Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seats in my 2013 Kia Rio Sedan are not very comfortable. I would like more cushion, lumbar and arm rests. I would really like to add leather seats. Any suggestion how to make the seats more comfortable?

·
Registered
'15 SX, '19 Stinger GT2 AWD
1,103 Posts
Speak to an upholsterer?
Buy leather seats from another vehicle (wrecked, perhaps?)

How handy are you?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I am a female. My adult son and I would have to figure that out.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
315 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Modifying the existing seat cushions will cost a lot of money, "probably not" result in a satisfactory resolution, and create issues both going forward and then at resale time. In some cases, they cannot even be done......for example.......if your car has weight sensors in the bottom seat cushion for airbags (many do), or side airbags in the seat back, or heated seat wiring sewn into the cushion from the manufacturer, a lot of upholstery shops won't touch it for legal liability reasons.

If you want more cushioning and lumbar, foam can be added (subject to the above), but, it will usually take more than one visit to the upholstery shop until they get it right for you. Armrests attached to the seat back are not going to happen.......forget about that.

Why do I say this ? I've sold cars for over two decades, and had customers do it before several times. The results never work 100% of the time.

*****DO NOT PURCHASE ENTIRE SEATS FROM ANY WRECKED VEHICLE*****

Depending on the type and severity of the accident the design limitations of the seat frame which is a load bearing member could have been exceeded. Seat cushions and upholstery swaps are fine, but don't buy the entire assembled seat and install it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for your knowledge and honesty! How about some comfy seat covers? Will those interfere with the air bag function?

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
315 Posts
kepas34 said:
Thank you very much for your knowledge and honesty! How about some comfy seat covers? Will those interfere with the air bag function?
All depends. If your car has side impact airbags that exit from the actual side panel of the seat back, not from the front of the seat bolster towards the dash, but directly from the side panel towards the door itself, I'd look at getting genuine sheepskin seat "throws" which do not pull over the seat back, but lay on top of the seat, which means it would not inhibit the side airbag function.

Click on the attached pic for reference, and expect to pay $3-400 for the real thing.

Do not buy fake sheepskin. Real sheepskin is cool in summer, and warm in winter, deep in texture and comfy, and wears forever. They don't skin the sheep either, they shave them and put the wool on a material patterned to fit the seat.

Of course, you haven't said specifically what your "comfort" problem is. More info might help. Is your car second hand and miled out and the seat cushion is just worn from the previous owner for example ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought my car brand new in 2013. I have cloth seats. No they're not worn out. I'm not overweight. They are just not very comfortable. They are very flat and hard. They don't have a lot of cushion and the headrest pushes against my head actually making a dent in the back of my hair. It's just not that comfortable of a seat.

QUOTE=Rio Taxi;1854081]
kepas34 said:
All depends. If your car has side impact airbags that exit from the actual side panel of the seat back, not from the front of the seat bolster towards the dash, but directly from the side panel towards the door itself, I'd look at getting genuine sheepskin seat "throws" which do not pull over the seat back, but lay on top of the seat, which means it would not inhibit the side airbag function.

Click on the attached pic for reference, and expect to pay $3-400 for the real thing.

Do not buy fake sheepskin. Real sheepskin is cool in summer, and warm in winter, deep in texture and comfy, and wears forever. They don't skin the sheep either, they shave them and put the wool on a material patterned to fit the seat.

Of course, you haven't said specifically what your "comfort" problem is. More info might help. Is your car second hand and miled out and the seat cushion is just worn from the previous owner for example ?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
315 Posts
Real sheepskins may be the answer. They really are delicious to sit in.

They will actually lift you up about 1/2" away from the seat surface and the headrest, due to their depth. Especially if you're smaller and lighter in structure. It may be one answer, short of buying another car obviously. Good luck.

·
Registered
2012 Rio
1 Posts
Real sheepskins may be the answer. They really are delicious to sit in.

They will actually lift you up about 1/2" away from the seat surface and the headrest, due to their depth. Especially if you're smaller and lighter in structure. It may be one answer, short of buying another car obviously. Good luck.
I have the same problem with my 2012 Rio SX. Looking at the seat, where the back rest meets the seat cushion you can see the metal structure through the "Leather" very little padding if any.

When I sit in the seat that metal hits right on my tail bone.

I've taken one of my wifes "yoga mats" and slowly cutting it to fit. Now trying to work out how to hold it in place. The mat is maybe 1/4" thick. when it is cold, it is firm enough to stay in place until I'm seated. Foam loses some of its "body" the warmer it gets so if I get out to run an errand its like a wet noodle when I return. And no, its not pretty but functional.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2013 auto
145 Posts
The seats in my 2013 Kia Rio Sedan are not very comfortable. I would like more cushion, lumbar and arm rests. I would really like to add leather seats. Any suggestion how to make the seats more comfortable?
I put leather Forte seats in my 2013 rio, much better seats, was a bit of work but do-able. The rio seats are thin and flat. The back seats was a pain becazuse the 60/40 split is switched

1 - 11 of 11 Posts