Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX AWD GDI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 sorento that will need 15k service soon. We're going to be out of town so I'll probably be a couple hundred over 15k before I can get to dealership. Would this void warranty or is there some wiggle room built in for them to honor warranty.

Also, what's an average cost for this service? They told me $180-$200.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Dealers don't seem concerned about a few extra miles on the service interval, but I've never really tested them. They seem more keen on getting you back regularly (every 6 months). A silly young girl (Not KIA) once informed me that I was "a month overdue for service" when it was more like a few days and just into the next calendar month.

15k is probably just an oil+filter service plus a quick check. $180 seems a lot for that, but you'll find it hard to do better. Probably a good idea to get dealer service for the first couple of times. I save by going to a reliable local mechanic and using genuine KIA parts.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra,2008 Impala LT
98 Posts
Have my oil changes done at dealership where I purchased the Sorento new,about $20.They also have a check list of items they inspect at that time and record it with a copy for me,no charge.Even replenish the washer fluid,no charge.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
15k should include oil change, rotation, and possibly cabin and engine air filters. So, it could be close to the $150 + mark.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
David, pull out your owner's manual and see for yourself what is required at 15k. You can get only the necessary work done at a dealership or any auto repair shop including an Iffy Lube. Do not pay for work that isn't needed. Often the stealerships pack extra work into the service that is only good for improving their profit margin.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Yeah, it's an "Iffy" Lube alright. I wouldn't trust those clowns. I went to a quick lube place ONCE with my Sedona - I was too short on time to do it myself, so I even brought my own filter since I already had it. Guy told me, "Umm...your car doesn't have an oil filter." Truth is, he never looked on top of the engine for it. I would have left right then and there if they hadn't already drained the oil. Pretty sad I had to get out of my vehicle to show him where the oil filter goes. I normally do it myself with an OEM filter and Mobil 1. If I hadn't brought my own filter, they probably wouldn't have said or done anything regarding the filter. Since the V6 Sorento has the same set-up, I would be wary of it.
-
Anyway, yes, you can go anywhere for service as long as you trust them and save your receipts.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
2012 sorento that will need 15k service soon. what's an average cost for this service? They told me $180-$200.
I checked the owner's manual on my '13. It requires an oil & filter change, tire rotation, and if fitted, a cabin air filter change.

1--learn how to change your own cabin air filter (if fitted).
http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/68041-cabin-air-filter-so-easy.html
Save the receipt from the one you buy at any auto parts store.

2--Call around for a tire shop that offers free or very low cost tire rotation. You tell them what rotation pattern you prefer. I prefer the Forward Cross.
Tire Tech Information - Tire Rotation Instructions
Save the receipt.

3--Have any trusted auto service shop change your oil & filter and check the level of the rear differential oil. Save the receipt.

The only other thing on the 15k service is the usual 897 point inspection. Don't worry about it. Take a close look for any fluids leaking, anything that looks out of place, any strange sounds when the engine is running and you're safely peering under the hood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts