Kia Forum banner

441 - 452 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX FWD v6
57 Posts
Hard Ride overshadows the good in this SUV

I have a 2013 Sorento Ex with the luxury package. I like everything about it EXCEPT for the very hard ride. There is not a crack in the road this vehicle doesn't feel. I'm told it has a European style ride. Bull. It has a very bad suspension. It seems this condition was corrected in the 2014 model. I don't care as I have to live with the 2013 model. Doesn't Kia test drive these vehicles? I was given this vehicle by my son so I didn't test drive it. New York City has the worst roads in the world which only compounds the problem. There are only 39 thousand miles on this SUV. I do 5 thousand miles a year. I change the oil 2 times a year using OEM filters and Mobil one Oil. The car is detailed twice a year and washed at least once a month. It's a beautiful silver SUV. So what am I complaining about? THE TERRIBLE HARD RIDE.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX AWD
5 Posts
I just picked up my 2013 Sorento LX 46k, last week. I put 230 miles on it today.... felt like 115:> Still trying to get the feel for how the tranny shift and holds a gear as per road conditions and engine speed. Next bug deflector and weatherteh mats

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento 2WD 2.4L LX, 2013 Kia Rio EX
7 Posts
I have a 2013 LX 2.4 on 170k.

Posted using a calculator and delayed by AT&T.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
2 Posts
Just bought a Poop Brown 2011 Sorento LX V6 FWD with 125k miles on the odo for $7,800 off the lot cash last month. Freaking Good DEAL! Most go for well over 10k for a V6 FWD in MN. It's been a month now and I'm still making use of it. I have 2 kids and most of the weekends I have my nephew that comes over to play with my kids. Third row was used first today carrying all my nephew and nieces to Mother's Day. No problem even with AC on. But there is caveats to how it's been engineered.

Pros:

Smooth ride and firm when hitting bumps. I like that because you can tell what going on with the road and taking corners. Came with some new'ish Nexan or Nexus tires so I can't complain.

Third row is great for kids. Bad for grownups for long trips but still better then nothing. Folds flat so even better.

V6 is strong and can pull full loads up to highway speed pretty quick. Eco mode helps me with my stupid feet that can't stay still.

Front seats are really good for a Crossover. Side bolsters are pretty supportive. Sad I have no power seats or leather. But I can deal with it.

CONS:

Bluetooth doesn't work. I know the deal now.

Headlight connector overheated and melted the connection. Fixed it today with soldering on a porcelain H11 connector. I know the deal now.

Base stock radio is not good. No bass and more tin noise if you turn it up. My old 94 Camry had a better system.

Test drove, noticed it needs new idler pulleys. No biggie for me. Going to fix soon.

Coming off the line with a bit of power will make the front wheels lose grip. The Back hunches and the front lifts pretty bad but I knew what I was getting. Engine is pretty small and tucked pretty low and closer to the firewall so That makes it a better cornering car. No biggie for me.

One month of ownership and It's a mix bag. But for the price, I got a hell of a car.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
6 Posts
Just looking to see if anyone on here is really putting the miles on their Sorento, and what is your opinion of it so far? Lets try to keep this to the folks that have had their vehicle for more than a month or so. Hoping to hear from some with over ten thousand miles? What do you people think of it so far? Forums seem to draw mainly negative posts, I would love to hear both sides of it. I only have 1100 miles so far on my LX 4cyl FWD. But so far I am very pleased, other than a very noisy fuse box cover near my left knee that was a simple fix. . Great SUV so far, just hoping to have that same opinion a year or so from now.
Owner of 2012 Sorento with 128K miles on it. We've really enjoyed it. It's been relatively trouble-free, but is developing a little "personality" nowadays. Probably would not invest in major engine repairs at this point, as we no longer need a family hauler.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento LX 2.4L GDI 2012 Kia Sorento LX 2.4L MPI
2 Posts
I registered just to add to this discussion, it has been very helpful and I hope to help others. Our previous family hauler was a 2004 Mazda MPV. In 2016 my daughter began attending our local college and working so it seemed a good time to give the MPV to her and move on to our next vehicle. I have been a Ford man all of my life, but I'm very tired of my Fords rusting away and of working on front wheel drive V6's. My research started here:

iihs.org/ratings/driver-death-rates-by-make-and-model

The safety rating of the 2011 Sorento [0 driver deaths] turned my attention to it as did the fact that I could get a decently powerful non-turbo 4-cylinder in it with three row seating. We do some light to moderate off-road driving on logging trails that do flood and wash out and that also made the Sorento attractive to me because of its ground clearance. We purchased a 2014 LX 2.4L GDI model and I was fully aware of the recall. It had 59,000 miles on it and is now at 109,000 miles and has been trouble-free so far.

I had a 2005 Ford Escape I managed to slide off of an icy road and roll over in a field in 2017. I liked our 2014 Sorento so much I decided to get a 2012 Sorento LX 2.4L MPI I found on a nearby used car lot to replace the Escape. It had 66,000 miles on it and now has 81,000. It has also been trouble-free.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one again. We keep our vehicles as long as we can [typically 200,000 - 300,000 miles] and are the second owners of both Sorentos. My only regret is that both are FWD and I probably should have AWD on one of them, but it really hasn't mattered yet. I put a set of GEOLANDAR A/T G015 tires on both and so far haven't gotten stuck in anything. I tow a small utility trailer with our 2014 and managed to get 5 occupants, gear and the trailer full of more gear up a slippery, washed out and muddy hill this past summer. Kumho tires and that same stretch of road were a bit more challenging but we managed even with those. My only gripe so far really is that the seats in both Sorentos stain so easily.

I change my own oil with Valvoline 5w20 synthetic blend at 5000 miles in both and use Hyundai filters. I changed the transmission fluid in both with Valvoline Maxlife synthetic and that seems to be a very good match as others have noted. Based on some obsessive Bobistheoilguy reading lately I'll probably switch to 5w30 because I care more about engine protection than economy.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
465 Posts
I'll probably switch to 5w30 because I care more about engine protection than economy.
Good to hear that you're happy after 100k miles. I'm right at about 80k with my 2016, and I would say I'm still happy at this point. I also try to keep vehicles for 300k if possible.

Regarding 5w20 vs 5w30, I can tell you in the 2016, I couldn't see any noticeable improvement in fuel economy when I was using 5w20. I switched back to 5w30 for the same reason you noted.. better protection at the end of the day.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento LX 2.4L GDI 2012 Kia Sorento LX 2.4L MPI
2 Posts
Good to hear that you're happy after 100k miles. I'm right at about 80k with my 2016, and I would say I'm still happy at this point. I also try to keep vehicles for 300k if possible.

Regarding 5w20 vs 5w30, I can tell you in the 2016, I couldn't see any noticeable improvement in fuel economy when I was using 5w20. I switched back to 5w30 for the same reason you noted.. better protection at the end of the day.
Thank you for that information! From everything I'm reading 5w30 does a much better job of protecting the timing chain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just looking to see if anyone on here is really putting the miles on their Sorento, and what is your opinion of it so far? Lets try to keep this to the folks that have had their vehicle for more than a month or so. Hoping to hear from some with over ten thousand miles? What do you people think of it so far? Forums seem to draw mainly negative posts, I would love to hear both sides of it. I only have 1100 miles so far on my LX 4cyl FWD. But so far I am very pleased, other than a very noisy fuse box cover near my left knee that was a simple fix. . Great SUV so far, just hoping to have that same opinion a year or so from now.
I have 2012, 122,000 miles, the only real complaint is the issue I am experiencing with Oil consumption that will cost me over 1,500 to fix.

441 - 452 of 452 Posts