Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back someone posted a question about how many horns does the 2012 RIO have. Some said one, others said two. The answer is both.

Regardless of having one or two horns, only one horn blows when you hit the horn button. That horn is in front of the radiator. The other horn, mounted near the firewall on the passenger side is for the remote door lock alarm. If you hit the door close button on your remote twice, the alarm horn will beep once. The alarm horn will sound intermittently if, for a few seconds, you hold the alarm button on the remote. It also sounds if the alarm is compromised.

The answer is if your car has a remote door opener/alarm, you have two horns. If you don’t have an alarm, you have one horn.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got rid of the OE horns. I replaced the horn horn with a compact air horn. I replaced the alarm horn with a 12 volt minature siren I purchased at radio shack.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just look on ebay. I paid $25. Ther are threaded holes in the fender well, and the air horn mounts perfectly with one bolt in the threaded hole.

·
Registered
2012 Rio LX 2012 Soul+ 2.o
61 Posts
Far out, is it loud? BTW, I have always thought cars should have 2 horns. An informational (chirp chirp) and a don't hit me (Hoooooonk!!!). Perhaps the loud one remains on the wheel and the other less emergency horn is a separate button.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
what happened to your location name, now it shows ::1??????????

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Lol, geek joke. Today was IPv6 Launch Day. ::1 is the equivalent for the IPv4 127.0.0.1 IP address which means home... heh... :rolleyes::eek:
the internet is no place for geeks!

was the bosch unit a simple swap over? the single tone clown-car horn on my SLS is embarrassing

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
136 Posts
the internet is no place for geeks!

was the bosch unit a simple swap over? the single tone clown-car horn on my SLS is embarrassing
I took my time to swap the horn. The rio has a single tone horn that plugs in and out using a special connector. Since I didn't want to cut the wire I used electrical tape to fix two wires to this connector which then I connected to a relay to power the two cr8 horns. The car needs to be lifted so you can remove the under cover and access the horn location. The whole process took about an hour to complete.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
136 Posts
No prob. I swapped the horn after about a week of having the car. Couldn't take it any longer. My previous car was a gas guzzling 2000 Chevy blazer s10. So I was used to a "honk" kind of horn...

·
Registered
9 Posts
how do I replace the front horn. I bought a horn for $15 at AutoZone but has two terminals but the car plug is all in one. Do I just plug the one to any terminal ant the other to ground?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
One of the wires to the original horn is ground. I actually hack-sawed the plug off the original horn, soldered two wire to the back of the plug, used shrink tubing, and ran the wires to the new horn. One horn is not going to be much of an inprovement over the old horn. You need a hi and low tone horn to make good noise. I took the easy way out and installed a compact air horn.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts