Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post and I am in the market for a 2011-2013 Kia Soul. My eye is on a few with ~130k miles on it and a few with > 160k miles.

The price seems to be right for these vehicles (still figure I can negotiate down some) but wondering on reliability, etc.

Anyone on this forum driving a high mileage Kia Soul? I know maintenance records mean a lot but I come from the world of Honda where I wouldn't hesitate on a 200k mileage vehicle but I know nothing about Kia or the Soul. Anything/year I should be aware of?

Is it worth going for the 'plus' trim for the extra power? Or is the base fine. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
First post and I am in the market for a 2011-2013 Kia Soul. My eye is on a few with ~130k miles on it and a few with > 160k miles.

The price seems to be right for these vehicles (still figure I can negotiate down some) but wondering on reliability, etc.

Anyone on this forum driving a high mileage Kia Soul? I know maintenance records mean a lot but I come from the world of Honda where I wouldn't hesitate on a 200k mileage vehicle but I know nothing about Kia or the Soul. Anything/year I should be aware of?

Is it worth going for the 'plus' trim for the extra power? Or is the base fine. Thanks in advance
Judging from this forum I'd say they're reliable.

At the mileage you're considering make sure that you review the service history and steer clear of those that have a less than perfect history, and check the VIN on CarFax.

Poor oil servicing results in sludge and this impacts on the Continuous Variable Valve timing solenoids etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2011 has 172000 miles on it. Only replaced the timing belt, new wires and the fuel pump and injectors. Runs fine

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
My 2011 has 172000 miles on it. Only replaced the timing belt, new wires and the fuel pump and injectors. Runs fine
I'm surprised that your 2011 still uses a timing belt, because Kia started moving to timing chains around 2010.

If the OP is considering these Soul's he should also confirm that the TB has been changed when due, or check if the later year have timing chains.

Edit: Take a look at this similar thread which covers the models that have timing belts, and the ones that have chains - I'd steer clear of the TB.

https://www.kia-forums.com/kia-soul-forum/79738-my-wife-looking-2013-kia-soul.html

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Big changes starting with the 2012 model year with an all new (Nu) series 2.0L engine (same engine that ran right through to the 2019 model year) with a timing chain, also in 2012 was when they brought out the 6-spd auto, prior to that it was 4-spd auto and 5-spd manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I drive a 2012 plus 6 speed (2.0l) at 93k not had any trouble with it owned it 4 months. It had 1 previous local owner kept it beautifuly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 with 270K miles on it and she still purrs just fine. Potential water damage in its history due to a wreck but seems to have powered through. Would buy a new one anytime as they seem to last and have been not too bad to repair ourself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts