Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sedona EX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some spring cleaning in engine bay and found a hose under engine cover with rubbing damage caused by contact with underside of engine cover.

Anyone know what hose is for, taking car to dealer for oil change anyway so I will ask for hose replacement under warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
Sorento 14, Sedona 17 LX+
49 Posts
I think that is the Purge Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV), which allows excess fuel vapors stored in the carbon canister on the fuel tank to be sucked into the intake manifold and burned. An old, simple emission control thing. That hose carries fuel vapors from the carbon canister to the valve (the metallic cylindrical thing).

I just looked at my 2017, and it is rubbing also, farther up towards the PCSV. Mine is rubbing against the soft foam under the engine cover. So I trimmed the foam with sharp knife so it doesn't touch any more. The location of yours looks like it may(?) be rubbing against the edge of the black plastic cover. I know you want the dealer to do something, but if it was me I'd first try just gently bending the PCSV down a bit and/or trying to reposition the smaller hose that comes up from below and mates to the bigger (damaged) hose so the (damaged) hose is a bit lower. Or, if that doesn't do it gently shave away a bit of plastic on the edge of the cover if that is in fact where your rubbing is occurring.

Obviously I'm guessing from looking at your picture, but that is a thick walled hose, carrying unpressurized vapors, not pressurized fuel, etc. Unless the damage is a lot worse than what I perceive from the pic, I personally can't see this as something needing warranty replacement. JMO, or maybe the damage is more than I can see.

·
Registered
2016 Sedona EX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that is the Purge Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV), which allows excess fuel vapors stored in the carbon canister on the fuel tank to be sucked into the intake manifold and burned. An old, simple emission control thing. That hose carries fuel vapors from the carbon canister to the valve (the metallic cylindrical thing).

I just looked at my 2017, and it is rubbing also, farther up towards the PCSV. Mine is rubbing against the soft foam under the engine cover. So I trimmed the foam with sharp knife so it doesn't touch any more. The location of yours looks like it may(?) be rubbing against the edge of the black plastic cover. I know you want the dealer to do something, but if it was me I'd first try just gently bending the PCSV down a bit and/or trying to reposition the smaller hose that comes up from below and mates to the bigger (damaged) hose so the (damaged) hose is a bit lower. Or, if that doesn't do it gently shave away a bit of plastic on the edge of the cover if that is in fact where your rubbing is occurring.

Obviously I'm guessing from looking at your picture, but that is a thick walled hose, carrying unpressurized vapors, not pressurized fuel, etc. Unless the damage is a lot worse than what I perceive from the pic, I personally can't see this as something needing warranty replacement. JMO, or maybe the damage is more than I can see.
Thanks for the info, will see what I can do to move hose or shave cover. Never hurts to ask for warranty coverage. Will update after service

1 - 3 of 3 Posts