Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm a new 2013 Kia EX Sedan owner and have had the car for less than a month now and have about 1400 miles on it right now. I have a very long commute to work 5 days a week (about 34 miles with freeway each way) and I have to fill up twice a week. The gas light comes on at around 300 miles. I'm sure I can still go a little while longer, but I get very nervous when the range shows me --. It's very disappointing as I used to get 370+ miles with my old 2008 Elantra that I traded in. Granted, the Rio's gas tank is smaller and I'm thinking is this the problem? I've tried it with both Eco on and off and haven't noticed a difference. Do you think it will improve with time? How many miles do you go before you fill up? What's the most you have ever gone? Thanks!

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm a new 2013 Kia EX Sedan owner and have had the car for less than a month now and have about 1400 miles on it right now. I have a very long commute to work 5 days a week (about 34 miles with freeway each way) and I have to fill up twice a week. The gas light comes on at around 300 miles. I'm sure I can still go a little while longer, but I get very nervous when the range shows me --. It's very disappointing as I used to get 370+ miles with my old 2008 Elantra that I traded in. Granted, the Rio's gas tank is smaller and I'm thinking is this the problem? I've tried it with both Eco on and off and haven't noticed a difference. Do you think it will improve with time? How many miles do you go before you fill up? What's the most you have ever gone? Thanks!
This is mainly attributed to the fact that you dont have enough mileage on your car and the fact that you are driving through rush hour traffic perhaps.

Our tank is also quite small 36 Liters I believe with a E tank of 7L. Total of 43
So this is quite a comparison if you're filling up a mid size sedan or bigger.

Ive been on road trips getting 600+ and still not hit E but that's highway driving. In city your mileage will be worst also depending on hills and traffic etc.

It will get a lot better once you break it in more or less.

We all expected great gas mileage but at the end of the day from previous posts its been mediocre and has not really met the sticker mileage. Depending on your driving style you may hit it or if you like driving like me I average around 8L/100km haha

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I'm a new 2013 Kia EX Sedan owner and have had the car for less than a month now and have about 1400 miles on it right now. I have a very long commute to work 5 days a week (about 34 miles with freeway each way) and I have to fill up twice a week.

The gas light comes on at around 300 miles. I'm sure I can still go a little while longer, but I get very nervous when the range shows me ---.

It's very disappointing as I used to get 370+ miles with my old 2008 Elantra that I traded in. Granted, the Rio's gas tank is smaller and I'm thinking is this the problem?

I've tried it with both Eco on and off and haven't noticed a difference.

Do you think it will improve with time?

How many miles do you go before you fill up?
Dealing with your issues in turn:

1. Sounds like your commute is mostly at reasonable speed. Is there much stop-start or waiting at lights? Both of these will kill consumption.

2. Fuel warning usually comes on at 7 litres, but you have to check this for yourself. Fill up immediately after the light comes on and check the specifications for your car (Total - Fill = Reserve). Your estimate will only be accurate to within 1 litre, so be careful. When the estimated distance to empty gets low, "---" indicates that KIA doesn't want to be responsible for misleading you.

3. Elantra tank probably bigger? Obviously that might have something to do with it.

4. ECO doesn't do much and is probably best avoided with a new engine.

5. Only a very slight improvement with time is to be expected. 1 or 2 MPG.

6. Miles per fill-up is variable.

I'd recommend keeping records of fuel added vs. distance. Take a note of the fuel gauge before each fill-up to get a good idea of what each division of the gauge represents. At a bare minimum, find out what "half full" means as well as litres remaining at the warning.

Also I recommend doing a test under "ideal" conditions. e.g. Freeway at 100 km/h (about 60 MPH). Fuel consumption under those conditions will give you a benchmark.

From your handle, I would guess that you are a young lady. No criticism, but women commonly have difficulties with fuel consumption calculations.

·
Registered
2013 Rio Si Auto
9 Posts
355.0 34.00 9.6 1.350 90%
350.0 35.00 10.0 1.440 100%
440.0 36.00 8.2 1.590 50%
410.1 36.00 8.8 1.490 50%
350.0 36.00 10.3 1.590 100%

That's all in "km".
Rio's fuel usage is excellent if you drive on the highway/freeways often,
however in urban driving it's basically averaging 10L/100km for me.
Maybe it'll get better but probably only by 0.5L or something around there...eventually.

I'm more concerned with the looseness of the rear wheels on cornering at even mild speeds.

·
Registered
13 Rio 5 EX Auto & 05 Crysler T&C & 52 Ford 8N
45 Posts
Welcome aboard MissFrosty1 !

Guess what - you'll never get the same mpg figures as the salesman, or Mr Kia, told you! In fact - if you bought before Nov '12 (or thereabouts) it was found that Kia had made a mistake in their EPA mileage tests and they were "done" for false advertizing and are actually giving $$ cash money back to those of us who were duped by those false adverts! :eek:

This is a great forum - worldwide input - from some very knowledgeable people! and like any forum the input might get a little testy, but basically everybody is very friendly and means well.

btw the conversion is multiply the Canadians & Aussies K/L figures by 2.352 to get US mpg. (confirmation anyone?)

But to your mileage question. The bottom line - mpg is linked directly to the weight of your right foot and the driving conditions - hills/flat, empty/rush-hour. So near impossible to compare individual experiences.

I've found the 'Range' indicator to go to --- at about 30 miles to empty - I much prefer my Chrysler that counts down all the way (about 12 is as low as I've gone - and that was stupidity).

In probably too simplistic terms - the ECO affects the computer that controls the gear-shifts. With ECO on the car behaves like it is being driven by a little old lady on the way to church on Sunday down a very flat road. ECO off and you'll get more acceleration and responsiveness to right pedal. Now - if you are a little old lady and the road is flat - then ECO will give you better mpg than ECO off . . . but if you have some red blood in you and there's some hills and traffic then ECO might well turn in lower mpg! Personally I use a mixture - usually ECO on, but when in traffic, or merging on to freeway - then ECO off.

Around town, shopping trips etc . . I'll get about 29 mpg. Last week I had to go fairly flat interstate for 5hr at 68 mph on cruise control - and got 40+ mpg

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
btw the conversion is multiply the Canadians & Aussies K/L figures by 2.352 to get US mpg. (confirmation anyone?)
That would not be correct. While with mpg the higher the better the l/100km is the lower the better. Almost nobody internationally goes with km/l.

If you want to convert from l/100km you would need the following

62.15 / ("l/100km" / 3.78) = mpg

e.g.

62.15 / (6 / 3.78) = 39.15 mpg

That is for US gallon, imperial gallons would be different again.

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
I'm about to put my forth tank. The first 3 were with ECO ON and this one is with ECO OFF.
Trip computer is showing 7.4l/100. Probably fill up tonight.

Here is my fuelly.com page ......

Black Rio 5 (Kia Rio5) | Fuelly

avg 7.5 l / 100 ---or--- 31.3 US mpg ---or--- 37.6 UK mpg.
I have to cross a bridge to go back and forth from work so get stuck taking 10-20 minutes getting across while only doing 2 kms....
My commute is about 20 kms each way from just out of town. Speed limits are 70 - 80 kms/hr down to 50 km / hr in some spots in town. I am lucky to show more than 50km/hr average speed according to trip computer so definitely not ideal conditions for awesome mileage. I am happy with it and still half my GMC Jimmy and I was running AC about 50% of the time.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
13 Rio 5 EX Auto & 05 Crysler T&C & 52 Ford 8N
45 Posts
My Bad! Thanks for the correction LA-Foal.
I had totally missed the inversion of <distance> per <volume> to <volume> per <distance>.
For the mathematically challenged there's an app for that at - http://calculator-converter.com/l_100km_mpg_convert_mpg_to_l_per_100_km.php

I still like to view my gas consumption in terms of the dollars & cents showing up on my credit card - and since buying the Rio - that has gone down significantly.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
No problem. To make things more complicated, I believe in Canada sometimes imperial gallons are used and are mentioned in this forum.

To MissFrosty1, you can't really compare the range of a gas fill with cars when the size of the tank is different. At the end the mpg is what gives you the correct comparison between your old and new car. Also, my first gas fill in February 2012 (cold weather makes mpg worse) was a 28mpg. Now with 17,000 miles on the odometer I get around 37mpg on average so it improved quite a bit.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hi, here's a hot topic. To me anyway. I had the same disappointment when I drove my Rio EX Sedan (like yours). Couldn't get better than 7-10L/100km. Everybody around was telling me to wait till 10,000km+ and the mileage would drop. I've put 13,000 know on my Rio and here what I can say. The mileage will never be formidable even with the Kia adjustment. This car has to be driven very and I mean very grandma style to yield it's best mileage. True I get better mileage now: 5.7L/100km on highway and around 7.2L/100km city if not too much stuck in traffic and not too many red lights. This car is at its best when you drive it slowly (90km), put the brakes very gently, close all the windows, AC not too often and don't load it will "passengers and luggage". That's the plain truth. Otherwise, it's a fantastic small car. This GDI engine can put a Toyota's to shame when it comes to quietness and it's peppy alright. Beautiful design in and out, comfortable, affordable and fully loaded. As for the Eco, the economy from having it on can be substantial if you accept the fact that the engine will be 25% less responsive (but also 25% more silent at start up), you don't try to compensate by depressing the pedal. All that understood, you cannot be disappointed by the Rio. If you drive it like Mazda 3 or a Civic, then the fuel economy is gone. And I mean gone.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Forte5 SX, 2017 KIA Sportage EX Lux, 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6
77 Posts
Nice graph Helmet. Using the trip computer is only a relative figure... but it's nice to see how it compares to real-world calculations.
Here's my Fuelly - Rex (Kia Rio5) | Fuelly
Only filled up twice so far, driving about 60% highway (35km each way to work on the 401) - but the rest is Toronto rush-hour, so not pleasant. I'm still babying it at least till 2000kms, but not 'givin it' till 5000. So far my average (on 2 tanks) is 6.9l/100km (34mpg-US)(40.9mpg-UK).
Haven't really gone on any road trips yet, so can't say what my true highway economy is.
Once you go to -- you've got about 50kms/30miles before you're drained and calling CAA/AAA (KIA Roadside?).

Coming from an 03 Elantra - yes, the tank is smaller (by about 10L/2.5gal). I used to average 600kms/tank(370miles) like you.. so a slight adjustment to the re-fueling schedule will be needed. But that said, I'm liking the already lower fuel consumption.. as I averaged 7.8-8.4l/100kms(28-30mpg) before, but could still pull a 34mpg trip outta my hat if I wanted to... but where's the fun in that?

Easy conversions - go to Google.com - type Litres to Gallons
In the area below, you can then choose Fuel Consumption, select your values and voila! Thank you Google.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I hope the OP makes some sense of all this. Bottom line, you can't do much about fuel consumption, and driving ultra-slow will only lead to grief.

I don't like litres/100 km as a fuel consumption unit; km/litre is the immediate calculation you can do by mental arithmetic and a further mental effort jumps you to MPG if that is your desire. I grew up using MPG, and I usually convert to that obsolete unit, despite using the metric system in my working life for about 50 years.

By any standard, litres/100 km is an odd-ball unit, but it seems to be commonly used. Probably dreamt up by non-drivers, like a lot of auto stuff.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
409 Posts
I hope the OP makes some sense of all this. Bottom line, you can't do much about fuel consumption, and driving ultra-slow will only lead to grief.

I don't like litres/100 km as a fuel consumption unit; km/litre is the immediate calculation you can do by mental arithmetic and a further jumps gets you MPG if that is your desire. I grew up using MPG, and I usually convert to that obsolete unit, despite using the metric system in my working life for about 50 years.

By any standard, litres/100 km is an odd-ball unit, but it seems to be commonly used. Probably dreamt up by non-drivers, like a lot of auto stuff.
ya... it isn't as easily convertible to the very common mpg, but in Canada it is pretty much the standard... so it is what most of us use. All the cars are rated in l/100km at the dealers, however sometimes they use imperial mpg just to keep people confused.... since it isn't exactly the same as the mpg that the United States use...

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Keeping to litres/100 km is one way of avoiding confusion, as the forum is somewhat global.

While killing time in the shopping centre, I flicked my display over to litres/100 km and am gradually training myself. (I don't think I'll bother with Gallons/100 Miles. -Shows you how odd these inverted units really are!)

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
If we all use fuelly.com we can see all kinds of stats with no confusion :)
Black Rio 5 (Kia Rio5) | Fuelly

Filled 4th tank last night. 458km (285miles). ECO OFF. Trip computer showed 7.4L/100 and fuelly shows 7.5L/100 = US 31.3 = 37.6 UK mpg = 13.3 km / L

So I actually had an improvement running ECO OFF this tank from last tank but I am pretty sure had less overall traffic and AC than last tank. Looking like not much difference in ECO mode for my typical commute.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio
85 Posts
I have actually been getting the original EPA numbers of 30/40 with 33 combined after i installed cruise control

Get about 330-360 miles to a tank but i also top off

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I could live with numbers like that! Questions for you:
What do you have your CC set at?
Also do you have Eco on or off?
How long have you had the car now, or how long did you have it before seeing mileage like that?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio
85 Posts
I usually keep it set at 65-75mph mostly 75. I leave eco on about 75% of the time only turn it off if im in the need of a little more power.

I have had my rio since June 18 of 2012 and almost 30,000 miles. I did oil changes every 4,000 miles and used fuel injector cleaner twice now.

When the car was new i would get 27MPG then a month later i would get 29MPG combined and after 3months of owning the car i started to see about 30mpg combined for every tank of gas.Once i had CC installed i instantly started to see the original EPA numbers. I dont know why everyone can't hit those numbers i don't even try. Im usually rough on the accelerator and love challenging ford fiestas and Chevy sonics to races

1 - 20 of 24 Posts