Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you DIY oil change people.

How much oil does your 2011/2012 Sedona really hold? The manual says 5.8 quarts. When I got the vehicle it was overfull, so I guessed the dealer had simply dumped in 6 quarts for simplicity. Judging by the varnish marks on the dipstick it appeared the vehicle had been run this way for some time if not since new. I guesstimated it was about 1/4 quart overfull. No biggie.

So I siphoned the oil down to the proper "full" mark on the dipstick. To my surprise I think it took more like half a quart to get it down to "F".

So now I wonder, how much oil are you finding it really takes to get your Sedona 3.5 to the "F" mark on a oil/filter change. Right now I'm guessing about 5.5 quarts is going to be really close.

Just curious, got my first oil change coming fairly soon.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like I put in just a hair over 5 quarts, but I have not measured it exactly.
Thank you. Some more digging with Google pretty much gets similar estimates. I guess I'll put in 5 when I change it, then start it and see where it's at.

Some Hyundai/KIA owners mentioned a dry capacity and a "drain and fill" capacity mentioned in their manuals. Mine just says 5.8 quarts to drain and fill. I'm thinking that will be too much.

My Jeep doesn't hold what it's supposed to either so, not uncommon.

When I know for sure exactly I'll update for future searchers.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
My drain and fill is 5.5 quarts, but I have the 3.8L version.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just add 6 and dont worry about it.
Looking at the dipstick I'd say that's the way this vehicle's been done prior to our getting it, you can see the discoloration on the dipstick above the "F".

I used to do that with other vehicles and half a quart won't cause any issues no doubt. However the KIA is by far the newest vehicle I've had in decades, so I'm planning to run full syn. I'm still hoping 5.5 will fill it, that means I only need to buy a 5 qt jug every other oil change, as I'll have a half quart left over. That's worth 6 or 7 bucks anyway.

I think I can get away with this plan as the Sedona has not appeared to use a drop of oil since we've had it, so I shouldn't need a top off. That will also be nice since the filters are more than double what I'm used to paying for an oil filter.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Neither one of My Sedonas, not even the Sedona with 233k miles burns a drop of oil. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance, 15k mile formula, so did the previous owner. I've changed the oil twice since I've owned it, both times drained a little over 5.25 qts. Losing .25 quarts over 15k miles is pretty good for such a high mileage engine, I think.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neither one of My Sedonas, not even the Sedona with 233k miles burns a drop of oil. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance, 15k mile formula, so did the previous owner. I've changed the oil twice since I've owned it, both times drained a little over 5.25 qts. Losing .25 quarts over 15k miles is pretty good for such a high mileage engine, I think.
That is excellent. Are you running 5w20 EP in them? Or something thicker?

This is my first vehicle spec'd for 5w20 and I'm struggling a little bit to make peace with it. However I've been watching the oil level like a hawk and it hasn't used any oil at all, which is one indication that the 5w20 is just fine for this engine.

It has dealer installed Quaker State 5w20 conventional in it now. My first DIY change will be Castrol Edge FST gold bottle in 5w20, got a killer BOGO deal on it at AAP.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I did my first oil change today and I thought I'd update for future searchers.

I got it nice and hot and drained it on ramps, so I got about as much of the old oil out as could be expected. After adding 5 quarts the stick was a bit under half way between "A" and "F". Adding the additional .5 quarts put the oil level right up against the bottom of the "F". That where I left it, so I'll only need a jug to do the next change.

Here's an interesting tidbit. The oil I drained was Quaker State dino installed by the KIA dealer. Much to my surprise the filter was NOT Hyundai/KIA OEM, it was a Mahle brand. It looked great and would have gone much farther than the 4k it was used IMO. Anyway I had none of the issues Hyundai/KIA warns of in the TSB. I installed a Napa Gold in it's place (Wix) and it seems to be fine as well.

Surprised me though to pull out the Mahle, I was expecting a KIA filter.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Sorry, I didn't see your previous post. Yes, I still use 5w20, and I buy OEM filter kits in bulk. Last time I got 10 of them shipped to my door from my dealer for $50. I think my higher mileage Sedona is developing a leak in the timing chain cover, it still has the factory RTV gasket.

·
Registered
'06 Kia Sedona, '05 Hyundai Santa Fe
2 Posts
I'm glad I found this post! Although quite a bit of time has passed since anyone posted, I wanted to add my thanks for the info about the quantity issue. My reason being, in my owner's manual, the section about changing the oil says to refill with 5 quarts of oil. However, in the specs section, at the back of the manual, it says to refill with 6 quarts of oil.
Now, that being said, I've done both, and the results on my dipstick have been the same! Both times, the oil shows up right in the middle of the range, between add & full! When I contacted my dealer about it, they said to just add the full 6 & not to worry. Ever since then, I've added 5.5, but I've always wondered about it. Thanks for giving me a little peace of mind now!:D

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've done mine several times now since the first change and 5.5 puts it right at the top, but not over "F".

Like others, ours does not seem to burn so much as a drop. Last oil change was 7k on full synthetic and I never added any oil and I checked fairly frequently at gas ups.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts