Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove the '06 Sportage I mentioned in my first post...loved it. Dealership was very up front about problem with rotors & hitch. Asked about timing belt today & was told they did not have that information from the last owner, so they have no idea if or when it's ever been replaced. They suggested we take it to our mechanic, before purchase, to check into it.

Our mechanic has said there is no way to tell if it needs to be replaced, if it's newer etc.

So...kinda stuck here...is there any way to know if a timing belt needs to be replaced by condition or the way the vehicle is acting?

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage 2.0; 2000 F150 Lariat 4X4; 2006 Chevy Trailblazer
57 Posts
I know of no way to tell. The belt is pretty inexpensive, so I would say just change it out and start fresh, with what you know to be fact. You do not want to gamble on the timing belt on these engines.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,614 Posts
Test drove the '06 Sportage I mentioned in my first post...loved it. Dealership was very up front about problem with rotors & hitch. Asked about timing belt today & was told they did not have that information from the last owner, so they have no idea if or when it's ever been replaced. They suggested we take it to our mechanic, before purchase, to check into it.

Our mechanic has said there is no way to tell if it needs to be replaced, if it's newer etc.

So...kinda stuck here...is there any way to know if a timing belt needs to be replaced by condition or the way the vehicle is acting?
Your mechanic is correct - even a close visual inspection is unlikely to reveal fatigue cracking and age/time related degradation.

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
304 Posts
Two options, make contact with the previous owner. This may not be achievable. Other option is to change it. If you buy, then make it part of the deal that they replace the timing belt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts