Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Niro's gas tank is supposed to be 11 gallons, but when the low gas light came on and I filled the tank, the tank only took ten gallons. Anyone know how the low gas indicator works?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
The level in the gas tank gets low, you get a light on the dashboard that tells you you better buy gas soon, or you'll be stuck on the side of the road.

Sounds like your is functioning properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It leaves you a little gas in the tank when it comes on so you can find a gas station. That's why it came on with one gallon left. If you feel lucky you can drive that down to nearly nothing before stopping for gas, and you might fill up the full 11 gallons.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've driven until miles to empty shows 2 dashes, and then went about 10 more miles. It took ~ 11 gallons to fill up from there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I got my test drove a niro at the dealer it was totally low when we got in it we got a few messages on the drive about Danger the car is not designed to run out of gas and you can do serious damage to the battery by running the car dry. For that reason I am sure that there is at least a gallon buffer for when the low fuel light goes on. I hardly ever let any of my cars go less than 1/2 tank

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thanks. I always thought the light came on with about five miles of driving left, that's why a gallon seemed like a very large amount. My best guess was that the extra gas was to ensure you don't run out and mess up the hybrid system somehow.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
My previous car- DS5 diesel had the warnings programmed to come on when the trip computer thought there was less than 50 miles range left - approximately 1 gallon (UK).

The car before that - Jag X type Diesel, had the warning light come on with the trip computer showing 50 miles to go. I knew I could safely run it down to zero - because that was still nowhere near empty. About 5 miles beyond zero, it would start to misfire - but it wasn't a real misfire - it was a simulated one; programmed to start with (from memory) half a gallon left, and to get progressively worse. This was to encourage the driver to fill up before really running dry, as doing so could cause serious damage to the fuel injection and exhaust systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
jerrytaff
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing