Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i just signed up and need help with the placement of all hose fittings on my wives 2000 kia carnival 2.5ltr engine as i had to get the heads shaved and new gaskets, but can't remember where all hoses go to. anyone with a good detailed diagram, could you please post it as i really need to get this car going for the missus.

any help will be of great value.:confused:

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Crankcase ventilation & surge tank hoses

See here for a document on the crankcase ventilation lines.

Regarding the surge tank, there are four lines connected to it:

1. The brake booster vacuum line at the rear of the tank.

2. The purge line for the fuel evaporative emissions canister (which goes via the purge solenoid assembly to the evap. canister on the right).

3. The crankcase vacuum scavenge line which then splits to the right and left camshaft covers,

4. The thin manifold pressure compensation line running from near the throttle body to the injector fuel rail pressure regulator.

Let me know if you need more help.

Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See here for a document on the crankcase ventilation lines.

Regarding the surge tank, there are four lines connected to it:

1. The brake booster vacuum line at the rear of the tank.

2. The purge line for the fuel evaporative emissions canister (which goes via the purge solenoid assembly to the evap. canister on the right).

3. The crankcase vacuum scavenge line which then splits to the right and left camshaft covers,

4. The thin manifold pressure compensation line running from near the throttle body to the injector fuel rail pressure regulator.

Let me know if you need more help.

Peter
hi peter.
thanks for reply, i have put the three piece hose from the from camcover to the back head cam cover then to the surge tank, is this correct? you say crankcase, where i the hose placement for the hose ? as the crankcase is at the front where the harmonic balancer is, or is it at the rear of the motor? i'm not into these east-west motors, give me a north-south good old V8 or straight line 6cyl that runs a carby setup, then i know where i am at, but these east-west shit i have no idea about.

·
Registered
99 Posts
hi peter.
thanks for reply, i have put the three piece hose from the from camcover to the back head cam cover then to the surge tank, is this correct?
Yep that's it, from the fitting on the surge tank just after the throttle body, to the T-piece, and then one to the vacuum fitting on the LH cam cover, and the other to the same fitting on the RH. Make sure they are on the cam cover fittings that have the orifices otherwise it'll run pretty badly, sucking all that air (having said that, I doubt the nylon tubes would reach the wrong ones anyway).

you say crankcase, where i the hose placement for the hose ? as the crankcase is at the front where the harmonic balancer is, or is it at the rear of the motor?
Terminology issue, its called the crankcase ventilation system as that's what it does, but has no connection to the crankcase itself. The crankcase gasses are collected from the fittings on the cam covers.

i'm not into these east-west motors, give me a north-south good old V8 or straight line 6cyl that runs a carby setup, then i know where i am at, but these east-west shit i have no idea about.
Yep Left/Right/Front/Back swung 90deg messes with the mind, you get used to it eventually (about 8 years in my case).

Cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
The thin manifold pressure compensation line running from near the throttle body to the injector fuel rail pressure regulator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey PeterBlue, thanx for the info. we have that hose thing sorted but can you help with a diagram of the timing setup, front and rear cam pullies as we think the timing is 180 degrees out, it wants to run but backfires through the podfilter, i know that this means timing is out 180 degrees. any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
hey PeterBlue, thanx for the info. we have that hose thing sorted but can you help with a diagram of the timing setup, front and rear cam pullies as we think the timing is 180 degrees out, it wants to run but backfires through the podfilter, i know that this means timing is out 180 degrees. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Have you got the workshop manual for the 2.5L (K5) engine? If not, forum member Conglomerate kindly posted a copy here. Kia's diagrams of the TB marks are none too clear but it makes sense if you stare at them long enough & read the text a few times. It may be worth searching for & looking through Conglomerate's posts as I recall he has posted some additional info on setting up the sprockets. Can't be too careful with these interference engines.

I've not had to take the sprockets off the camshafts on mine (my experience being limited to pulling the front TB to get to the front oil seal) but FWIW attached is my writeup as it has some photos of the front timing marks that may help.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts