Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorrento AWD EX V6
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is embarrassing! My 2012 Kia Sorrento is losing tire pressure because I ran over a screw. I would like to repair this tire as I only have 9000 miles. According to the Kia manual the jack is in the storage bin. Great... but the Jack appears to be bolted down and I can't figure out how to remove it. I called Kia and they too didn't know. :( They suggested that I call Roadside assistance and have it towed... how stupid is that!

Can some tell me please.

thanks!!!

·
Registered
Corolla 1996, Corolla 2009, Soon Sorento
36 Posts
the jack is squeezed in there, just give the endless screw it a few turns by hand to free it up

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX
156 Posts
I just had to go through all this last weekend. The jackscrew just needs to be turned counterclockwise a few turns to get the jack to its full down position. Then you simply pick it up. Just reverse the procedure to get it snugged back down. Be careful about how you jack the vehicle up. The notch in the jack pad is there for a reason.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
I called Kia and they too didn't know.
Seriously?? How are they going to attend to a more serious problem if they don't even know how to remove the jack?

As the above two posters mentioned the jack can be simply liftted off after turning the lift knob a few times which loosens it.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Roshan, 2x what you said. As I mentioned in another post, I always check out the jacking arrangements on a new car as part of the "break-in" period.

Several of my cars have had the jack mounted in such a way that it needed to be loosened before removal. Others have had a securing bolt, but even then, it's been a good idea to put some tension on the jack screw to prevent rattling.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorrento AWD EX V6
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mantiev... thank you. You were correct. I did ultimately get the jack out after I put more light in the garage to see what I was missing. DOAH!!!!

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
1 Posts
Tire Jack removal on KIA Sorento 2015

Thanks for the info on this Forum, now I was able to remove the Tire Jack off my Sorento.
At 1st I tried pulling it up but realize it felt like it was bolted in there. So before doing any damage to my car, I decided to search online and found this forum.
As posted by the other members mentioned:
"the jack can be simply liftted off after turning the lift knob a few times which loosens it"
As simple as that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
"I called Kia and they too didn't know."
Seriously?? How are they going to attend to a more serious problem if they don't even know how to remove the jack?
Who was spoken to at the dealership? One of the service writers who's job is to sell service jobs to earn his commission? He's probably never seen the jack on the Sorento. A tech would know, probably the detail guy knows the best having detailed used Sorentos for the car lot.

Everybody--get the jack & lug wrench out, get the owner's manual open, put the parking brake on, loosen the lug nuts on one wheel a bit, jack the car up, take off the spare, simulate changing a tire, put the spare back into place, lower the car so that wheel is in light contact with the ground, tighten the lug nuts you loosened by standing on the lug wrench handle, lower the car & put the jack away.

Even if you'll never change a tire yourself, you need to know how to direct a good Samaritan or road service operator in the right way to do it.

·
Registered
02 Dodge Ram,2013 Kia Sorento
11 Posts
I'll tell one even better. Went to rotate my tires the other day and my lug wrench will not go thru the chrome clad covers on my Kia wheels and no the covers are part of the wheels and will not come off. I now carry a deep well socket and breaker bar as part of my tool kit!

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Sorry, my poor phrasing. People can get the lugs loosened by standing on the wrench handle--usually. Whether that is needed to tighten depends on the person (me, no; my wife, yes).

I just took a look at the lug wrench. It fits onto the lugs fine, but the handle is so skimpy that I'd use some judicious foot pressure to tighten them when changing a tire on the roadside. Carrying a 21 mm deep socket and 14" (or so) breaker bar would be smart. Under $20 for both--cheapest quality is probably good enough.

Does every driver of your cars know where their tire changing tools are? Where the proper, safe jacking points under the car are? Where the spare tire is (not kidding)? How to get the spare out and the flat tire into the spare's spot for the drive to the tire shop? With my jack I have flares, reflective triangle, small tarp, jumper cables. I need to put in some nitrile mechanic's gloves, rag, waterless hand cleaner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts