Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima Hybrid EX, 2014 Forte EX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up my wife's 2014 Forte to read texts aloud. Really helpful. But I can't figure out how to do this on my 2013 Optima Hybrid EX. Thanks for the help. Just got cars last week and whew!! lot's of stuff to go over. I'm actually reading the manuals! :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

My "13 Forte SX came with Nav and tech package but no option to read texts. If you're like me many times I forgo the nav and just use my Samsung Note2 for Nav and for texts and other notifications I use "ReadItToMe" App. Free or paid...

Works like a champ over bluetooth...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=robj.readit.tomepro
Good idea. I think the UVO system negates quite a bit of options from the NAV system. My wife has a UVO system, while I have the NAV system. Need to find a side-by-side comparison of the two. Driving me a little crazy setting up both systems.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Just wanted to mention that you can get a free app called Llama, that can trigger events for you when you get in the car.

For example, when my bluetooth auto connects, llama will set my media volume to max.

So, you can also launch apps and toggle settings. So for you, when connected to car, I would have it launch the text-speaking app and it should be audible via bluetooth streaming from the phone.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
39 Posts
Good idea. I think the UVO system negates quite a bit of options from the NAV system. My wife has a UVO system, while I have the NAV system. Need to find a side-by-side comparison of the two. Driving me a little crazy setting up both systems.
I'd be curious as to what you find. I've noticed the navi in the 13 optima really doesn't have that much functionality. Can't play dvd's, doesn't display incoming texts on android or iphone, doesn't show track meta info via Bluetooth on either platform and only does so via iphone w/ kia iphone cable. Even w/ that you cannot change stations from the head unit.

Dave

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
39 Posts
Also found out today uvo will display Pandora song title via Bluetooth, expensive navi will not. Nice job guys!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 . . . UVO vs NAV

Also found out today uvo will display Pandora song title via Bluetooth, expensive navi will not. Nice job guys!!
Yea, side-by-side, the UVO has a lot more functionality. My Nav on the Optima works fine, but all the 'little' options on the UVO - Pandora, text reading, etc. are awesome. I did download an app to my Note II that works for reading texts, but I got to remember to mute the Nav system. Kinda a pain. Also, om my Optima I recorded 4GB of music on a thumb drive and it's not playing all the songs. Wondering if I have a DRM issue? Although all songs play on the PC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts