Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sedona TS 2.9 CRDI Manual 2007
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
This is my 1st post as a newbe & 1st time on a forum ... here goes ....

I bought my Kia Sedona 2.9 diesel 2004 Manual from a small but well respected local 2nd hand car dealer 3 months ago. I found the gear/shift change to be quite clunky & stiff as soon as I drove it, (as well as the clutch bite point being 1/2 inch off the floor) but I put this down to not being used to it ...
However after 2 months it started to get harder to get 1st gear from a stop. A week later it became almost impossible to get 1st & sometimes 3rd .
So I took it back to the dealer .. They tried the linkage …. No change … a new complete clutch … no change … A new Hydraulic master cylinder .. no change … & finally a new selector fork …. It WORKS !!!!
BUT … only JUST !!!! The bite point is still ½ inch off the floor & it’s still clunky & hard ( not impossible) to get into 1st at times. It feels like I need to push the pedal down another couple of inches to work …
I know it’s a hydraulic self adjusting clutch & the garage said they can’t adjust it ??? But I’m sure Kia didn’t make it this way …
Can anyone help me ??? Have you had the same or similar problem ? If so how was it fixed ? Can the clutch bite point be adjusted & HOW ???

·
Registered
08 Sonata LTD 3.3, 10 Dodge 1500 Hemi, 95 Taurus GL, 09 Sonata GLS 2.4
479 Posts
Can anyone help me ??? Have you had the same or similar problem ? If so how was it fixed ? Can the clutch bite point be adjusted & HOW ???
It's true, the hydraulic clutches used in Hyundai/Kia applications are totally self adjusting. From what you describe, I would suspect the fluid level is low OR there may be an air bubble in the line. These systems have to be bled just like hydraulic brakes. The tiniest amount of air will make the pedal spongy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken99
I know they had trouble bleeding the system after replacing the clutch ... so they replaced the hydraulic master cylinder & bled it .. no probs (so they said ?? ) The Cluch pedal itsn't spongy it's simply that the bite point is only 1/2 an inch off the floor & it feels like it's not quite disengaging fully ... given a couple more inches of movement in the pedal & I'm sure it'll work ... I'm trying to push the pedal through the floor every time I change gear .... Is there no way to adjust the height of the pedal or something ????

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks Ken99
I know they had trouble bleeding the system after replacing the clutch ... so they replaced the hydraulic master cylinder & bled it .. no probs (so they said ?? )
These systems have to be bled all the way down through the slave cylinder. I would start by making sure that was done properly. You should have someone step on the clutch while you are watching the slave. The piston rod should extend 4 or so inches from the body, if the same as a U.S, car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Antique col and Ken.

I'd just like to add my experience. Hope you dont mind me hijacking your post but I think its the exact same problem.

I've just taken delivery of a brand new 2010 Kia Sportage 4wd two days ago and this morning I could not get the car into reverse the lever kept springing back into the neutral position.. The only way to do it was to turn the engine off and then all the gears are easily selectable, press the clutch in and then start the engine. I too noticed that the clutch bite was immediate as I let the pedal up, far too soon not even the 1/2 inch you got.

Throughout the day it has been increasingly difficult to select any gear (virtually impossible at times) but predominantly first and second.

I have now taken the car back to the dealers in Stoke on Trent and left it with them until Monday morning.

I only have 150 miles on the clock!

I too feel that the clutch is not fully disengaging as you say some more travel in the clutch pedal would fix it.

When I first contacted them about it this morning they said I had probably got the carpet mat folded and stuck under the pedal!

I hope they can fix this without any long term drama as you seem to have had - sorry to hear that. Simon

My previous XS 2wd Sportage trade in was perfect .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome aboard Earthdweller... the more the merrier... Don't think it's going to be the carpet !! If it's not then please ask them How they adjusted the bite point ???
Keep us informed as to you progress Good Luck ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ken,
I'm no mechanic, so it's all been done at the garage ( not Kia dealership ) I can only presume they know how to bleed a hydraulic system !!! Are they all vey much the same from one manufacture to another ??? They did say the only thing they hadn't replaced was the slave cylinder. That could be next ... Do they go wrong & is it a big job ??
Now I've had a couple of days to drive it I find that most of the time it'll engage gear fairly easily but just every so often I have to force it in, or the gears crunch a little then engage.
How about the clutch pedal it's self, can it's position be moved at all ?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks Ken,
I'm no mechanic, so it's all been done at the garage ( not Kia dealership ) I can only presume they know how to bleed a hydraulic system !!! Are they all vey much the same from one manufacture to another ??? They did say the only thing they hadn't replaced was the slave cylinder. That could be next ... Do they go wrong & is it a big job ??
Not a hugh job and yes they go bad. More often than the master cylinder since they collect more road grime since they are mounted lower in the engine bay.

How about the clutch pedal it's self, can it's position be moved at all ?
None that I have seen or worked on have had an adjustable pedal, but that is more of the smaller vehicles in the product line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again Thanks Ken,
Well it's been a few more days now I it feels better !!! I'm sure the clutch bite point is now nearly 2 inches off the floor & it is changing quite smoothly ... It's still not perfect but definatly better than a couple of days ago .... & I have'nt altered anything !!!
I'm wondering if the cluch/ hydraulics take some time & use to ' bed in' after being messed around with ???
We'll see how it goes over the next week or so ....
Watch this space !!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well all fixed now. Needed a new master cylinder. Not bad going for a 3 day old vehicle eh?

Nothing on pedal adjustment I'm afraid, told it was self adjusting hydraulic with master outside and slave inside gearbox.

Hope yours is OK now 2 inches of play before bite sounds much better.

·
Registered
07sedona lx 2000 nubira 74 beetle 86 cbr1000 honda 93 harley lowrider 94 trooper 72 scimitar
483 Posts
probably not of any use but have heard of similar problems with landrover freelanders and sometimes a cure can be achieved by pressing the pedal fully down then slipping your foot off so the pedal flips back quickly, do this a couple of times and it may help you
ttfn glenn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Folks,
This is my 1st post as a newbe & 1st time on a forum ... here goes ....

I bought my Kia Sedona 2.9 diesel 2004 Manual from a small but well respected local 2nd hand car dealer 3 months ago. I found the gear/shift change to be quite clunky & stiff as soon as I drove it, (as well as the clutch bite point being 1/2 inch off the floor) but I put this down to not being used to it ...
However after 2 months it started to get harder to get 1st gear from a stop. A week later it became almost impossible to get 1st & sometimes 3rd .
So I took it back to the dealer .. They tried the linkage …. No change … a new complete clutch … no change … A new Hydraulic master cylinder .. no change … & finally a new selector fork …. It WORKS !!!!
BUT … only JUST !!!! The bite point is still ½ inch off the floor & it’s still clunky & hard ( not impossible) to get into 1st at times. It feels like I need to push the pedal down another couple of inches to work …
I know it’s a hydraulic self adjusting clutch & the garage said they can’t adjust it ??? But I’m sure Kia didn’t make it this way …
Hi first post from me as well, have had my Sedona for 6weeks and noticed the same gearchange problems gradually getting worse, today parked at the supermarket and couldnt get a gear, came back out drove away no problems but 2 miles up the road the gearchanges were becoming a problem again.
Looks like a call to the Kia dealer i bought it from tommorow.

·
Banned
468 Posts
Hi first post from me as well, have had my Sedona for 6weeks and noticed the same gearchange problems gradually getting worse, today parked at the supermarket and couldnt get a gear, came back out drove away no problems but 2 miles up the road the gearchanges were becoming a problem again.
Looks like a call to the Kia dealer i bought it from tommorow.

Dont know if you have done this but it may be worth a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Will have a look in the morning, cheers, the problem is really quite intermitant, sometimes ok then other times rough and then other times like today impossible to change gear?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weeeell the saga continues ......
Its been a tad over 2 months since the selector fork was changed & for the last couple of weeks the gear change has started sticking more & more ... Again !!!! ... remember 1st they changed the whole clutch then the master cylinder ....& I thought it felt better most of the time ... well now it's back to where it won't engage 1st gear 50% of the time & is difficult in 2nd & 3rd ...
So it went back today & they scratched their heads, I explained it felt there wasn't enough hydraulic pressure to fully engage / disengage the clutch. Their reply ... 'maybe an air lock is building up so we'll change all the hydaulic fluid & cafefully bleed the full system '.... After waiting a couple of hours ... no change .. So they can only suggest a new slave cylinder ... one's being ordered to be fitted when it arrives .... I have just drove the car home now & it's WORSE !!!! really hard to change ANY gear !!!
I only hope this fixes it ...
Just to let you know that the people who own this garage are being very helpfull & sympathetic & are genuinlly trying everthing to fix the car at very little cost to me !!! They are still paying the bills !!!! Credit where it's due !!!
Will keep you updated next week ....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hear you've a problem... Kenny ... How's it doing ... any progress ? has it been fixed ???
Like to hear if it has ... Col

·
Banned
468 Posts
Hi, my first. I just read, there's an adjustment for the bite point at the top of the pedal on e-how.com hope I helped
I thinks he 's already tried that see the attactchment on one of the posts above, but all iseds etc welcome on any problem thats how we all learn.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts