Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I always use google for tricky conversions google conversions, it does all kinds of calculations too.

So fill to full and zero mileage and see how many miles you have done and how much fuel it takes when you next fill up to full.

I got 53 mpg from my last tank and that is fairly typical, I noticed that it gets better the more you drive (im at about 12,000 miles). Also I find that it actually reduces fuel consumption if you rev the engine quite high on the odd occasion, burn off all the junk in the engine or something i guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Kev,

Well I use a slightly different method to calculate the MPG because it's difficult to know when you actually have a full tank. The neck of the tank can hold quite a lot of fuel and when you fill up the point of full depends on the efficiency of the pump’s cut out mechanism. You know that sometimes you can squeeze more fuel in than other times, just depends on the pump. Some don’t work properly and I’m sure we’ve all been covered in petrol before now.

So what I do is use the point at which the petrol light comes on as my reference which I think is more accurate than the fill up method and besides I never fill it up completely anyway because I’m too tight. So when the empty light comes on I fill up straight away with a set amount of fuel, record how much you spent and the price per litre and work out how many litres you pumped (if your receipt doesn’t tell you.).

When you know that, multiply the number of litres by 0.21997, this gives you the number of Gallons. Record your mileage or reset your counter when you fill up and record the exact mileage when the petrol light comes on again, this gives you the exact mileage you have covered since you filled up.

Once you have the mileage figure simply divide the number of miles by the number of gallons of fuel to give you the MPG figure.

Note if you don’t get to fill up immediately after the petrol light comes on keep a check on how many miles you cover on your way to the petrol station and estimate the likely additional fuel consumed for those few miles and include it in your calculation. However a couple of miles are unlikely to have a major affect on the MPG figure.

Hope this helps.

As a side note, my Picanto has covered 6600 miles now and I’m still only achieving about 47MPG at best, to my disappointment. Soundie…how many miles had you covered before you started to get over 50MPG?

Nick ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry, i should have said that this is the method for calculating UK Gallons. To convert to US gallons use the figure 0.26417 instead when multiplying the number of litres to gallons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think that I probably passed 50mpg at about 9,000 miles (its a rough guess, ive not spreadsheet-ised my miles for a while)

Careful driving really does make a difference, drive between 2 and 3 thousand rpm and on the motorway at 60ish (so the revs run at 3000 rpm (i enjoy driving, so dont want the experience to end sooner by driving faster :p).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Soundie,

Thanks for that, so I’ve probably got a few more miles to go yet before reaching 50MPG. I am so glad I have this little car now the fuel prices have gone so high, I used to drive a 2.4L Fiat Stilo in which I used to get about 24MPG, even with very careful driving I could only get 30MPG at best.

Unfortunately for Kev and I as 'would like to be' driving instructors, we have to proceed at 70MPH on the motorway as we can fail our part 2 practical driving test for failing to make progress if we do not drive up to the speed limit when conditions allow. Bizarre but true.

Nick
:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have newbie questions bosses... is it really true that the fuel consumption is really high for the first couple of miles for picanto? will this change after ???miles? my pica is just a month old its fuel consumption is awful, its like driving a 2.0 engine.... my daily route would be a 10mile city then a 10mile highway drive... i'm not a rough driver if you would ask... i'm keen and very soft with my pedals...
:( :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Jemu,

Yeah it's pretty normal to experience poor fuel consumption in the beginning of a Picanto's life. I think i probably got around 35MPG (12.4 Km/L) for the first 1000 miles. However it keeps getting better upto and maybe even beyond 12000KM (7455 Miles).

It improves maybe at a rate of around two MPG or 0.70 km/L per 1000 miles travelled. My car has done 6800 Miles (10950KM) and i currently get about 47MPG (16.6Km/L). I am told you can average 56.5 MPG (20KM/L) once you reach 12000 KM (7452 Miles).

However i guess your driving style has a big influence!

Nick :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks Nick! your figures are matching mine.... well at least my experiences are still normal, i was a bit confused and troubled before hearing your words...

and yeah, driving style makes the difference... how would you rate my 12Km/L then? :blush: it's my best so far at 1300kms....

CHEERS!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Jemu,

No Worries. Yeah sounds like you're pretty normal or your car is anyway. I know how you feel, i was disappointed at first but someone on this forum made a good statement, 'it's like a fine wine, takes a while to mature but worth the wait'. That's how to look at it. Like i said i've done 10950 Km and i'm it's still improving each time i fill up.

1300KM is a very new engine and 12Km/L sounds pretty good to me. Why not keep a continual check on your consumption and spreadsheet it? I'm hoping to reach 50MPG (Approx. 18Km/Litre) by the first service at 10000 miles.

Nick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks again Nick.... and uh, i made my 13.3Km/L last night... its quite fun to check how we mature :) thanks for mentioning a continous checking!

nice target you have btw (47MPG), i hope i could reach it also. btw, what type of gas are you using? i use unleaded, 93 octane rating.... is it ideal to use those pricey high octane (95 up) gas at this condition?

TIA!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Jemu,
Well in the UK we have a choice of only two types of unleaded fuel, 95 RON and 98 RON. Since the 98 RON is about 4 Pence per litre more expensive, i tend to stick to the standard 95 RON. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experience of using above 95 RON in the Picanto. Does it make a difference?

13.3 KM/L sounds good to me, very good in fact!

Nick

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been using Total Excellium petrol for the last two fill-ups and my car has 1600 on the clock and I am getting 45-47MPG.

Kevin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe I'm just lucky but my driving most certainly involves both Urban and Motorway driving and my worst mpg thus far is 43mpg (once), my best was 54mpg and my average is 52mpg.

Thus far my mileage stands at 2290

I'm a little puzzled as to why this is seemlingly not normal.

Joe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
'nice to hear you guys doing great with your mpg.... :beer:
i'm afraid it would take me long to get the same thing with my pica, i'm still at 2000kms (1250miles) in more than 2 mos... i seldom use her now, lately i'm choosing my scooter for trnsportation instead... gas price is getting higher and scoots favors me and my time of travel....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I only get 33mpg in my SE! haha, but its under 10 minutes to work and I hardly take it on journeys longer then 15 minutes, plus, I'm not scared to rev it, oh well!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts