET??? That's not what he was asking.. don't get me wrong.. it's great info.. but again.. he needs to keep his stereo stock. and NO the Optima/Magentis does NOT have an AUX input on it. Which sucks! but oh well.. I DO want to get an aftermarket deck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Originally posted by ahfrederick@Dec 10 2005, 02:42 AM
But wait.. isn't your deck.. AFTERMARKET??? That's not what he was asking.. don't get me wrong.. it's great info.. but again.. he needs to keep his stereo stock. and NO the Optima/Magentis does NOT have an AUX input on it. Which sucks! but oh well.. I DO want to get an aftermarket deck.
Nope, that's the deck that came with my Sorento, a Jensen 7260 or 7620 or something like that. It already had an AUX input, so the wiring was easy. :)

If the Optima/Magentis does not have an AUX input, then NYRngrs has it right, get the hardwired FM modulator. The iTrip is so-so, you get so much better quality if you use a wired solution.

If the stock h/u has a casette deck, you could also consider a casette adapter -- that's also a wired solution. There's the very basic kind, the kind that you can get at most stereo accessory stores, and there's also the smart kind that allows your casette deck controls to control your iPod. Can't remember what it's called though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. My deck is a CD player so I guess I will be going with the hardwired FM modulator. At least it looks fairly easy (relatively) to get at the radio and power connections. Where is a good place to find them? I am not having much luck here and Crutchfield does not ship to canada.
 

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by monster@Dec 11 2005, 12:42 PM
Nope, that's the deck that came with my Sorento, a Jensen 7260 or 7620 or something like that. It already had an AUX input, so the wiring was easy. :)

If the Optima/Magentis does not have an AUX input, then NYRngrs has it right, get the hardwired FM modulator. The iTrip is so-so, you get so much better quality if you use a wired solution.

If the stock h/u has a casette deck, you could also consider a casette adapter -- that's also a wired solution. There's the very basic kind, the kind that you can get at most stereo accessory stores, and there's also the smart kind that allows your casette deck controls to control your iPod. Can't remember what it's called though.
aww man.. lucky! Blah! BLAH I say! :grin:
 

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by Ipes@Dec 12 2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks for all the info. My deck is a CD player so I guess I will be going with the hardwired FM modulator. At least it looks fairly easy (relatively) to get at the radio and power connections. Where is a good place to find them? I am not having much luck here and Crutchfield does not ship to canada.
kool.. keep us informed on the outcome! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
OR you can use one of these.

http://www.car5d5.com/caraudio/product_inf..._149_26&pId=683

It connects to the 8-pin connector on the back of the head unit for the cd changer. An it will work with any aux device.

Only problem is this is the only one i've found so far and the site is entirely in korean.
(Made sense at the time:you wanna find accesories to fit a korean vehicle, where would you look?)

Any translators in the house?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Originally posted by ahfrederick@Dec 14 2005, 10:24 PM
aww man.. lucky! Blah! BLAH I say! :grin:
Haha, yeah -- it's pretty cool. The trade-off is that the h/u has pretty BLAH visualizations. No funky graphics, and even the standard VU meter isn't smoothly animated.

:) But I'm not really complaining. As longs as I gets my musics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
i have the same problem. my dad is giving me his '01 sephia. he doesn't want me to change anything. but i'm sure if i could just plug something into the cd changer plug thing and get it to an aux input that would be fine. i want to hook up my ipod and the fm transmitter i have isn't too great

anyone know how you would plug in a cd changer? what type of connection does it have? i don't know too much about cables and stuff so forgive my lack of technical language. but is it a square plug or a circle plug?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top