Kia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my very first hand wash on the Sorento today...big truck..took quiet a while. I usually take it to car wash, but since today was a great day, I gave it a go. Applied some wax on it too...looks pretty good.

Topic of conversation is..how often do you guys wax your Sorento? What brand?
I used McGuiar's... really good stuff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I guess it depends on the climate conditions and the type of use your car gets.

I tend to give mine a wax (with Mer which you can also use as a wash'n'wax) every 6 weeks or so. Mer gets road film off and is very tolerant of being use in the sun so it isn't tiring to use.

Have to keep on top of the alloys though more frequently.

·
Registered
car
4,204 Posts
I use Mothers California Gold wax/cleaner. I wax my Sorento usually 3 times a year. Spring, mid summer and late fall. This past winter I was able to do it in the middle of the winter outside becasue it was so warm but that usually doesnt happen. I wax it so often because it sits outside all of the time.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
536 Posts
quote from, wolfe1984
"My Sorento hasn't been waxed since the dealer did it. I really haven't had the time but I'd like to be able to do it soon. I dunno though I'm kinda short, I might have to get someone else to do it biggrin" LOL. LOL

i washed mine about 4 time so far, wax... i was thinking about it. LOL

it will be much easer to do than the large amount of sheet metal on the "astro" to do, that gets done twice a year. so i guess the sorento will get the same if i have it that long

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi you guys here in the uk where we can have rain hale snow sun gales in one day lol i wax my sorento every three to four weeks, i use McGuiar's polish bought it when i got the car realy brings out the shine and when i haven't the time to wax i use McGuiar's quick detailer mist and wipe this stuff is good great for removing bird s**t it's also great between waxes as it's so easy to just spray and wipe off gleaming car once again regards to you all phil :57:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by wolfej1984@May 27 2005, 08:36 AM
My Sorento hasn't been waxed since the dealer did it. I really haven't had the time but I'd like to be able to do it soon. I dunno though I'm kinda short, I might have to get someone else to do it :D

I guess I could relate to this problem. I am 5'9 and still had problems reaching the roof area. I had to use our plastic recycling blue boxes to stand on. It looked funny from the neighbours view, but it did the job for me. I did not want to use a ladder as I may scratch the paint....hey, accidents could happen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dont be slack - regular waxing really helps!

The tracks that I drive have a lot of bushes which like to caress the sides of my Sorento. I have found that if I wax my car before heading offroad the brush marks from the bushes come off really easily (shame I didnt realise that with my old car)

go surfing
Beachboy

·
Banned
416 Posts
I might give some hint that makes washing a lot easier get a good long handle with a swiveling wide soft brush. Like they use in window washing. It really make for standing in one spot and being able to cover a lot of the Sorento. I have polished my Sorento once with Mothers Gold that was about two years ago. It still is holding up well. Will soon polish it again.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I personally clay-bar and wax about once every 3 months. Wax breaks down with heat, so if you wash when it's hot (the sun is on it) then you are washing wax off. I wash when it's cool out. I haven't found a wax that lasts a long time. After a month after waxing with McGuiars Gold Class, I can tell that the wax is disappearing. It may still be "waxed", but I can tell that the shine is going away. I just tried this new stuff that's guaranteed to last 6 months; we'll see about that. The McGuiars and this new stuff really make it shine and really bring out the color when it's fresh though. I don't mind a little extra work as long as it looks nice.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
44 Posts
I have done it once so far

I use Mer too! I've used it on my bikes for years and seems OK

jet washed it yesterday and it came up OK ( didn't dry it,...just drove it) got drying amrks on it but its cleaner than it was!!

I like to drive em, not clean em.....2 hrs it took me 2 HOURS, I'd rather do something else I'm afraid..

Motorbikes , now THEY have to be clean!!! :p :p :p

·
Registered
2005 Sorrento
10 Posts
I waxed mine 2 days after I bought it. I do it about every three months with Maguires NXT.. great stuff.. on washes inbetween I use eagle one as I dry the car shines and looks like you can stick your hand in the paint..Have used other Maguires products before but the NXT is amazing..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by wolfej1984@May 27 2005, 01:36 PM
My Sorento hasn't been waxed since the dealer did it. I really haven't had the time but I'd like to be able to do it soon.

I haven't waxed a car for years and years. I won't be a slave to a car. Just put it through the car wash once in a while. When I sell they are still as good as new after about 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having my Sorento since May of this year I’ve waxed it twice so far. I find that keeping my vehicle clean and properly maintained makes me appreciate my vehicle a lot more than I would if it looked like crap all the time.

Dave
:gunsmilie:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.