Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima Hybrid (Premium, Light Graphite)
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally went to test drive an SXL and was a bit confused when I noticed the LED headlight accents were not on. I could only get them to turn on by turning on the headlights. As it was daytime the headlights were on auto and not on. But niether were the accents. Are they independently controlled? Or are they only on when the headlights are on (which would suck)?
Also has anyone seen an SXL with the dove gray interior? Not a fan of black and the regular SX gray is putrid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is correct. They only come on when headlights are on. I noticed that on the new Santa Fe as well. That really sucks, wish KIA had use the LED as DRL.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh that's stupid. I knew Hyundai did that but I thought KIA had them always on. Do they not realize other drivers are going to think you forgot to turn them on? Lol

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
That's disappointing. You think they'd make it like the Sportage and Genesis...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was also quite disappointed when I figured that out during a 24 hour test drive. What really doesn't make sense is that the 2013 Sportage SX has real LED DRLs. Why would they put them on the less expensive Sportage and not on the (almost) all new, more expensive Sorento?

FYI, when I get my new titanium SXL in May, I plan on rewiring the LED "accent" lights to stay on all the time like a DRL. Maybe include a switch so I can turn them off, if needed.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
Just put my deposit on a white SXL. I also noticed the DRL which don't come on auto like my Sportage SX did. You can turn the lights on by putting into the DRL mode on the stalk. But when you have to do that every time you get in and drive. And when you turn the vehicle off, I don't recall the vehicle making any noise to alert you that you left them on. Odd I thought. In the next few days once I get playing around with it. I'll update if I find a solution. =)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Simply crazy if the LEDs only come on with the headlights. Non-drivers in the design department again?

Anyone else think that DRLs will soon become dated? Reminiscent of the old Volvos that used to have the headlights always on. "Look at me; I'm driving a Swedish Taxi!"

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX T-GDI, 2011 VW Golf GTI
63 Posts
For the US models would there be a option in the vehicle setting menu to turn the DRL'S on and off?, for us in Canada I would assume the LED equipped models would be automatically on due to the DRL'S requirement

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just put my deposit on a white SXL. I also noticed the DRL which don't come on auto like my Sportage SX did. You can turn the lights on by putting into the DRL mode on the stalk. But when you have to do that every time you get in and drive. And when you turn the vehicle off, I don't recall the vehicle making any noise to alert you that you left them on. Odd I thought. In the next few days once I get playing around with it. I'll update if I find a solution. =)
There are no DRLs on the US Sorento. The LEDs are simply the front parking lights. There's also no DRL position on the switch. Again, that's just the parking light position just like every other old car has---off, park, on. Kia just decided to use LEDs and called them "positioning lights".

Oh, and Volvos still have headlights on all the time (my dad has a 2010 XC70 with HIDs that are always on).

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
There are no DRLs on the US Sorento. The LEDs are simply the front parking lights. There's also no DRL position on the switch. Again, that's just the parking light position just like every other old car has---off, park, on. Kia just decided to use LEDs and called them "positioning lights".

Oh, and Volvos still have headlights on all the time (my dad has a 2010 XC70 with HIDs that are always on).
Same deal here. However, it (front parking lights) turns the rear lights on too, which kind of defeats the purpose of them being DRL's.

Not the wisest thinking in the world. In order to have them on, you have to have your rear lights on too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
Going on Day two with my SXL. So far I turn the light switch to the first turn past off, which turns on the DRL as well as the LED tail lights. That sucks thou cause you have to switch the lights on when it gets dark to drive at night. On the flip side thou, when I leave the LED's turned on and turn the vehicle off. All the lights go off as well and you don't need to worry about the lights staying on in that position.

I feel like writing the KIA Engineers and seeing who decided that the LED DRL are not on all the time. Very odd since my old Sportage SX came on all the time. Its also weird cause you read in the owners manual and they way I read it is that they should be on all the time anyway. Perhaps a fix is in the near future.. LOL

;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Going on Day two with my SXL. So far I turn the light switch to the first turn past off, which turns on the DRL as well as the LED tail lights. That sucks thou cause you have to switch the lights on when it gets dark to drive at night. On the flip side thou, when I leave the LED's turned on and turn the vehicle off. All the lights go off as well and you don't need to worry about the lights staying on in that position.

I feel like writing the KIA Engineers and seeing who decided that the LED DRL are not on all the time. Very odd since my old Sportage SX came on all the time. Its also weird cause you read in the owners manual and they way I read it is that they should be on all the time anyway. Perhaps a fix is in the near future.. LOL

;)
You don't seem to understand...You keep calling them DRL's. They are NOT DRL's (Daytime Running Lights). We all wish they were, but they are not. They are ordinary parking lights, that happen to be LED's instead of regular bulbs. That's why the tail lights come on too, because the first position of the switch is the "parking light" position. Most cars with DRL's don't have a switch position for the DRL's. They come on automatically with either the ignition, parking brake off, or gear selector to drive (or some combination).

Yes, the Sportage EX/SX has real LED DRL's that stay on all the time, which makes Kia f*#@ing retarded for not putting them on the Sorento.

Oh, and the owners manual doesn't say anything about the "position lights" being on all the time. (p.4-109)

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
Oh I know it doesn't. In fact I just called KIA to find out a little more on them. I was informed they are accent lights and are only designed to come on with the headlights to accent them at night. After reading multiple reviews online that describe them as DRL's, I was only assuming that is what they were meant to be. But as the KIA representative cleared up tonight with me is they are clearly accent lights. Not quite sure why on page 4-109 they would even call out Daytime Running lights then if they aren't even offered on the vehicle. They could of clearly explained them as 'Accent Lights'.

Well now that I got that cleared up I can move onto exploring more of my new Sorento. LOL :p

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX T-GDI, 2011 VW Golf GTI
63 Posts
So it would appear the RoW Sorento has the LED as DRL's alas sport age, but the US/ and sadly Canadian version only has the 50% high beams as DRL'S well at least Canada for sure

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
I think you are right. The specs on the UK version says all models have LED Daytime Running Lights. Its also funny when you go to Kia.com and you look at the image of the Sorento and it clearly has the LED lights on giving you a false idea that you are getting them. LOL .. NOT

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
I think you are right. The specs on the UK version says all models have LED Daytime Running Lights. Its also funny when you go to Kia.com and you look at the image of the Sorento and it clearly has the LED lights on giving you a false idea that you are getting them. LOL .. NOT
If I knew enough about lights/electronics, I would just rewire the LED lights to be the DRL, but alas, I do not. Perhaps someone will create this mod in the future. ;)

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
It's not too difficult. All you'd have to do is wire the parking + wire to a fuse that gets power when the engine is on and loses power completely when the engine is off. That'd involve cutting the original wire, I think.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX-L, 99 Camry LE, 93 Turbo MR2
30 Posts
It's not too difficult. All you'd have to do is wire the parking + wire to a fuse that gets power when the engine is on and loses power completely when the engine is off. That'd involve cutting the original wire, I think.
Or you could look at the wiring diagrams from the various models and figure it out.

It may be very simple. For example, the 2004 Toyota Sienna only had DRLs on certain trim levels. yet, all you needed to do was place a jumper (not even a fuse) in a certain spot in the fuse box and you got DRLs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We need one of the wiring experts over from the Kia Optima or Hyundai Genesis forums!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts