Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio (A/T)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Kia Rio 94,000 Miles

Every now and then when I go to start the car instead of combustion I get a loud, very loud, metallic screeching sound. Sometimes it will go over a week of daily driving and not do it. Sometimes it will do it every time I start it for the day and everything in between. I immediately let off, wait a few seconds, and try again. Most of the times it is only once, sometimes it can be 4-5 tries.

I recently found some metal pieces on my crankshaft position sensor, which I suspect might be from the starter gear.

Anyone experienced a similar issue?

Also where exactly is the starter and are there any tricks to pulling it?

I might just pull it to inspect the gear teeth... once the highs are over 20 that is....

Thanks!

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Looking at the starter gear will give you some clues, but it's more likely the ring gear which is worn in particular places so that it is OK sometimes but screeches when the engine has stopped at a "bad" part of the ring gear.

Ring gear is on flywheel at the "back" of the engine, i.e. opposite side to generator. Check the starter motor first, which in the same region.

·
Registered
Rio-05, Sentra-08, Windstar-00, Lumina-95
30 Posts
I had the same problem. Screeching noise at start for a few seconds. Got fixed when I had the alternator belt tightened.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio (A/T)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I finally pulled the starter now that is is kinda warm out.

The teeth on the starter don't look too bad:

However, the (ring gear?) looks bad. I took the best photo I could. It looks like there is a good bit of teeth missing in the bad spot.:

I'm thinking a fresh starter isn't going to make any difference. Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts