Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I own a 2005 Kia Spectra LX with around 75k miles. I get horrible gas mileage at around 14 mpg which I know is really bad as most people with Spectra's in this year get over 30 mpg. I don't drive bad either, the automatic transmission usually shifts around 2500 rpm with the way I drive.
Recently I've done..
-spark plugs serviced
-professional fuel injector cleaning (mechanic did this and spark plugs for $180!)
-new front tires (front ones were smaller than recommended and were used back ones are in near perfect condition!)

My mechanic says he sees nothing wrong, what could this be!? I'm tired of getting this mileage.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,951 Posts
I changed my plugs for $12 (NGKs) and Chervron Techron injector cleaner is under $20.
He did you NO favor at $180
I would be looking at the items that cause poor mileage...Like a very dirty air filter (Texas dirt is a killer)... timing problems...dragging brakes...blockage in the exhaust (plugged CAT) although at 75k miles this is not a common problem.
My Spectra(s) get around 24~27 in town and 32~34 on the open road.
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He checked my exhaust and said that was fine.. I haven't checked my air filter, will be checking though. how would you check timing problems? My mechanic checked my timing belt but said I would have to replace it soon since it was already time. He said it was still good though. You are lucky to get that mpg, I hate getting 14 mpg cause I avoided buying a Lincoln LS V6 or Volvo S60 T5 Turbo cause I needed an economical car, but this car wastes more than my friend's Mustang GT (V8) -.-

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Check brakes by jacking each wheel and testing if wheel will rotate easily by hand. Transmission in neutral and handbrake off, of course. (Level ground and adequate chocking before you try this). You could also feel the brake/wheel area after a short drive where you haven't used the brakes much; they should be cool. A significantly dragging brake will be MUCH hotter than the rest.

See if you car will readily roll down a slight slope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts