Kia Forum banner

401 - 420 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my car May 2012. It is now almost 3 years old. I have had several problems with it and a new problem now and would love to know if anyone has had this problem.

Problems I've had so far.

1. Gas milage (average 16mpg) was getting 20 but now getting 16 steadily. Have had done all the mileage checkups and maintenance. No codes showing up. Driving like a grandma (no offence to grandmothers). I do not tromp on the gas and drive the speed limit.

2. Car engine is stopping. It has done it twice in two weeks. First time I was stopping at a stop sign and the second one I had my car in park and was dropping off my son at school. No codes showing up. The battery was still working. KIA says unless a code shows up, nothing can be done.

3. Had rear 60/40 seat replaced twice.

4. Had front hood latch switch replaced.

5. Had front drivers seat replaced.

6. Had rear hatch replaced.

7. Had radio replaced 3 times.

I'm assuming I have a lemon. But can't do much about it. If anyone has had any problems similar to mine, I would appreciate any responses.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 w/premium package
25 Posts
Well, I've been singing Kia praises till now. Have exactly 25,000 on my Sorento Ex and can tell you I won't be getting another one. It's sad because it's not a bad vehicle, but it does me no good when the people who service it are worthless. And it's just little things that have added up. 1st, I had stains in the headliner. They were originally the same color as the headliner so it didn't bother me- well they keep getting darker. Kia tried to tell me it was sap from a Christmas tree- funny cause I don't celebrate Christmas. I pressed them and was told district manager would look at it when he' in town. Guess he's never in town cause that was 4 months ago. Then more little things like the sunshade not staying closed- I was told "it's just like that" and "there is nothing we can do". So when I didn't give their service dept. a "10" and explained why all of a sudden there is a fix. There might be, but here is the thing- it still opens after 2 times taking it back. That brings me to another pet peeve I have. If I bring something in for a problem and the dealer can't "duplicate issue", don't send me home without telling me it wasn't fixed which they did. The last straw, is replacement of the rear leather seat cover. There is a part of the bottom that was rubbing people in the 3rd row, so they decided to replace the entire cover. What I got back was a seat cover that is very ill fitting. I told the service man, no way was I accepting that and put the old one back on. He ASSURED me that it would conform to the seat and fit tight with time. He told me the car needed to sit in the sun so the leather would shrink. He finally told me that if it wasn't resolved by my next oil change, they would take care of it.

Guess what? I brought it back and they told me there was nothing they could do. Didn't even try- just gave me Kia 800 number. I called, they spoke with someone there who took pictures. One week later, I haven't heard from the service dept. I called the 800 number and was told they sent pics to district manager (the one I'm still waiting to hear from about the headliner). Now I'm told there might be nothing they could about the seat. Now you want to hear the worst part- the reason they replaced it to begin with, which was the bottom plastic rubbing 3rd row- well guess what, it's just made like that so the whole reason for replacement was for nothing.

I know these aren't catastrophic failures, but if this is how they deal with the small stuff, what happens later on when I really need the warranty? Better yet, what good is a warranty when the service isn't done right the 1st time?

Shame on you Gunther Kia Service dept and on you too KIA. Because instead of keeping me as a customer (which would of been simple), you lost me.

Also, all those sites that I gave you good reviews, well I'm going to be updating each and every one with the service that I've received.

I included pics. The right seat cover is loose and wrinkles and the left is tight and doesn't move.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Engine Shutting off

I bought my car May 2012. It is now almost 3 years old. I have had several problems with it and a new problem now and would love to know if anyone has had this problem.

Problems I've had so far.

1. Gas milage (average 16mpg) was getting 20 but now getting 16 steadily. Have had done all the mileage checkups and maintenance. No codes showing up. Driving like a grandma (no offence to grandmothers). I do not tromp on the gas and drive the speed limit.

2. Car engine is stopping. It has done it twice in two weeks. First time I was stopping at a stop sign and the second one I had my car in park and was dropping off my son at school. No codes showing up. The battery was still working. KIA says unless a code shows up, nothing can be done.

3. Had rear 60/40 seat replaced twice.

4. Had front hood latch switch replaced.

5. Had front drivers seat replaced.

6. Had rear hatch replaced.

7. Had radio replaced 3 times.

I'm assuming I have a lemon. But can't do much about it. If anyone has had any problems similar to mine, I would appreciate any responses.
As far as point 2 is concerned, there have been service bulletins on this issue and there is an ECM update. A lot of people have had this issue and no lights have come on. For them to tell you that is a lot of BS. Do yourself a favor and read these forums because this community can help. It's sad when you get more answers from here than you do at the service centers. Not all are bad, but some are truly clueless.

·
Registered
2011XM
9 Posts
So i traded in my 2001 LXV6 $wd unit for a 2011. I must say i do not have many issues, but I will not buy another KIA. My Service Dept is okay. but i seen and have heard customer complain about everything. I am most likely going to get a Honda or a Toyota truck next or a Ford 150. Maybe even a Subaru. I just have not decided since i do not make a lot of money and need to work in a budget but a word of Advice, do not buy any car with GDI, there was a reason why it was dumped by the creators of it. It causes major damage issues. Secondly the brakes on the KIA are way to sensitive. going over rail road tracks or small ice patches makes them freak out, American cars and good high quality cars this does not happen! Smaller issues are like door locks stop working and make grinding noises, oh front end alignments suck on all Hyundai and kia's. i was told from a employee that both companies fail out the gate for Front End alignment issues and they are always off no matter what. I love the room they have but the suspension Sucks, all wheel drive sucks on them as well. that sums up my thoughts abd i have FOUR KIA's two of the same vehicles, the 2001 seemed to be the better deal i never should have traded up!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a previous owner of pretty much every make and model, I can attest to every single car manufacturer having complaints from people about this, that, and the other- you can't please everyone- if they could there would only be one vehicle manufacturer.

However, with that in mind- what can be controlled is how issues are dealt with. Keep a customer happy with your service even though he/she is having to come back a lot- maybe that person will stay and even get the same make.

Treat a customer like an idiot and refuse to make up for any mistakes and you lose them.

Just sold my 2013 Sorento with no remorse. Vehicle wasn't that bad, but the service center I dealt with (who I've been waiting for a call back for over 3 weeks) left me with doubt and little faith in the product. Sadly, they lost a good customer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 KIA Sorento Si 2.2 l TURBO diesel

hi, I'm new to the forum. We've had the our KIA for around 2.4 years and just done 37,000kms in Australia. A few minor issues early on but since then it goes well. Towed a smallish van well around parts of Australia. Have taken it to authorised service centre to keep the warranty and they do a good job. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I owned a 2003 Sorrento. Put about 150K miles on it. At 90K a new head gasket, at 150K a blown head gasket and ruined engine.

I now own a 2011 Sorrento. It has around 70k on it. I can not give a single complaint on this vehicle that isn't due to its size. 3rd row is tight, but we knew that buying it. Mechanically, I can not complain

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6 AWD
354 Posts
As far as point 2 is concerned, there have been service bulletins on this issue and there is an ECM update. A lot of people have had this issue and no lights have come on. For them to tell you that is a lot of BS. Do yourself a favor and read these forums because this community can help. It's sad when you get more answers from here than you do at the service centers. Not all are bad, but some are truly clueless.
Does the ECM update work? I'm pretty sure I've read it hasn't worked for many.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6 AWD
354 Posts
2013 AWD V6. I now have 21K miles and overall still going strong. The motor does still shut off when coming to a stop now and then but not very often. Other than that, I'd still rank it as the best car I've ever owned. The V6 and tranny are so smooth that I look forward every time I take it for a spin.

·
Registered
'98 Silverado (farm truck), '11 Sorento LX-AWD (was mine now SWMBO's), '15 Sorento EX-V6
85 Posts
2011 Sorento LX AWD w/ I4 Engine. Bought April 2011. Gave it to my wife last month when I bought my '15 Sorento EX-V6. I drive a LOT (about 60,000km/37000mi) a year .

Here's the deal on the '11 LX AWD thus far:
241,300km as of today (149,900 miles)
3rd set of tires (first set ran 90,000km, second set 100,000km, now on the 3rd).
Original brake pads and rotors still on all wheels with about 30% of pad life still left.
Just before I gave it to the Mrs. I took it in for a "checkover" and tire rotation. They said the alignment was still spot on, there's no appreciable wear in any of the suspension components, they changed the coolant and transmission fluid for me (I had them done at around 150,000km (95,000 miles) the first time).
I've done my oil changes at 10,000km "on the dot" since new (every 6,000 miles) - and have used full synthetic oil since 160,000km.
One repair under warranty - the shift lever interlock got annoyingly noisy and would click quite loudly when stopping at traffic lights, etc. They replaced the whole mechanism at 90,000km.
One repair after warranty - needed refrigerant in the A/C - it stopped blowing cold air at 201,000km -- they couldn't find a leak anywhere (filled it with dye and made me drive for a week last summer - brought it back - no sign of UV dye anywhere - so they topped it off and it's been fine since).
Put in all new low beam and high beam bulbs at 220,000km when one low beam burned out - Osram Silverstars in the HB and LB, and I put LED bulbs in the fog lights at 230,000km.
Everything else - working like the day it was new still - climate control, radio, cruise, wipers, etc. - 100% believer in Kia quality.

For the Mrs it's a great upgrade for her - even with 240,000km on it - her last car was an '01 Honda Accord with 494,000km (306,000 miles) on it - we weren't going to put another $ into it - and it wouldn't pass its emissions test this year as it had a bad evap solenoid - so that was the end of its long career.

·
Premium Member
06 Sportage EX, 06 Amanti, 11 Sorento SX
119 Posts
I got 123k miles on my SX AWD and the only thing I do is change the oil and put gas. She runs great! Never disappointments.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 3.5L
35 Posts
Not too bad

Second owner on a 2011 EX with the 3.5L. Got it two years ago with 40,000 miles. It's at 70,000 now.
Came with a hitch, which is good for carrying bikes, but if we hitch our 850 lb trailer, there is barely 800 lbs towing capacity left for any load to put ON the trailer. Well, we knew that ahead of time, and that's why the Ford Explorer, with its 5000 lbs towing capacity remains with the family.
The Sorento has been quiet, powerful, and comfortable. Getting around 23mpg, which some may complain about, but it's the most economic vehicle I ever owned. Overall a good purchase.

Problems so far:
1) Cruise control disconnected intermittently for no rhyme or reason. There is really no such thing as cruise control in newer 'fly by wire' vehicles, because the throttle is computer controlled, so it had to be either a software bug or the switch. Replaced the switch assembly and so far so good.
2) A week ago the check engine light illuminated for the first time. Code P0713 - transmission fluid temperature sensor out of range. I replaced it, but it wasn't easy (see my thread on the subject).

Likes/Dislikes:
* Surprisingly powerful engine for 3.5L V6. Feels more powerful than the 5.0L V8 in my Explorer. Guess that's what variable valve timing and other fancy modern design features are good for.
* 6-speed transmission shifts nicely and quietly. Like the 'sports' semi-manual mode.
* Power seat adjustment only on driver side. Guess we should have bought the fancier SX...
* The immitation leather seat covers feel cheap
* Rear view mirror is the ancient manual flip day/night position. Haven't seen one of those in a couple decades...
* Too many plastic body parts.
* And above all, most parts are not available on the secondary market, and the dealer's prices are in the sky. Almost $100 for a pair of hood lifters. I can buy three sets of of those for that money for my other cars!
* Hate the lack of transmission fluid dipstick and the complicated refill procedure. Sadly, all new vehicles, foreign or domestic are like that.
* Getting to the rear three spark plugs requires removing the upper intake manifold, along with about a hundred bolts and two dozen electrical connectors. Some coolant needs to be drained too. The job, which I can do on my traditional longitudinal engine/transmission configuration vehicles in less than an hour took a whole day.
* The factory service manual is written in 'Konglish' (English with Korean word order and grammar). I like this because of its entertainment value and because it makes me feel 'at home' (spent a long time in Korea).

·
Registered
2011XM
9 Posts
New Jersey, 72, 355 miles on a 2011 XM body LX V6 AWD.

No issues except for the right side door locking mechanism that makes noise every time you go to unlock the doors, motor was replaced twice. I gave up and don't care to be honest as it can be ignored.
Trans fluid changed at 55k
Radiator fluid changed at 50K
Rear gear fluid changed at 60k
P/S fluid and brake fluid changed at 45k
Brakes replaced with minimal wear to rotors, .001 of a inch wear all the way around on the each rotor.
Replaced stock crap tires with Yoko's, have 39K on them and going to give them to my GF as she has the same year and make car as well and her tires are dry rotted and these will get her through winter. But i hate the tires. I am switching to LTX A/T 2 tires.

I love the car, but the suspension could be better. Seat material absorbs and stain way to easy and it is hard to get them clean from snow and water that gets on them. Red is a poor choice for dashboard color for radio, maybe a over hang for it to keep sun off it s you can see it better or a bright snow white color next time.

ABS System sucks on all KIA's and Hyundai. They are way to sensitive and feel like a heard of angry beavers eating at the brake peddle. It should not go off going over manhole covers when your foot is barley on the brake. KIA says it is standard based of what the government states they want to be, I said BS BMW brakes are not like that or Ford and Dodge. Only your company. Can't stand their braking systems for ABS.

Might get another one but am leaning towards a Subaru Crosstex or a str8 up truck or a Jeep Cherokee.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX AWD (Titanium Silver); 2013 MINI Cooper S Hardtop, 6-sp. manual (Eclipse Gray)
121 Posts
Now at 60,00 miles. Still love the Sorento, but some issues popped up just before 60k:

1. There was a faint, high-pitched squeak when turning the steering wheel. It sounded to me like two pieces of plastic rubbing together under the dash, but the dealership ended up replacing the steering rack under warranty.
  2. The dealership also found that the front brake pads needed to be replaced, not covered by warranty.
  3. While driving it home from having those two things fixed, I noticed a pronounced knock in the left front when going over driveway aprons, moderate bumps (e. g.: RR tracks), etc., and immediately called the dealership. Two more 50-mile round trips (one to drop it off & one to pick it up) and they replaced an idler arm under warranty.
  4. Also during that second visit, I had complained previously that the right side middle-row seat often wouldn't release when it was folded down. The last time, they said nothing was wrong, and I probably just had to put some weight on it while pulling the handle. It did it again, and my 270 lbs. on the seat back did absolutely nothing, so they finally replaced the latch mechanism under warranty.
  5. And, it wasn't always starting -- not even cranking -- until several attempts had been made; they found a bad connection going to some module and (hopefully) fixed it.
And all of that started with a visit for an oil change and to check the squeaking steering wheel! :eek:

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
17 Posts
2011 LX with the V6. 125K miles

Overall a great car. I bought it from the auto auction at 10 months old with 14K on it. All I've done is bought oil and filters. I have the cloth seats, and they are horrible for stains and dog hair.

We drive a lot, and drive fast. This car is great for passing 10 cars on a two lane highway when you can pass. We get around 19mpg, it has dropped over the years, when we first started with it, we would get 25 on long trips. I haven't changed the spark plugs, and the brakes are still fine. I was thinking maybe it was time to change the timing chain, but I see the recommendation here is not to bother, it should go to the life of the engine.

BTW, what can I expect to get out of this car? 250K? I just bought an old Mercedes E420 with 140K on it, and according the enthusiasts on a Benz forum, 400k is reasonable on the E420 engine, with never failing on the transmission. I hope the KIA can get to 250.

I was on a buy and sell after 3 year and 100K miles routine, now I am thinking of keeping this Sorento. It is great for hauling around dogs and stuff, and it does great in the snow.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX FWD
2 Posts
I have 2012 LX bought in June 2011. Just crossed 78,000 miles. this car has been the most problem free vehicle I have ever owned. I drive in Northern Ohio and Penn and with FWD only it is best snow/ice car I've had in over 35 years. Mostly have changed oil and filters around 4000 miles, keep tires balanced and aligned and that's about it. All work done at dealer who we've done business with for over 3 decades. We are now in early 70's so don't beat cars up very much.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2012 at 60k miles.

The good: really comfortable for long drives, like for example L.A. to Yellowstone and back. I say this as someone who used to do cross-country test drives in BMW & Mercedes vehicles; the Kia is no less comfortable. Pretty quick as noted above. Interior is holding up pretty well. The only thing you could buy then with a 3rd row that was not a huge beast.

The bad: well, not so much bad as "meh": the fuel economy (and its just FWD). The handling is also "eh." It is VERY sensitive to dips in the road, and you feel bumps much more than BMW/Benz. Some creaks and mild rattles and other noises, not as tight as those other brands.

The ugly: Microsoft UVO! Jeez, the voice recognition fails perhaps half the time in various ways, sometimes saying "I'm sorry I didn't hear you say anything" even after the dealer replaced the microphone. Also sometimes there is a LOT of clicking and popping in the sound system, on every source. It does not go away except by shutting off the car for a while.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The ugly:
…and let me add, whoever specified the phone behaviors:
- Really, I have to confirm the number I want to dial before I dial? By the time I do all this, I'm already home! Should just dial and let me cancel.
- It is RETARDED how the voice dial will fail because the phone book has not finished downloading. Nobody thought to specify a "contact not found/still downloading phone book" message?!?!? Really?!?!? Idiots, did nobody test this thing????

-Sunroof wind noise. My C230K and C300 proved you do not have to have wind noise with a sunroof.

Overall though I live with the uglies because the vehicle is pretty pleasant.

401 - 420 of 452 Posts