Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SXL AWD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on mounting and hardwiring a dashcam in my 2017 Kia Sorento. To make the installation look clean I plan on running the power cable through the front facing camera cover (at least partially) that sits behind the rear view mirror (indicated by the red arrow in the attached photo in case I am not being clear). Has anyone removed that cover yet and know how to do it without breaking anything? I have poked and prodded the cover a little bit so far but haven't yet figured out what is holding it in place and how to undo that. I appreciate any help as I don't feel like breaking things just to find out how it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
841 Posts
I run my dash cam wires through the front and door liners. No need to pry the cover open. Those cameras are calibrated and you will just mess things up. I just pushed the wire in from the sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 & 2016 Soul EV
37 Posts
I run my dash cam wires through the front and door liners. No need to pry the cover open. Those cameras are calibrated and you will just mess things up. I just pushed the wire in from the sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree! When I got my new Sorento, the front camera wasn't calibrated right. I was allowed to take home but had to return to have it fixed. Was told it either goes very smoothly or very slowly and they couldn't promise me less than a 3 day fix. Turns out, mine went well and I had it back by end of day (dropped it off at 7am) but it could be time consuming and expensive if knock the front camera and screw something up.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SXL AWD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the concern for the front camera. I am not worried though. I installed a dashcam in a similar manner in my last car and if the Sorento is anything like that one (which I am pretty darn sure it is) the cover I am talking about is just a simple cosmetic cover to hide wires and whatnot. The front camera and anything else inside the cover have their own enclosures which protect them. The way I run wiring from the driver side fuse box is to go along the side of the dash, through the left A-pillar, across the head liner, down inside the cover and then out the side of the cover. It looks a look cleaner than having a wire come down straight from the headline imho. Anyway, that is the theory. If anyone knows for sure that the cover I am talking about is the only protection for the camera then I would love to know.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SXL AWD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone else who is interested...

I had to go to my local Kia dealer to get the software update for the issues with SCC. While I was there, I asked the service manager about the cover. I asked whether it is simply cosmetic (yes) and how you can remove it. He was nice enough to grab one of the service techs from the back and he then showed me how to remove it.

To remove the front cover, first pull the rear view mirror down to get it out of the way. Then insert a small screwdriver (wrapped in tape if you don't want to damage things) at the location marked by a green arrow in the first photo. With a little prying you can release one of the catches (there are four shown in second photo) and then pry the center piece out. Once the center piece is out you can work the front cover off. There are four clips shown in the third photo. For those interested in what it looks like under the cover you can see the fourth photo. The front facing camera is completely protected in its own enclosure. There is only one other item (besides the camera) under the cover but I am not sure what it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,833 Posts
FWIW, it's very easy to grab power from the connector for the mirror. Just did that yesterday to add power for the radar detector. The rectangular cap that comes down from the headliner can be slid downward on the windshield and popped off quite easily, exposing the connector for the mirror. Mine was a 4 wire (out of 10 position) lash up, and I found power on red (far right) and ground on black (two to the left, with a space in between).

·
Registered
Sorento 2017 2.2 Diesel 2WD
266 Posts
FWIW, it's very easy to grab power from the connector for the mirror. Just did that yesterday to add power for the radar detector. The rectangular cap that comes down from the headliner can be slid downward on the windshield and popped off quite easily, exposing the connector for the mirror. Mine was a 4 wire (out of 10 position) lash up, and I found power on red (far right) and ground on black (two to the left, with a space in between).
If your dashcam has 12v input then yes you can tap directly. But there are some dash cams that needed 5v so they need a converter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts