Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the KIA USB system simply reads file and directory names for music and as I like to have either a 16Gb or 32Gb stick with music in the car I wonder how people arrange their music. The structure of my music library is in descending directories of Artist/Album/Track but I do not find that very useful on the Ceed display when using the steering controls. So what I have done is written a little programme that copies all my albums into directories with the format:

6 characters or artist name-Album Title so on the display and remove any leading "The" so I would get things on the dispaly like:

Kassa-Veloce
Muse-Absolu
David-Ziggy
Beatl-Abbey

Not ideal but it allows me to quickly change albums and artist.

Incidentally I have a 160Gb removable hard drive that my car USB outlet will happily power the only problem is the time it takes to build the library at each key turn is too long for my liking.

·
Registered
0858 Kia Pro_Cee'd 3 1.6 CRDi, Red
191 Posts
As the KIA USB system simply reads file and directory names for music and as I like to have either a 16Gb or 32Gb stick with music in the car I wonder how people arrange their music. The structure of my music library is in descending directories of Artist/Album/Track but I do not find that very useful on the Ceed display when using the steering controls. So what I have done is written a little programme that copies all my albums into directories with the format:

6 characters or artist name-Album Title so on the display and remove any leading "The" so I would get things on the dispaly like:

Kassa-Veloce
Muse-Absolu
David-Ziggy
Beatl-Abbey

Not ideal but it allows me to quickly change albums and artist.

Incidentally I have a 160Gb removable hard drive that my car USB outlet will happily power the only problem is the time it takes to build the library at each key turn is too long for my liking.
I'm still using my 80GB ipod classic, but once that fills up I'd like to get a 128GB+ pen drive. My personal view is you should arrange the folders into genres - Rock - Pop - Dance - Easy Listening etc then there won't be a ridiculous amount of folders to scroll through and you'll generally get to listen to the type of music that fits your mood.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Having a little script to automatically rename all folders to 'artist-album' is pure genius mate :)

I had a 16Gb stick with a folder named 'mixes' with long DJ or live sets (usually 1-2 hours each) _good for long journeys), if more than one album by a group I'd put them in a folder with band name (eg: Bad Shepherds), otherwise just a folder per album generally named "artist - album".

Was such a revelation when I had the SEAT - it organised the whole stick alphabetically! Suddenly everything was in an order that made sense & was simple to navigate!

If only KIA chose the obvious route, instead of the 'in order of last modified, or random order chosen by car today' methods they went with *confused*

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still using my 80GB ipod classic, but once that fills up I'd like to get a 128GB+ pen drive.
The problem with big pen drives is the amount of time it takes to build the library every time you turn the key. Its fine when you just got in the car but if you restart at a petrol station etc it rebuilds the library (or whatever it is doing) each time. IMHO it takes too long for pen drives bigger the 16Gb.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was such a revelation when I had the SEAT - it organised the whole stick alphabetically! Suddenly everything was in an order that made sense & was simple to navigate!
I had an new Altea in 2005 when they came out and did not take to it. I paid for what was then the optional bluetooth and MP3 upgrade but found it very "buggy" but I suspect its improved a lot now. I was generally disappointed with the Altea having owned two MKII Toledo's before in 2000 and 2002. The MkII Toledo was the same as the Leon but with a boot. I PX'd the Altea for a used 2005 Mondeo Ghia X for after 9 months.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW 1.4 ISG
40 Posts
You can sort the directory on a USB stick or a FAT32 partition on a harddrive with 'Drivesort' . Check :
DriveSort by Anerty
A very useful program that even allows you to sort the files in your own order.

·
Registered
0858 Kia Pro_Cee'd 3 1.6 CRDi, Red
191 Posts
The problem with big pen drives is the amount of time it takes to build the library every time you turn the key. Its fine when you just got in the car but if you restart at a petrol station etc it rebuilds the library (or whatever it is doing) each time. IMHO it takes too long for pen drives bigger the 16Gb.
Even if it was in, say 50+ folders?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts