Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Sportage SX AWD 2021 Sorento SX-Prestige X-Line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up new 2021 Sorento SX-Prestige X-Line in Aruba Green with "rust" interior option. Like most new cars with cruise control it has the annoying adaptive cruise control! You never get within passing distance of the car in front of you because it slows down WAY before you can even start thinking about passing! Now I know why so many people merge to the passing lane on the interstate 1/4 mile before they get to the car they are passing. It's to avoid this ridiculous adaptive cruise control from kicking in. I pass these people every day on I40 that seem to be camped out in the fast lane. They flip you off when you pass them on the wrong side. Now I know why! Their car slows down when you pass them and merge back over in front of them. This has to be the dumbest feature ever offered on a vehicle. My last 4 rental cars had them, but you could turn it off!

·
Premium Member
2011 Sportage SX AWD 2021 Sorento SX-Prestige X-Line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I shortened the radar range to its shortest setting and it is way too obtrusive for me. You never get to the up to the car you need to go around before you slow down. Now I understand why so many people move over to the passing/fast lane like 10 car links before they pass. If you don't, your car slows down. It makes cruise control useless. I assumed you could disable it. All other brands of vehicles I've driven you could turn this feature off by holding down the distance button. That doesn't work for this vehicle. Can a dealership disable this feature?

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
619 Posts
Why can't you just step on the gas and override the cruise until you're passed?

You can also hit the CANCEL and take over control for a short spell. When you're ready to resume with cruise control, just hit the RESUME.

How did you ever pass anyone before you had any cruise control?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
42 Posts
I have the same problem/question. Absolutely hate the radar cruise control. I cant time my passes and all that properly. Yes very intrusive. Also driving around Atlanta people WILL cut you off and even though they are going faster the cruise will freak out and slow down like no stop it! If you hold the cruise mode button it changes into something else but I dont know what it does. It will say LIMIT at the top of the screen but I set speed and it never holds anything.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige/X-Line
40 Posts
Same problem.

It is using the true, safe stopping distance.

The problem is that no one around any of us in the states will drive like that, so you get cut off, over and over, which makes you slow down again, to get cut off.

I turn on cruise and keep overriding it when needed. I do a lot of Interstate driving and I mean, I do get cut off at that distance. My Ford Escape that this replaced was the same distance, though. It seems to be that for all adaptive cruise systems, at least the ones I've used.

If they let you disable it, I'd have to guess that would be a safety issue, by the book.

Unless they had a toggle to turn adaptive cruise off, that would work.

·
Registered
USA 2021 Kia Sorento, SX X-Line Green Rust
131 Posts
Overtaking Acceleration Assist
Overtaking Acceleration Assist will operate when the turn signal indica- tor is turned on to the left (left- hand drive) or turned on to the right (right-hand drive) while Smart Cruise Control is operating, and the following conditions are satisfied:
Yourvehiclespeedisabove60 km/h (40 mph)
Thehazardwarningflasherisoff
vehicle is detected in front of
your vehicle
Decelerationisnotneededto
maintain distance with the vehicle in front

since you pass left , I thought I had done it before and it worked on a car that was slower while on cruise

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line
8 Posts
Hold the mode button down for a few seconds and the car will change from adaptive cruise control mode to “speed limit” mode. Works like normal cruise but you have to keep the gas petal pressed. It will keep you at what ever sped you set the cruise to until you let off the gas petal (car slows down) or you floor it (car goes wide open throttle). Kind of acts like a governor.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,753 Posts
Hold the mode button down for a few seconds and the car will change from adaptive cruise control mode to “speed limit” mode. Works like normal cruise but you have to keep the gas petal pressed. It will keep you at what ever sped you set the cruise to until you let off the gas petal (car slows down) or you floor it (car goes wide open throttle). Kind of acts like a governor.
Is this described in the owners manual?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line
8 Posts
Is this described in the owners manual?
Yes. See Manual Speed Limit Assist (MSLA). Section 5 page 138 in my book and there is also a blurb about it in the Smart Cruise Control (SCC), section 5 page 162.
Depending on how your car settings are set up, the car will also change the Speed Limit Assist cruise speed according to the posted speed limit. This only works on certain roads and highways, not all.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
421 Posts
Mentioned previously in a post here (for recent previous years Sorento)

I believe the right way is to turn on the cruise system and to push the following distance button for over 2 seconds?
Works for me.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
42 Posts
Mentioned previously in a post here (for recent previous years Sorento)

I believe the right way is to turn on the cruise system and to push the following distance button for over 2 seconds?
Works for me.
Nope. Just tried it. Holding down the distance just changes distance. Doesn’t matter how long you hold it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Try the button that turns the cruise on and off, hold it for 2-5 seconds.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
421 Posts
On mine, you have to hit the 'distance' button quickly after turning on cruise. and hold it down until the display confirms your choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts