Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to lower my '06 spectra sx over 17" wheels will I have a lot of rubbing or should I go really low pro 16"????

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you have 17's on your car, then lower it a significant amount, until you think its going to be good enough, for the bumps and knocks, the amount of passengers you carry, the weight etc.
You have to give it some breathing space, alternatively, you can slam it.. but drive slowly everywhere ;)

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,129 Posts
You dont need to drive slowly if you get coilovers.. they are 100 times stiffer than the stock spring to make it not bottom out all the time...
If you ghetto style it with cutting the springs then oh yes it will bottom out all day long!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you lower it too much with coilovers, you're still going to get rubbing?????? Which is why you have to allow more room. You need to compensate.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
coilovers are adjustable so in turn you can slam it at a show and just go with 1.50"-2" drop for everyday driving! There is also the measure of rolling the fenders to avoid this from happening if you like it slammed!! My personal experience I had the intrax 1.75" drop springs front and rear and I only bottomed out when driving fast and hitting a big bump.... and it wasnt all that bad when I did bottom out the tire to fender. it just scrapped a little. no biggy Ill take the bottom out here and there for the great look of a dropped car!!! Plus when you lower it with either of the coilovers or lowering springs you get a much better handling ride.... There isnt an autocross car out there that hasnt modified there suspension... And I love carving the corners when i can and hate the roll you get outta the soft stock springs...

·
Registered
2006 Kia Spectra5 2007 Chevy Suburban
697 Posts
I liked the look of the Kia cars from SEMA. All of them were rolling 18's and the yellow one had the same Eibach Pro Springs that I used to lower mine. I just got back to Louisiana driving over 2800 miles with the back of my car full of over 200 pounds of Army equipment and my clothes and never once bottomed out on any of the crappy stuff that I was hauling ass over. I caught some air even going like 90 through AZ and didn't hit the bump stops when I came down. I drove throught the Grand Canyon as well and there are S curves that are 25 MPH and I was able to cruise through them at 45. My car just turned and didn't lean much. The ride is really nice when the roads are nice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
there is always the option of putting airbags on it :) low as you want high as you want and 18's work great. w/o mod to fenderwells, and or the front quarter panels.

i am running a strutbag kit from universal air suspension and fully locked up i am about and inch to 1.5 lower than stock and aired out i am about 6-7 inches lower. at normal ride height i sit almost 3.5 inches lower than stock. and i can go over speed bumps bumps in the road and all that without the strut bottoming out.

herbd

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Most dont got 1500+ to dump on air ride... But yes thats an option... Car looks great herb!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
20's

I put some 20's on my optima 06.5 and it shakes 50mph and up. this sux but damn it looks nice! my cousin works at kia and they have a few optimas that do the same thing on 20's. what you think i just need to go with a smaller rim?

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
are they balanced correctly. SOunds like there not. Size shouldnt cause shaking.. Also did you re torque them after about 50 miles then again after 250? If not Id do it. Nuts might be loose.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,692 Posts
jimejam25 said:
I put some 20's on my optima 06.5 and it shakes 50mph and up. this sux but damn it looks nice! my cousin works at kia and they have a few optimas that do the same thing on 20's. what you think i just need to go with a smaller rim?
You might want to check the centre bore is accurate. If too large and not fitted with proper adapter rings, the end result is quite likely sheared studs!

·
Registered
1 Posts
actually i have 215/30/18's on my car and there's no rubbing or anything. however, there is major road noise and the ride is a tad rough at times. im about to see if if 215/45/18's will fit without rubbing. we'll see.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
If your running 18s on a spectra im guessing your not lowered correct. Cause if you used lowering springs using 18s you gonna rub mad. Unless you get 1000$ coilovers... Or adjustables..

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
yea maybe with the eibach since they only drop it just over an inch. But with other springs like intrax when your talking 1.75" to 2" drop your in trouble....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have 17x7's with a 215/40/17 on my 06 Spectra EX and at stock ride heigth there is the same wheel well gap as stock. I know i could drop it 2"s and not rub. Just rememer to keep the tire size small if you drop it.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
cant be they wont settle a whole ". No way. My intrax only settled 1/2 tops... and with 40 series tires I had to roll the fenders.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts