Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Kia spectra5 Automatic. I dont know much about new cars, I also need advice and knowledge from the wise. I want to make my kia really fast but I also want it to pass the smog check. Is there anything that I can do to drastically improve the performance without having it fail the smog test? If there isnt a way then Ill just leave kia the way it is and work on my 1972 Chevy Nova.
Any information is helpful, thanks

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,936 Posts
Work on your Chevy...You can't make your RIO "really fast". It's a small block engine and not designed to handle the extra torque or horse power.. Something WILL fail under the extra load.
Dave

·
Registered
2007 Kia Spectra, 2004 Honda Civic
1 Posts
Look into a G-Force chip. They are made for many different vehocles and cost about $70 (US). G-Force claims up to 40 extra horsepower and 4-7 MPG increase. I dont know what my exact numbers are, but there is a noticable power increase in my 2004 Honda Civic. Just ordered one for my 2007 Kia Spectra. Will post results once i install it. The chip takes about 15 minutes to install. G-Force.com

·
Super Moderator
6,936 Posts
Lets see a DYNO printout on your Honda...
" I dont know what my exact numbers are, but there is a noticable power increase in my 2004 Honda Civic"
This is not good enough proof..

You posted you don't like your 07 Spectra and want to turn it into a "tuner"
in another post.. Sounds like a set up to push "gforce" junk.
Being a "NEW" (today and one other post) premium member will not save you from being totally banned if you start pushing products.

These "chips" are nothing more than a resistor that forces a false reading by the ECM...
False science...nothing more. $70 for a resistor potted in epoxy.
You also won't pass emissions testing with this "addition"
See...
Ripoff Report | Gforce Performance Chips | Complaint Review: 794770

Gforce Performance Chips Reviews - GforceChips.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

Read the WHOLE link...
GForceChips.com Reviews - Automobile Parts and Supplies Retail - Irvine, CA

SNAKE OIL cures...
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tend to agree with DavesSpectra. I've been searching for a replacement chip (Superchip) for another car we have and I have heard absolutely NOTHING good about G-Force chips...other than from G-Force themselves. I also noted I never see definitive or even empiricle proof of horsepower/performance improvements on any car equipped with a G-Force chip. Apparently, you can make a G-Force equipped car go faster but it involves a steam-powered catapult.

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
if you wanna make your kia fast install nitrous. 05 spectra motors are very cheap so if you blow one up you can go to your local salvage yard and get another motor for less than $550.00 including tax. that is the reason why i will never sell my 05 spectra5 and Dave i went to the salvage yard 2 weeks ago and pulled out 2 fog lights cover from an 02 Hyndai Elantra and it fits our car to cover the hole in the foglight. Just FYI. it cost me $5.00

·
Super Moderator
6,936 Posts
tt2jzgtes...
Thanks for the info...I still haven't "filled" the holes where the fog lights were..
The plastic mounting studs located in the bumper cover were broken off (inside)
when i got the car and it makes mounting new lights a lot harder.
I was going to put an aluminum "grill" painted black behind the holes just to fill them.
Again..Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
mine is to. but i used double sided gorrilla tape to mount it. well atleast on the driver side. since thats the side where the mounting tabs broke.

·
Super Moderator
6,936 Posts
tt2jzgtes...
We have a new poster with a 2005 spec5 that just posted (tazshido)..
Seems that he wrecked his brother's Spec5 and is buying it from him.
Hit a pole in the front and is looking for parts/info/support...
I'm trying to keep him positive and help him locate parts/info on the car.
You might say "Hi" to him...
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts