Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a Sorento for my wife a few days ago. My wife is now complaining that when you are coasting up to a red light, the car downshifts rather abruptly. I drove it today and experienced it. It happens at 40 MPH, 30, and 20. It really slows you down to the point that you need to actually apply a little gas or else you will not make it to the light. It is as if you are applying brakes. So I was just wondering if other Sorentos are like this. Or it could also be because it only has 200 miles on it. I don't know.

We need to take it in to get the mirror replaced soon (on inspection I found a small crack on the side of the outside mirror) and was going to ask them about it but before I look like a fool in person, I just wanted to see what others have experienced.

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
in my experience... it used to do that before... it is actually a gas saving feature.. right now coasting is better... take your sorento long distance driving while breaking it in...

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I also picked up a new Sorento a few days ago and haven't noticed the downshift. I've got an AWD V6. Mine actually seems to coast rather far when approaching a stop, much moreso than the manual trans in the Audi it replaced.

Best,

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out this thread... Not sure if this is what you are experiencing, but this took a lot of getting used to for me for the first few months.

http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/69537-2011-sorento-wont-coast.html
Wow, that's it exactly. I did a few searches but the funny thing is I never searched "coast" which is exactly what I labeled my thread. Thanks for the reference! I'm just glad it is a normal thing and not something wrong with the transmission.

It is weird that it actually saves fuel. When I drove it yesterday, I threw it into neutral to coast more. I guess I'm used to my hybrid where throwing it into neutral actually does save fuel because the engine is completely off.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento, Titanium, 4 cyl, FWD, 6 spd Auto, LX, Convenience Package
12 Posts
The transmission has a somewhat long break in period. At 15,000 miles I feel that ours is like any other automatic transmission. Before it seemed much tighter and wouldn't coast (really did feel like the brakes were applied). The "not coasting" at the beginning isn't a gas saving feature. It isn't a hybrid so it couldn't even be blamed on the regenerative braking. Also, if it were a gas saving feature it would never go away. We would have to use more gas to reach our stop. Regardless, as you drive it you will get better.

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
The transmission learns your driving habits, slight abrupt shifts may be experienced first month or 2, mine did the same, now as smooth as custard, entirely normal.
BTW the learning process can be reset by the dealer, example when you move to an area with entirely different driving conditions to speed up optimal gear shifting, I'm sure the experts can elaborate on the details.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
i always shift to Neutral to coast up to the red light
it's a manual practice i've had since forever as i come from driving standard cars background

so, i've not noticed the downshift by itself

however, i do notice the premature up & down shift, when the gas pedal is not pressed long enough, for it to pick up speed, on those bumper to bumper rides in rush hour

so, on those cases, i just switch to manual handling and keep it at Level 1 instead of Automatic

apparently the computer is not very good at determining the correct gas/speed when it's rolling in traffic between 5km/k to 20 km/h

·
Registered
2011 Titanium Sorento SX - 39,000 miles since 03/2011
106 Posts
i always shift to Neutral to coast up to the red light
it's a manual practice i've had since forever as i come from driving standard cars background

so, i've not noticed the downshift by itself

however, i do notice the premature up & down shift, when the gas pedal is not pressed long enough, for it to pick up speed, on those bumper to bumper rides in rush hour

so, on those cases, i just switch to manual handling and keep it at Level 1 instead of Automatic

apparently the computer is not very good at determining the correct gas/speed when it's rolling in traffic between 5km/k to 20 km/h
I am certainly not an expert in this topic, but the other thread states that doing this might actually reduce overall gas economy. So unless you constantly drive in the manual transmission mode, I am not sure there is benefit to shifting into neutral when coming to a light, going down a hill, etc. but again, I am no expert in this area. I just know it still seems weird to me that the Sorento essential slows itself down when you take your foot off the gas. None of my previous vehicles did that, but then again, my last vehicle was a 1993, so a lot has changed since then! :)

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima Hybrid (Premium, Light Graphite)
187 Posts
I kind of like the sporty feel that the transmission lends the driving experience by downshifting as you coast. Its a bit "DSG" feeling in a way. However, I am somewhat dubious about whether it saves gas. I understand the mechanics, but it really does slow your coast much earlier than neutral or the way other less aggressive automatics do. I would be surprised that it is saving gas with the shortened coasting distance vs a genuine free-coast. The only thing I find a little hard to do is smoothly slow-speed drive through my neighborhood. 25mph is a bit tough to maintain without unwanted shifting or gas pedal use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts