Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
kia sportage LX 2020 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just switched over to Kia Sportage 2020. I inserted my usb stick to download all my music to my car but alas, there is no option to! You see, with my previous Hyundai Sonata I had an option to save to my music through the menu drop down, but with my Kia sportage I wasn't able to locate this, which really surprises me, as this is a basic feature. This is very important to me, since I share the same car with my wife and she likes totally different genre music than me, so that means every time she wants to listen to the music she likes, she has to switch artist and album which is extremely frustrating for both of us, whereas with my previous car I was able to download her music directly to car, while my music stayed on usb, thus switching between hers and mine was simple (it was a switch btwn usb and my music). Am I missing something essential here? Any ideas how to solve this?

I would appreciate any help

·
Registered
2019 Kia Forte EX, 2020 Kia Soul EX, 2002 Corvette Z06
104 Posts
I don't know how much this will answer your question but we had a 14 Sonata and a 14 Soul, then a traded Sonata for a 16 Optima and Soul for a 17 Sportage. All of these had the feature to download the music into the radio and my wife and I both loved it. Recently I traded the Optima for a 19 Forte EX and have found out the 2019 and even the 2020's do not have that feature. I was really bummed out because to use Apple Car Play I needed to plug it in, but then I couldn't plug the USB stick in to listen to my music. I think that 'my music' or 'jukebox' feature that Kia and Hyundai have had was very much desirable and useful. We are very disappointed that they discontinued that feature.

Reactions: philo

·
Registered
kia sportage LX 2020 AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how much this will answer your question but we had a 14 Sonata and a 14 Soul, then a traded Sonata for a 16 Optima and Soul for a 17 Sportage. All of these had the feature to download the music into the radio and my wife and I both loved it. Recently I traded the Optima for a 19 Forte EX and have found out the 2019 and even the 2020's do not have that feature. I was really bummed out because to use Apple Car Play I needed to plug it in, but then I couldn't plug the USB stick in to listen to my music. I think that 'my music' or 'jukebox' feature that Kia and Hyundai have had was very much desirable and useful. We are very disappointed that they discontinued that feature.
Thanks for validating my feelings of disappointment with their 2020 models

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,666 Posts
Although I also keep music on a flash drive, this is becoming obsolete as more people stream music and store it on their smartphones. Just as CD drives in cars have gone the way of the dodo bird, so will using USB flash drives. In the future, both Android Auto and CarPlay will be wireless so you will have a USB-C port available. This will happen in the next generation of bluetooth executed in car audio systems. Technology continues to innovate... I still remember Sony Beta, 8 track players, black and white TV's, and mobile phones that required a unit in the trunk. In fact, in the 90's I had a DVD navigation system with a DVD for every state and the unit in the trunk with only a screen/key unit in the passenger compartment. When I first started using computers, the only operating system was CPM as DOS didn't even exist and we ran our computers on dual 5.25" floppies. In fact, I don't think cars will even have GPS systems built in in the near future. Would it be nice to have a couple of USB ports? Sure. But why put that in when in another year or so they will have to be removed?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Forte EX, 2020 Kia Soul EX, 2002 Corvette Z06
104 Posts
Is this a Kia thing though, or a general 2020 trend?
philo....when I looked at leasing the Kia Forte, I also looked at the 19 Hyundai Elantra and found that Hyundai (sister company to Kia) did away with the music storage in the radio system. So I only know of those two companies but to be honest, most people I know with any of the Big 3 (?) cars, or any of the other foreign makes, never had that availability to store music in the radio. Can't say I'm 100% correct in that statement, but whenever I've told someone about the "my music" or that my car had a "jukebox", they were amazed because their particular brand of car did not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts