Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my deal on a 2014 Canadian SX one month ago. It was not in stock but supposely already on the way to the dealer. Still waiting... While the road trip between the Georgia Kia plant and the dealer is 22 hours.

How long did you have to wait for yours if not in stock ?

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
that sucks. Luckily here in Chicagoland I only had to wait a few days for them to make a trade with a local dealer to grab the one I wanted.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
I had wanted a Titanium SX but was told would be a factory order wait of 3 months. Other dealers had some white and black ones that they might be able to get but wasn't really keen on either colour. The dealer had plated a silver one for his use a week before I got to the dealer. Finally negotiated to buy that one.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was told 8 weeks if ordering one. My titanium SXL 5-Seater AWD was ordered 4/9/13. It now has a delivery date of 5/26/13 (Denver, CO). That'll be about 7 weeks....fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news : I will finally get mine (2014 Canadian Sorento SX V6 AWD White 5 passengers) on tuesday after 1 month closing the deal !

I will be able to reply more than asking now !

·
Registered
559 Posts
Good news for you. Had not realized you had ordered white. When I was looking into a month ago, was told that a number of dealers had them in stock and would be able to arrange to get one of them rather than factory order "right away".
We were told that black or white were available but no titanium that we wanted as first choice; ended up with silver one that the dealer had just taken delivery of.
Was happy that silver was a colour choice as it isn't in the U.S. SXL that the Cdn SX is close to the equivalent of save for the Nappa leather.
I note that the new Cadenza will have a nappa leather option in Canada along with some other options Sorentos have in other countries but not in North America such as adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news for you. Had not realized you had ordered white. When I was looking into a month ago, was told that a number of dealers had them in stock and would be able to arrange to get one of them rather than factory order "right away".
We were told that black or white were available but no titanium that we wanted as first choice; ended up with silver one that the dealer had just taken delivery of.
Was happy that silver was a colour choice as it isn't in the U.S. SXL that the Cdn SX is close to the equivalent of save for the Nappa leather.
I note that the new Cadenza will have a nappa leather option in Canada along with some other options Sorentos have in other countries but not in North America such as adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning.
Titanium would have been my first choice like my 2011 Sorento but I would have to wait several months that's why I chose white.

For sure, next year model of Sorento (or next generation) will probably include new Cadenza features.

By the way, what is nappa leather exactly ?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I gather Nappa is a high(er) quality leather than the usual leather.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

"Nappa leather or Napa leather is a full-grain leather, typically dyed, made from unsplit kid-, lamb- or sheep-skin by tanning with salts of chromium or aluminium sulfate, and noted for softness and durability. It is often used in high-quality leather products such as high-end furniture and vehicle"

Oh and when dealer gets your car, be sure to check that he has the SD card for the NAV system and the NAV System manual which is separate from the Owners manual.

Manuals come in two shrinkwrapped plastic bags, each bag have separate English and French versions.

You'll know a lot more about your SX than I knew about mine on delivery.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gather Nappa is a high(er) quality leather than the usual leather.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

"Nappa leather or Napa leather is a full-grain leather, typically dyed, made from unsplit kid-, lamb- or sheep-skin by tanning with salts of chromium or aluminium sulfate, and noted for softness and durability. It is often used in high-quality leather products such as high-end furniture and vehicle"

Oh and when dealer gets your car, be sure to check that he has the SD card for the NAV system and the NAV System manual which is separate from the Owners manual.

Manuals come in two shrinkwrapped plastic bags, each bag have separate English and French versions.

You'll know a lot more about your SX than I knew about mine on delivery.
Thanks for all your replies to many of my numerous questions and for your advices.

Yes, I prepared a checklist for delivery, SD card and nav system manual (in French) are some of the items in this list.

Another question, do manuals come with a leather cover with Sorento written on it like my 2011 ? I ask this question since I would keep it before leaving my trade in.

I am curious to try voice recongnition command in French !

·
Registered
559 Posts
There is a black soft cover; not sure whether leather or not.
Embossed, says KIA and KIA Motors on it (in black, can barely see the letters). There is a white barcode sticker where among other letters are SORENTO 2014. Includes a Warranty manual

You also get a blackbound white notebook with pen.

Re Voice commands, can't recall or find where I saw it (Found it, see end of this note), but believe is English only currently. However checked the French language manual and see all the "commands" are in French so guessing that it is coming but when ??. Voice recognition only accepts the voice commands in the manual.

When first turn on the Nav, 1st screen has a language icon. Press it and have choices of English, French, Spanish and an asian language (Believe Korean). Presume that is for navigating around and use of the NAV system.

Found the reference in the Kia Canada site (English; do they have a French language ??). Under Models overview for the Sorento, lists features for each model. The SX lists the "8" multimedia Interface with Navigation". There is a small "3" footnote to the right. The footnote reads:

"With Navigation System, the Bluetooth® and navigation technology only recoginizes English voice prompts".

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX
56 Posts
My local (Ocala, FL) dealer says he cannot order a Sorento. He can only sell what they send him. I think he is full of baloney. I know, a car dealer who is full of it, who could have seen that coming!!

I have been waiting for 4+ months for a Remington Red OR Wave Blue EX. I am ready to go to another brand. Ford..BMW.. and others will build any car you want and deliver in 6-8 weeks. All I want is an EX and you would think it is a hand built exotic, one off vehicle. I just cannot understand why Kia would not have a program to order a car.

·
Registered
559 Posts
When I was looking, was told a factory order could take 3 months; was reluctant to test that; was able to get one the dealer had though not my 1st color choice.

·
Registered
427 Posts
They do have a program. I went to a dealer, told them what I wanted, and they ordered it. It's just not as common with Kia as it is with other brands. Especially with long option lists (which the Kia's don't have). I could tell that my dealer didn't have much experience with customer orders, but they still had no problem doing it. I would suggest going to another dealer, even if it's not very local.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX
56 Posts
They do have a program. I went to a dealer, told them what I wanted, and they ordered it. It's just not as common with Kia as it is with other brands. Especially with long option lists (which the Kia's don't have). I could tell that my dealer didn't have much experience with customer orders, but they still had no problem doing it. I would suggest going to another dealer, even if it's not very local.
I'll get on the phone this week and call around. I am in no rush so if it takes a few months, its no problem. I just would have preferred to buy locally, but the dealer is worthless, will not even try to place an order for a vehicle that I am willing to wait for, and pay cash..

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hey goose38; assume you are picking up your 2014 sorento today. Be sure to let us have your initial impressions and how compares to your 2011 that you traded in for the 2014.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey goose38; assume you are picking up your 2014 sorento today. Be sure to let us have your initial impressions and how compares to your 2011 that you traded in for the 2014.
Finally got it ! Took long : more than one month for delivery and two hours today to pick it up.

White color very classy (flashy).

First drawback : 182 km at the gauge, made a move from one dealer to another by the road. Except this one, all the other items of my delivery check list were ok. SD card and manual for navigation system were in the car.

Just aound 100km driven. Less powerful than the old V6 when starting. Great improvments in the shock (no more harsh jump) and breaking (much more reactive and powerful) behavior.

Like the extra features of the SX compared to my previous 2011 EX. Escpecially, blind spot detection and memory seat. Great feelings of space ad light with the panoramic sunroof.

Navigation/radio system is top quality and much more modern than I expected, espcially due to touch screen control. Use Englush interface since French voice recognition does not work yet.

Map version seems to be 2012 based on the sticker of the SD card package. Streets around my home that are pretty new and hardly available on Google maps are all here. Full of options in the navigation system.

Radio interface is neat with radio name, artworks and detailed song info with my iPod, steering wheel control and song info with my iPhone via bluetooth (but no artwork).

One big deception : if you have detailed look inside of the front side of the front doors, you see some openings in the inner body with some black insulatuon material in it ! Makes no sense with all water, mud, dust, snow, salt that can go into it and make some damages : rust, moisture, etc. Should think about a possible correction.

As well, electric trunk opener is pretty slow and behave stranegly when manuplate by hand.

More to come.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Power liftgate certainly slower than a non power one. Assume this is in part a matter of safety so that if hits someone; not too hard before reversing. It its harder coming down than going up; consequence of gravity.
I have tried it letting the gate hit me to see what it takes to reverse.
When try to manually operate, seem to feel the resistance of the effect of it being powered; find cannot close much faster than in power mode. Generally don't even try.

Your perspective is interesting in comparison to a 2011 model of the same car, mine is to a 2009 Toyota RAV4.

Memory seat was high on my list of wanted options as am a foot taller than my wife. Was not able to get that on the RAV4.
As an option it is making now into more cars; some including the new cadenza, including the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX
56 Posts
To make long story short...I took your advice and called a dealer about 60 miles from my home. I told him what I wanted (Wave Blue EX..no packages). He said.(this is for real)." I have that exact car being unloaded as we speak. Its the 1st Wave Blue we have gotten". I went there this morning...got a fair deal...and it is now in my garage. Sometimes it just works out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts