Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 kia rio
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 kia rio had 130,000 miles on it. I bought a timing belt kit, read everything I could on doing timing belts and did it as directed. I also replaced the water pump.
With all the timing marks lined up and TDC I started the car up before putting the covers and pulleys back on. She fired up and idled perfect. but when I gave it a little gas, hardly anything happened.
I figured maybe I was off a tooth. I took off the belt. readjusted the belt, fired her up. It started but now was missing a little and still not getting any RPM or power. By the fourth time I tried to get it perfect(thinking It must be a tooth off)it wouldn't even start.
I did a compression test had 70,120,70,120 lbs. Did I some how bend a valve? Can being off a tooth or two do that?
It was running great before I did the preventative maintenance. Im hoping maybe there is something I am missing. The belt broke at 62,000 miles while doing 80 mph on the freeway and there was no damage. a new belt was put on and it has run great for 70,000 miles tell I messed with it.
Any help or tips would be really appreciated. thank you.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
Your definitely off a tooth or 2. Standing on the passenger side looking at the cams, I would say the right one is off. You should just start over from scratch. Align your crank at TDC your cams right on the center mark. Put on your belt. Hand turn your crank two full turns and make sure your cams are BOTH back at their center mark.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,786 Posts
My thoughts are that 2 teeth out could cause some damage, and revving it with the valve timing off a couple of teeth puts it a greater risk.

Confirm the valve timing again, and repeat the compression test, and if the compression doesn't come right, then I'd say that you have damage.

·
Registered
2004 kia rio
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is an update on my kia. After a friend doing a compression check on it, and the results pointing toward bent valves, the car has set collecting dust. Again I wondered what pick- a- part would give me for it.
Last week another friend looked at it and said I had the timing belt on perfect and it should start, I explained the whole bent valve thing to him he wasn't convinced. Charged the battery and it fired right up but barely ran. He said to let it run for a few min. In five min. it was running better then ever. Seems the hydraulic lifters had to get filled full of oil or something to work right , and that is why the compression test was funny too. Go figure.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Always updates are welcome....
Your post I'm sure will help others...
Had the car sat before you replaced the belt at 130k?
The lifters should not have lost their oil over the very short period of time it took to replace the belt...
As always...One for the books...
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts