Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX (w/ Nav)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I was wondering what everyone's experiences are with driving a Rio in the winter? I have noticed that I have been getting stuck a lot and that the car takes a very long time to warm up/defrost before I leave for work in the morning. I had a 2000 Sunfire before the Rio, and hate to say it, but was able to get through more with the Sunfire than the Rio.

I have noticed the the stability control is great when turning corners in icy conditions, but if there is a little bit of snow build up, my car has trouble getting through it. :)

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
i hate when people say this, but search. this has been covered numerous times. and my car is awesome in the snow thankyouverymuch. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hate when people say this, but search. this has been covered numerous times. and my car is awesome in the snow thankyouverymuch. :)

Hi there, I actually did search for both "winter" and "snow" and did not find anything about winter driving specifically in the Rio or people's experience. If you hate when people say "search", then don't say it... ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much, I am still getting used to navigating the boards and appreciate the link. Sorry for the repeat post, I really didn't see it earlier.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX UVO + Active ECO
8 Posts
I haven't had any real issues honestly!

The lower clearance is a nuisance when going through large ruts... but outside of that my snow driving has been fine.

But I made sure I had snow tires on the car before driving it home the very first day.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
This is really a self-help forum. Search first and then ask us dummies. Remember, you get what you pay for here! And yes, some forums have great search engines, some are horrible...

Otherwise. 11k on my R5 and she's never gotten stuck, always forgave my driving, and gotten thru several hard snow and one ice storm without touching anything. So, despite the driver, she's done great.

Everyone wants their cars to drive like a train on rails. Heck, I stopped that nonsense and started comparing them by the opposite. How well they do handbrake turns in the snow and ice. This R5 does almost as well as my 65 Cobra. :)

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
We had a bad ice storm here in Columbus yesterday morning I had to drive though a gully to get out of my housing development. There where a half dozen cars and a firetruck heading every which way stick on the ice. I was able to go right between the lot and my little Rio never waived. It was kinda funny to see everyone's face go from "look at this idiot" to "how did he do that" :p
I
I know it's not the same as snow but I just wanted to share.

I wouldn't pretend to think the snow we see here is any comparison to what you see I did have a fair amount of bottoming out in the deeper stuff but never did she even act like she was going to get stuck.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Yeah i'm way up in northern Ontario and my car was BRUTAL with the stock tires. I got a set of winter tires and it was way better. Only negative aspect about the car in winter is the weight, in my opinion. Not much weight to the car so when you want to start from a stand still there isn't much grip.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
I had 9 inches of snow in my driveway yesterday morning. I leave for work at 5:30am, so the snow plows had not yet cleared our roads. I drove a few miles before I was on plowed roads and I had no problems. The best thing you can do for this car in snow is to put skinny, agressive tread snow tires on all four wheels. Go for the 185 width tire on a 15" steel wheel, nothing wider for snow. That will cut through the snow to the road.

I live in western Pennsylvania, and it's really hilly here. We get lake effect snows off of Lake Erie that can dump large amounts of snow pretty quickly. I have been impressed by my Rio's ability to do so well. I'm consistantly passing stuck and slow-moving vehicles, even 4x4 pickup trucks.

Also, driving in snow takes a different set of skills. Momentum is your best friend and worst enemy... you have to know how and when to use it in snow.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Nav Graphite/Tan
73 Posts
Mine was a little dicey. I never got snow tires for my car this past winter, a mistake I won't make next winter. Thankfully for me the two big storms that hit us here happened on my days off so I didn't need to go out. When I did have to drive through snow I really had to stay on top of the car. With the low profile "Hawaiian" snow tires that are standard the car the ABS/Stability Control would kick in at the slightest touch of the brakes or throttle. The two Kia dealers in my area were out of Rio winter rims and I couldn't get them anywhere else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts