Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Spec5 Kia was gracious enough to endow our cars with Performance All season tires. I think they were mistaken when they did this. I realize that most people would much rather have all seasons than just summer but I expected them to last quite a lot longer than they did. I have about 3000 miles left on the stock set that came with my car. I have had some problems with them getting low as well. I don't plan on replacing them with the same tires. They are too expensive considering the "performance" and amount of tread life you really get. I plan on putting Hancook RS-212's or Falken's in the stock size. I don't drive where it's cold enough to need an all season tire so what's the point? I did one autocross and a couple of 1/4 mile runs and then normal driving. I have 17,000+ miles on them.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
my proxies lasted a mere 15... feel happy you got 17.. Not what came with car but prxies I hate now.
I have the kumho escta supra 712s on my rims now. THey survived 10K with at least 80% left. This is on my 89 prelude which who knows when the last alignment had been done. Got a sick deal on the 205/40/17s (248 shipped). SO I went with them. Great tire, great traction. Also look great.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I have 18K miles on my RS-A's. I have about 6K miles left on them. I wasnt going to go with the same tires but a buddy of mine had a set of them with 1K miles on them and he sold me the set for 100 bucks. I just couldnt pass that deal up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have about 21k miles on my RS-A's. I think I still have about another 10k miles left on them. I just rotated them about 2 weeks ago. I move them front to back and the shimmy was fixed before the previous rotation. When I rotated them last time, the shimmy appeared again. So, I was hoping that putting them back to their previous, non-shimmy location would bring shimmy free driving. I was wrong, the shimmy is the same.

I've been thinking it was the tires all along causing the shimmy, but I guess not. The shimmy is really starting to get to me. I drove my '82 Fiat this weekend and it feels so solid on the highway compared to the Kia. Kia should be embarrassed that a 25 year old car drives better than a 2 year old Spectra.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
do these tires that have a shimmey have a bubble or something??

·
Registered
230 Posts
do these tires that have a shimmey have a bubble or something??
No bubbles, they look perfect. Goodyear replaced one when the car was new and rebalanced all of them. The shimmy was better, but not completely gone.

I think there is a design flaw in the front end that causes this problem. It is too widespread and changing wheels/tires usually does not get rid of it. I'm just going to move on to another car in a year or so, if new tires does not solve the problem for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not too freakin long!

I replaced those POS tires @ 13k.
put on Kumho Escta ASX and they didnt fare much better, only got ~15k out of them, but because they were a 40k warranty on them, I got the next set at a greatly reduced rate.

It now has Yokohama AK520 on there. (Discount tire, special model). just rolled 37k, and they are fairing okay.

Have another issue, but will make a new thread for that.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
tirerack.com
I got my kumho escta supra 712s 205/40/17 for 248.00 shipped...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just bought my tires the other day from Tires-easy.com. They are Riken Raptors in 205/50 16. They sell them here too but there was a two week wait to order them so I got them online. They are a sister company of Michelin. 272 shipped. They are a 300 wear AA traction tire. A friend of mine here has them on his Mazda3 that's pretty souped up and he likes them. He says he has a hard time getting them to break traction. They should fare much better than the RS-A's.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Glad to hear you like them. I just took my RS-A's off my Spectra for the winter and got to really looking at them the other day. I now have 19K miles on them and it appears I will be able to go all of next summer on them. By the end of next summer I will have about 30K on them and they will be done.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a track day that did them in a little early. 5 trips around the autocross course and about 7 1.4 mile runs in one day. I got almost 18000 out of mine. The new tires should far a lot longer since in less than a month I will be in Iraq for 15 months while my car sits and gets driven once a week. I'm getting some Konig Feathers in 16X7 when I get back. When I had those chrome 17's on my car I lost a lot of gas mileage so I'm sticking with 16's and going a little wider to push the rims out a little more.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got almost 50,000 miles out of mine. I am already on my third set of tires. The Kumho's I got 38k out of. My new Pirelli's are tread rated at 85,000 miles so. we'll see how long those last.

I've got 92k on the 2005 Kia Spectra btw.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got almost 50,000 miles out of mine. I am already on my third set of tires. The Kumho's I got 38k out of. My new Pirelli's are tread rated at 85,000 miles so. we'll see how long those last.

I've got 92k on the 2005 Kia Spectra btw.
50k from the RSA's is impressive. Obviously, you do a lot of highway driving. How is the paint holding up after 92k? Have you had the shimmy problem and if so, has changing tires helped?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts