Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to see if anyone on here is really putting the miles on their Sorento, and what is your opinion of it so far? Lets try to keep this to the folks that have had their vehicle for more than a month or so. Hoping to hear from some with over ten thousand miles? What do you people think of it so far? Forums seem to draw mainly negative posts, I would love to hear both sides of it. I only have 1100 miles so far on my LX 4cyl FWD. But so far I am very pleased, other than a very noisy fuse box cover near my left knee that was a simple fix. . Great SUV so far, just hoping to have that same opinion a year or so from now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
almost 10,000

Just looking to see if anyone on here is really putting the miles on their Sorento, and what is your opinion of it so far? Lets try to keep this to the folks that have had their vehicle for more than a month or so. Hoping to hear from some with over ten thousand miles? What do you people think of it so far? Forums seem to draw mainly negative posts, I would love to hear both sides of it. I only have 1100 miles so far on my LX 4cyl FWD. But so far I am very pleased, other than a very noisy fuse box cover near my left knee that was a simple fix. . Great SUV so far, just hoping to have that same opinion a year or so from now.
Check my posts which start in early February and detail mileage, servicing, overall satisfaction levels over 8,900 mi so far.

You can use the search function in the upper right corner of the blue header bar.

Know what you mean about the type of posting, but it's no different in the Ford or GM or Hyundai SUV forums, either. I don't know if its the times or what....Not all young'uns are like that--my 3 kids in their 30s and 40s are successful and optimistic, even tho the Old Man's glass is half empty, theirs is half full.....I didn't mean to start a firestorm, folks, just observations....

Happy motoring with your new Sorento!

--Frank

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
I have made a sticky of this thread so it stays at the top of the forum, good idea for a thread ,steve131. :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
About 8500 miles on mine and had the following issues:

1) Sun Roof Chatter (twice repaired).
2) Tail light blew out (all lamps replaced under campaign).
3) Middle seat plastic bolt cover keeps coming off.
4) Leather steering wheel is starting to peal on top where I usually grasp it with one hand.
5) Installed a Curtis class III hitch and use it with a carrier that weigh about 90lbs. Total weight of carrier and contents was about 250lbs. With two people in the middle seat, weighing about 360lbs, the darn thing bottoms out on any significant bump.
6) No Daytime Running Lights and no factory option kit to install it.
7) Don't know if headlamps are on or not because instrument panel is always illuminated. (yes it has the green tail light indicator, but who looks for that). It's a problem if it starts to rain and you are on "Auto" but it's not dark enough.
8) When holding the steering wheel at the spokes, the "Mode" button for the radio is too easily contacted.
9) Rear hatch window doesn't open.

Most of these things are just annoyances, but I still prefer my old 2004 Sorento EX 4WD, and would still have it if my wife didn't turn it into a giant paper weight!

My dealer service has been great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So Far

I have 1200 miles appx. So far so good. Love it! Went from a 2000 Jeep Wrangler to 2011 Sorento. Like a Cadillac. Quiet, smooth ride, cant decide to listen to Satelite radio or IPod. No problems so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a 2011 Kia Sorento 4cyl LX with almost 1000 miles. So far no problems.
Ride is somewhat stiff, but overall can not complain. Only wish that this model
would have come with the compass and temp in the rear view mirror as well as
the auto dim and back-up camera.

·
Registered
18 Posts
11' AWD V6 with 1900 miles and other than a nasty rock chip in the windshield, which is supposed to be fixed this morning. We love ours! the 25.5 and 26 mpg are a nice surprise. (we live in Iowa and most of our driving is 55-60 MPH)

·
Registered
101 Posts
If the suspension was better tuned, I would have to say this is the perfect Crossover for 2010. It is roomy, has all the gadgets anybody would want and is afordable.

On top of that, the fuel economy is pretty good. Considering this is a heavy vehicule running a V6, Average of 10.8L/100KMs is very good.

Enjoying every day I go to work with my Sorento. (Aprox. 6000KMs on the Odo.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
5 K miles
Overall Satisfaction: UNABLE TO DECIDE TO KEEP OR TRADE Maybe 2012 KIA will do some fixes.

PRO:
Quiet, with low wind noise at expressway speeds.
A horn that can really be activated while turning wheel. Sure beats looking for the 2 little icons on the wheel which you can't do in an emergency.
Comfortable seating
Very efficient AC
Great intelligent door locking controller.
Sliders on sunvisor are nice.
Nicely finished paint job.
Good Bluetooth system

CON:
I think the steering mechanism needs a shock damper. Going around corners and hitting bumps with a front wheel at the same time feels like the wheel is not attached to the car and wants to fall off.
Ride and suspension stiffness I would rate 1 out of 10 with 1 being the worst.
Banging/clanging of right front suspension since day 1. Looks like SC082 is not helping others.
Customer service deaf to complaints. No notifications of campaigns.
Dealer service too new, plus new product makes it hard to really fix anything right.
Chrome rings around instruments are a blinding safety issue.
Red instrumentation unreadable on bright sunny days.
Blown tail light lamp & my vehicle was supposed to have the better bulbs.
Bluetooth buttons too easily activated turning steering wheel. The buttons should be recessed slightly.
Drivers window up/down button getting sloppy/loose.
Poor visibility for back-up and parking.
No temperature/compass/door opener on lower models. Should be a reasonably priced separate option.
Needs better storage places near driver. Use the clock area and move clock.
Cheap carpeting, especially trunk area. Optional floor mats should be standard equip.
Loose under-fender liners and poor assembly with push pins not fully seated.
Metal ignition key needs to replaced with a modern plastic fob
Rear wiper/washer control should be on steering wheel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I am now at 2000 miles and still very happy. Very quiet vehicle. Mileage is averaging around 24 combined city and Highway. Still very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I love my Sorento, I've only had mine one month. I traded in a 2007 Dodge Caliber. I feel like I'm driving a Cadillac, the ride is so smooth compared to the Dodge. I have the LX 4 cyl FWD with conveniece package and love it! The hands free phone is wonderful along with the backup camera. I can't see anything changing my opinion on my Sorento but I will keep posting and let you know how my experience progresses.
Just wondering if there are any TSB's for the build date of my Sorento (May 25, 2010)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My LX 4wd has 5K miles. My only real problem so far is with the gas mileage and a slight squeeking noise coming from the blower motor, which I plan to take to the dealer to be repaired under warranty. As for the earlier poster who mentioned the lack of daytime running lights. I always wondered why anybody would actually want this garbage feature on their car. It wears your bulbs out twice as fast and is only necessary when a storm is coming or you are driving in foggy weather. I have the perfect solution for this. TURN ON YOUR HEADLIGHTS. What do you think daytime running lights really are? My last car had them. My low beam headlights were on all of the time. You can leave your headlights on all of the time in the 2011 Sorento if you want. They turn off on their own after you turn the car off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I now have 600 miles on my car and at last fill up I got 15.8 mpg. I'll be happy when I get to 24 mpg, although I didn't by it for the gas milege. What is the normal break in period?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
hi. first post on kia sorento. we have 2304 miles now. my sorento won out over a toyota highlander because of better warrenty, $3000 less, 6 speed trans, 2 mpg better. i am waiting to get the better gas mileage. it gets 16 around town and 23 on the highway. that is not the 20 city 26 freeway the window sticker said. my sorento wanders some and 5 times it has not accelerated for 3 seconds after a corner. i hope there is a recall to cure these problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2011 EX w/Prem Package

I bought this car one month after they came out and have just passed the 10K mile mark.

CONS:mad::
-My dealership experiences have been aweful. Don Beyer Kia in Northern VA is the worst. They never hear about any of the Service Campaigns i bring the car in for. They kept my car for two days to add lubricant because they said they "never did it before and was going to use my car as a guinea pig". They tried to give me a 2007 Kia Sedona that smelled like a gym sock and said that was their only car. I had to come back a week later so they could give me a 2008 Optima that looked like the interior had never been cleaned. That car actually died on me...
-Air conditioner makes high-pitched whirring noise. Took to dealer twice and they "can't reproduce".
-The suspension is a bit stiff. I know people think they are riding a Caddy, but I disagree. I used to own a BMW 3-series and that had a much better ride.
-The rear window does not open. This was a feature in the previous Sorento, not sure why they got rid of it.
-Auto lights don't always turn on in the rain.
-I have the all-weather mats, and they constantly slide forward. They need a hook to stay in place...
-The car does not like to upshift while going up on hills. The car starts to rev above 4000rpm and I usually just slide the shifter to manual mode and upshift by hand. Really annoying...
-Gas mileage is TERRIBLE!!! I have been getting 18 city and 22 highway. All I have in my car is a golf set and about 40 lbs of luggage (total about 220 lbs including myself).
-I agree with the chrome accents being a blinding hazard mentioned earlier.
-I wish the flat surface where the clock is was truly flat. I have a GPS with a suction cup that won't stick on that area because it is curved just enough.

PROS:):
-For a car "made in the USA" the car actually feels like there is some quality. The leather seats from the Prem. Package are nice. There are many features you just aren't used to seeing in a car in the same price range. You can tell they had to lower the quality on some things compared to the last model (like the dash) in order to pay the higher wages in this country, but the end product looks great.
-Push Start is great. I like to knowing the dash will not be scratched by a key from trying to hurry and start my car. I know one guy complained about wanting a plastic button, but for something that is going to be used twice every time you get in, plastic would just wear down too easily.
-AC is still super cold and works fast. My car has dual climate control which works wonders as well. My car usually leaves a puddle everywhere I park because of all the condensation.
-Room for storage is great. I especially like the hidden compartments in the floor of the trunk.

FINAL THOUGHT:
I probably would spend a bit more and get the V6. The 4 cylinder sounds like a whiny kid when I want to accelerate.

·
Registered
148 Posts
5 K miles
Overall Satisfaction: UNABLE TO DECIDE TO KEEP OR TRADE Maybe 2012 KIA will do some fixes.
I know you've had the bad suspension and terrible service. Your list of pro's and con's is pretty insightful. Some comments:

PRO:
Quiet, with low wind noise at expressway speeds.
It is a remarkably quiet vehicle isn't it?

A horn that can really be activated while turning wheel. Sure beats looking for the 2 little icons on the wheel which you can't do in an emergency.
I'm not that fond of the horn, pressing it feels a little plastic-y and cheap compared to others.

Comfortable seating
True!

Great intelligent door locking controller.
I kind of like it to, but the 30 second re-lock will take some getting used to. I'm having alarm/remote start put on which will change this function too...

Sliders on sunvisor are nice.
It's a nice idea to have the sliders but I find the sunvisors to be lightweight and kind of cheap feeling overall.

CON:

I think the steering mechanism needs a shock damper. Going around corners and hitting bumps with a front wheel at the same time feels like the wheel is not attached to the car and wants to fall off.
Ride and suspension stiffness I would rate 1 out of 10 with 1 being the worst.
Banging/clanging of right front suspension since day 1. Looks like SC082 is not helping others.
I can't wait to get this done and see if it helps. I find the front suspension highly off-putting. It makes the vehicle feel absolutely broken.

Customer service deaf to complaints. No notifications of campaigns. Dealer service too new, plus new product makes it hard to really fix anything right.
Same here, it's almost like the product quality and sales growth have grown way too fast for the dealerships to keep up.

Chrome rings around instruments are a blinding safety issue.
I don't mind these in the least, no blinding or reflections. I do wish the instrument cluster button was in a different spot instead of up so high in the dial.

Red instrumentation unreadable on bright sunny days.
Yeah there are times the interior is not visible but here on Canadian models at least we have daytime running lights and light sensors that make this pretty much not an issue.

Bluetooth buttons too easily activated turning steering wheel. The buttons should be recessed slightly.
I've done that a few times also, but it hasn't been a big deal.

Poor visibility for back-up and parking.
Totally agree... all the corners are hard to see actually. The rear view camera will be a must if I buy another one of these. Haven't gotten comfortable with the parking sonar yet... it beeps when I know I'm safe and other times I'm nervous as to why it's not going off...

No temperature/compass/door opener on lower models. Should be a reasonably priced separate option.
Tend to agree.. .they've stuff loads of new tech on this vehicle, a temperature and compass would only add a few bucks.

Needs better storage places near driver. Use the clock area and move clock.
I agree the clock is ill-placed and bit too prominent. I've blanked out the passenger air bag light which is way too prominent on solo night trips. I'm thinking of blanking out the interior air recirc light too. Having those two bright yellow lights detracts from the otherwise pleasant red lighting displays.

Cheap carpeting, especially trunk area. Optional floor mats should be standard equip.
So true, it's more like a thin fuzz coating than 'carpet'.

Loose under-fender liners and poor assembly with push pins not fully seated.
I'm not that confident in those little plastic nuts either. Mine seem to spin endless making me think they could be stripped?

Metal ignition key needs to replaced with a modern plastic fob
Do you mean the smart key? That is available on some levels. The basic LX key setup doesn't bother me.

Rear wiper/washer control should be on steering wheel.
That is a bit of a weird setup having those separate buttons for the rear wiper and wash. But it's used pretty infrequently so I don't really mind at all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Beyond what's already been said, the cabin is really the nicest of the class, even on the base model. Besides the appearance, there is some great luxury touch and feel with the knobs, buttons, climate system dials, and other controls. The plush feel carries through to the steering wheel and center console which were the best of all the affordable CUV's.

The 2nd row rear seats have a variable recline, and the head rests automatically drop forward when you fold down the 2nd row seats.

The hatch has some unique aspects with the recessed false floor concept where the 3rd row seats would go. I'm intrigued at the different storage options it offers. It's easy to conceal gloves shopping bags, tools, or a laptop , but I haven't used it enough to know whether I'd just prefer a bigger open volume instead.

Some of the typical problem spots already have felt (seat belt buckle sockets) or butyl treatment (dash pieces) to reduce cabin noise and rattles.

The stock alloy wheels are attractive.

The Shiftronic feels great and seems (?) to have some dummy-proofing built in to override if the driver is not shifting properly.

Another dummy proof feature is when the dealer left the parking brake on and I started to move, there was an instant and obvious alarm.

It has some standout features too, like the built-in bluetooth and media system, the advanced lights, and mirror mounted LED indicators.

I like that the cruise control can be enabled even at lower speeds as some cruise systems won't work at slow speeds.

Normally I hate body cladding, but the bottom plastic layer here seems tasteful and practical. And I'm not liking to clean the hex grid pattern in the front and rear bumper areas though.

All is not perfect. The body skin feels and sounds thin, the weather stripping has ugly and obvious seams, and there are aspects of the interior that look they will not stand up over time. The power locks sound really clunky in the hollow sounding doors.

Gas mileage seems low but I knew that going in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Overall...OK

I have a little over 3000 miles, but when I hit around 1200, something shorted out and the smell of burning wires or plastic or both, was very prominent. The dashboard lights went out (not the Radio/GPS or speedometer), but were back on the next day (?). I took it in for service and after two days, they couldn't find anything. I took a 1000 mile round trip on August 5 and I noticed the mood lighting on the drivers door was flickering. I will be taking it in for that very soon. I'm guessing that is related to the short out. Other than the flickering mood light, I had no problems during my recent trip (from DC to SC and back). One thing I notice is a bump or thump sometimes when I start the car. I'm guessing it's the transmission. Thank God this car has a great warranty! Oh, another thing, when I hand wash the car, I noticed that the headlight lenses fog up. It seems to go away after a short period of time, but I'm not sure having moisture in there is a good thing.

As for the looks of the car, I absolutely love it. I get a lot of looks driving it down the road. By the way, I got just about every option you can get on the EX.

1 - 20 of 450 Posts
About this Discussion
449 Replies
256 Participants
ron1004
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing