Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see what sort of speeds people can get out of their Picanto's? My little 1.0 gs has hit 103mph :p (On the flat with bit of a run up) wondered what other people were managing? Apart from the 1.1 do you think they may consider fitting bigger engines? Is their a user manual such as Haynes or something available yet or something that covers the engine?

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
12 Posts
With my 1.0 I managed to speed up to 140 km/h, but I didn't test how much fast it can go. My guess is around 150 km/h, but I don't need that kind of speed, mostly because I don't like fast driving and in that case the fuel consumption is much higher.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hey,

When I just got my Picanto, I hit 150 km/h without any efforts. I am very impressed of the low noise and high stability of the car, taking its size and quite simple suspension in consideration.

Yesterday, I tried to hit nearly 175 km/h on the clock racing with a Toyota Yaris. I believe ground speed was appr. 160 km/h. This is true to the figures from the manufacturer (as far as I recall 154 km/h for the 1.1) :57:

Most cars I've had can perform higher top speeds than described by the manufacturer. E.g. my wife's Skoda Fabia 1.2 is told to have a max speed of 160 km/h but I've travelled appr 185 on the clock. :grin:

My old Felicia 1.6 was set to 170 km/h but once I was racing against a VW Polo I hit 195 km/h on the clock! No need to mention that it was redlining in fifth! :innocent:

Anybody having experience with chip replacements for Picanto? Saw a UK-site selling inexpensive tuning chips but I doubt how good they are... ;)

Cheers,
Kneeler

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hi Frishki, :)

Talking about fuel consumption. I read in a Danish car magazine that a motor journalist succeeded running 30 km/litres in a Picanto 1.1.

This was done by not running more than 100 km/h on highway. Never revving up the engine, staying behind slower vehicles on the highway instead of driving "stop and go" all the time.

No need to mention that a/c was not engaged. :p

My own experience is that when travelling a long way by a constant 110 km/h I can maintain about 20 km/litre. When travelling by 130 km/h fuel consumption gets about 16 km/litre. These figures are obtained with a/c constantly running. My car has 11,000 km on the clock.

Cheers,
Kneeler

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hey guys,

Tried this morning to reach 170 km/h on the clock without any efforts. A Volvo was pissing me off so I kinda tried to see how fast my Kia could run. The pedal was not hitting the metal. Thus, I believe that 170+ is achievable in a Picanto 1.1.

Furthermore, I tried cornering a recommended 40 km/h 270 degree corner with 80 km/h on the clock. The tires were not yet squeeking. Quite impressive! :57:

Try and check out the home page www.e39.de. Choose the menu called topten 3 - choose then interval 621 - 630. You will se some guy on post #630 who is clocking 160 km/h in a Picanto.

Next time I am having my digital camera with me, I will see if I can beat the record! :D

Have a nice day,
Kneeler

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
12 Posts
Geez, Kneeler. Don't you think that you're fooling with your life a bit too much? That is impressive, but I'm really not interested in high speed driving. Fortunatelly. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hey Frishki,

You're making a good point. Notice that the household's former cars, a tuned up Felicia with 102 bhp and an Octavia with 150 bhp now are replaced with a Kia 1.1 and a Fabia 1.2-12V.

Before I got a family driving fast was a very bad habit. Luckily age and more control from the Danish high way patrol, has changed my habits into the right direction.

Nevertheless, it's a part of my curiosity to see how fast my cars can go :p

BTW, I could never perform 20+ km/litres if I was always driving like a bat sent out of hell! One speeding ticket was more than enough for me... :innocent:

Cheers,
Kneeler

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
12 Posts
Oh, I know. So far I didn't get a single ticket not for speed driving, parking or anything else. But here, you make a single smallest mistake, like you don't turn on all 4 direction lights when driving in reverse, you can end up with a fat ticket. That's one of my biggest fears, 'cause most of my money is for my month payment for my Picanto. So, I defenetlly can't afford fooling around. :innocent:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
179 Posts
I have mine up to 180km/t an there was littel more to give but I was behind an VW transporter so did´nt have any wind. but with out the VW 170km/t on a good day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts