Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like to ask if anyone knows how fine of a particle does the Kia oil filter filters. By the way I own a Kia Soul LX 2020 and use Purolator One oil filter which filters down to 5 microns.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
754 Posts
Where did you get that number from?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purolator ONE Engine Oil Filter PL14459: Advance Auto Parts
  • FITMENT DETAILS
    2020 Kia Soul LX (2.0L 1999CC L4 FI VIN: U)
    • Synthetic Oil Application. Premium filter recommended
  • SPECIFICATIONS
    Filter Bypass Relief Valve:Yes
    Gasket Inside Diameter:2.255 in
    Gasket Outside Diameter:2.491 in
    Height:2.95 in
    Maximum Burst Pressure:300 PSI
    Micron Rating:>5 mc
    Relief Valve Opening Pressure:12-18 PSI
    Spin On:Yes
    Thread Size:M20X1.5

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm skeptical, what does the manufacturer say? What filtration efficiency at that micron rating?

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
The provided link states 99%
I've been using the Fram Toughguard in 2021. Use it for two OCIs (3.5k X 2) = 7K. The Fram TG is rated for 15K.

Personally, I avoid the highest efficiency / lowest microns filters out there... example: the Fram Ultra, rated to 20K.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,753 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
99% at 5mc seems to be too high to be true.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento LX 2.4GDI Dark Cherry
7 Posts
KIA OE filters are your best bang for buck and one of the best out there. I see no reason to not use the KIA filter. No advantage to using another filter and paying more for it.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX w/EX tech package
4,690 Posts
Your Kia oil filter is $6.58 from any Kia dealership. 26300-35505 is the part#.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
875 Posts
Look at Wix, a filter manufacture unlike a lot of others out there. You can email them for detials not published if you wish. Kia filter are almost $20 here. Thats outrages for any filter and not even spin on for my engine which is less to manufacture. You have to change the filter without a doubt but not such that there is restriction forcing pressure higher and flow lower.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you know how fine does the filter, filters?
Good enough that the manufacturer trust it to properly filter oil for at least 100k miles on their dime if it doesn't. That's good enough for me. Don't get too obsessed with the micron rating. It's over hyped, often not true and misleading. Just stick with the filter that was literally made for your vehicle and you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good enough that the manufacturer trust it to properly filter oil for at least 100k miles on their dime if it doesn't. That's good enough for me. Don't get too obsessed with the micron rating. It's over hyped, often not true and misleading. Just stick with the filter that was literally made for your vehicle and you have nothing to worry about.
Ok what type of oil besides using 5w-20 for a 2020 soul LX?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok what type of oil besides using 5w-20 for a 2020 soul LX?
Once again don't try to redesign the wheel. Use what the manufacturer recommends. That's what the motor was designed to use and run the longest and most efficient with. Unless you're smarter than the engineers at KIA, follow their advice. Any good quality oil that is SN/SN+ rated will be more than sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX w/EX tech package
4,690 Posts
Look at Wix, a filter manufacture unlike a lot of others out there. You can email them for detials not published if you wish. Kia filter are almost $20 here. Thats outrages for any filter and not even spin on for my engine which is less to manufacture. You have to change the filter without a doubt but not such that there is restriction forcing pressure higher and flow lower.
You guys up north are getting robbed! LOL

Reactions: billybob70

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
364 Posts
I can't answer your question, but the folks over on Bob Is The Oil Guy really like the Kia/Hyundai oil filters. There are some filter tear-downs of these filters and folks seem impressed with them.

Personally, even if I did my own oil changes, I would use the Kia filter if under warranty. The reviews on them are good and some peace of mind if you have an engine issue is worth it to me.

Reactions: billybob70

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte LXS (2.0 MPI Nu engine)
2 Posts
The Kia OEM filters are very high quality (made by MANN+HUMMEL, I think) and reasonably priced here in the Mid-Atlantic region. The only other filters I would consider are the higher end WIX or NAPA filters, which I think are also made by the same manufacturer. Even if the OEM filters cost a little more, I would still buy them-a few dollars difference over the course of 5,000 to 7,500 miles is minimal. I have a 2020 Forte with the 2.0 Nu engine. One OEM oil filter, 4.5 gal of Valvoline full synthetic, set and forget...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts