Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now have 16K miles on the car and would like to rid it of the Hankook tires - plenty of tread left, just never liked the handling. In the process of tire shopping, I stopped in at Costco and was told that they require rebuilding the TPMS sensors. This is news to me, the ones in our Honda were six years old when we sold it and still working just fine. It's not a huge expense, $8 per wheel but feel like just one one nickel and dime charge on a car that's only 16 months old. Several other tire shops recommended it but no one else required it and the manager at Discount Tire was the only one who said it would be very premature to rebuild them now to give it another 3-4 years before worrying about it.

Anyone have some real world experience with longevity of the Kia system?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
777 Posts
They're still going strong in my Mustang. I took delivery of it in May 2011. The lithium ion batteries are good for 5-10 years with 6 being the average.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
293 Posts
The rebuild is just a $1 rubber washer or two. No battery. Major profit item.
My 4Runner's tpms sensor batteries were all going strong still when I sold it after 14 years ownership.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
68 Posts
The rebuild is just a $1 rubber washer or two. No battery. Major profit item.
My 4Runner's tpms sensor batteries were all going strong still when I sold it after 14 years ownership.
Perhaps the charge was for replacing the rubber valve stem portion of the sensor?Not a bad idea when replacing tires

·
Registered
2019 Sorento AWD LX V6
35 Posts
Had new tires put on my 2016 Cruze this summer at an independent tire store. I asked them to replace the rubber gaskets on the TPMS stems. The cost was $3 per tire, if I remember correctly. The sensors themselves don't wear out, but the batteries inside deplete eventually. The sensors are sealed, so when the batteries wear out, the entire sensor must be replaced. Rock Auto has VDO sensors for your Sorento for about $30 each. Apparently only Kia & Hyundai use this type sensor. The "rebuild" kits are about $1.

The Cruze has rubber valve stems, and my Sorento has metal vale stems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts